2001: A Mario Odyssey

memoryman3, is there anything else you'll talk about that doesn't involve amiibo? Literally 16 out of 20 of the last posts you made involved amiibo.

Well, he'll talk about games "not having a good roster ".
Meaning complaining about lack of Daisy.

I'm more worried about Luigi himself at this point. That's one thing Galaxy onward (and 64 DS) did better than 64/Sunshine: not shafting Luigi.

I'd love Waluigi (and Wario) in this though.

Let's look at Galaxy's hype development cycle. Was Luigi ever shown while after Galaxy was announced until Galaxy's release? I don't think so.

I wasn't following games when that was in development so Luigi's presence was a nice surprise for me, though I didn't know there was absolutely no hints of him pre-release. Still, I hope he makes it in Odyssey.

As far as I remember, Galaxy didn't even make a trailer that showcased Luigi or even hinted Luigi in a screenshot. Any knowledge I have of Luigi being in Galaxy is only well-after the game has been released. I'm hoping it'll be the same case in Odyssey.

You just can't include all of this fan service in Odyssey and then leave out Luigi.

The Smash render of shirtless Mario reminded me of Master Higgins (Adventure Island):

250px-Adventureisland4.jpg

In fact, this is why I thought Mario's topless look is a bit familiar: the body stature between Mario and Master Higgins are similar, except the facial hair. It only took me to see Mario running that made me recall the picture of Master Higgins running.

Thank you for reading.

Trunks Mario said:
As far as I remember, Galaxy didn't even make a trailer that showcased Luigi or even hinted Luigi in a screenshot. Any knowledge I have of Luigi being in Galaxy is only well-after the game has been released. I'm hoping it'll be the same case in Odyssey.

You just can't include all of this fan service in Odyssey and then leave out Luigi.

This one is a little different. The internet is more widespread now than it was in 2007, and there was a trailer showing Rosalina in Mario 3D World well before release. Also, the plot, costumes and more seem to be focused on Mario and don't really leave much room for Luigi.

What if Luigi and fanservice were combined to make Shirtless Luigi?

Ryoma Hoshi said:
Pretty sure that's just weasel words that all game company representatives say when asked about something they don't want to say anything about. BTW if you were joking than nevermind. :P

But I really hope Luigi will be in the game and FTG and LGM's posts give me hope that he will be in it. They shouldn't return to 64 and Sunshine so much that they leave out Luigi.

You honestly think Luigi will be left out of the game? There's just no way. Whether he's a playable or not, he will be in it. As much as I prefer playing as Luigi though, I would rather want him to be an non-playable.

It would actually feel entertaining if Luigi is playable as well, but I would want it to be more of an extra mode, much like with how Super Mario Galaxy handled Luigi mode.

Luigi 64DD said:
Ryoma Hoshi said:
Pretty sure that's just weasel words that all game company representatives say when asked about something they don't want to say anything about. BTW if you were joking than nevermind. :P

But I really hope Luigi will be in the game and FTG and LGM's posts give me hope that he will be in it. They shouldn't return to 64 and Sunshine so much that they leave out Luigi.

It was a lot easier to include Luigi back then, but with Mario having tons of costumes and more animations than ever before, I'm not sure.

memoryman3 said:
It was a lot easier to include Luigi back then, but with Mario having tons of costumes and more animations than ever before, I'm not sure.

The Nintendo Switch game cards can hold a lot more memory than a single-layered Wii disc, so in theory, it should be possible to pull off. But if it can't be done before the release date, it could always be implemented in the form of a software update.

MnSG said:
memoryman3 said:

The Nintendo Switch game cards can hold a lot more memory than a single-layered Wii disc, so in theory, it should be possible to pull off. But if it can't be done before the release date, it could always be implemented in the form of a software update.

There's only so much time and resources in the world. Animating and making sure costumes work on Luigi could be time spent making more features and building the world. But that's just me, a jealous Daisy fan talking.

MnSG said:
It would actually feel entertaining if Luigi is playable as well, but I would want it to be more of an extra mode, much like with how Super Mario Galaxy handled Luigi mode.

I just hope he has different cutscenes from Mario's this time around.

Uh, they can easily edit the model and import animations onto Luigi with a few tweaks here and there. Hell, the playable Luigi and playable Mario in Galaxy and Luigi's Mansion respectively have their models clearly edited to fit their brother's bones.

memoryman3 said:
There's only so much time and resources in the world. Animating and making sure costumes work on Luigi could be time spent making more features and building the world.
Most of the resources that need to work are already working on Mario. It's not expensive to edit the existing models to have them fit on Luigi.

Hell, even Mario in Galaxy was screwed around to fit in the bones so Luigi doesn't look AS horrible (he still does look horrible in Galaxy). You can tell by how elongated Mario's abdomen is in Galaxy compared to the Marios in other games.

Also, that's not how game development works. Building the world and making more features are far more expensive than Luigi

By the way, LGM's signature reminds me of this:

Mario_beach_2016.jpg

SMO_swimwear_wallpaper.jpg

SMO-ND0913-SCRN17.jpg

chicken and egg problem: which came first? The artwork or SMO's prototype?

Back