Super Mario Run

Well to be fair, this is how he looked while running in 3D World and Super Mario Bros. 2 if I remember correctly.

LeftyGreenMario said:
As for that post, Mister Wu, have you looked into the artist? You know how Mario Kart 8 is made by... Marza Animation Planet? Maybe Ultra Smash is by that company as well (which is responsible for Mario Kart 8 artwork, and Ultra Smash artwork looks incredibly similar). Maybe Sports Superstars is used from 3D World artwork, though it doesn't seem as plasticky.
Well, I know that, since I discovered it by accident looking at the Wikipedia page and then at the site of Marza.

I was seriously tempted to e-mail Marza, but then I noticed this:
Mario_MK8.png

Mario_%28Jumping%29_-_MTUS.png

Mario_-_MarioPartyStarRush.png

(I just noticed that Mario Party: Star Rush uses the MT: US model)

DOF makes the comparison somewhat harder, but if you look at the gloves they seem to have a different texture, and the border of the patch with the "M" on the hat is different as well; since Marza only lists Mario Kart 8 among their works on the Mario series, this leads me to believe that they are responsible for the character models used in the artwork of that game only.

Yay, I get to look at Mario.

In my opinion, the glove textures look the same to me (square-ish textures), and the border of the M patch also looks very similar. The lighting might be casting shadows in places that change the look of the texture of the border patch, making it look more contrasty, making it look less contrasty.

Even so, maybe they didn't even make the models. Maybe they have their own rendering engine and program and just used models from Nintendo and set up the rendering environment.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Yay, I get to look at Mario.

In my opinion, the glove textures look the same to me (square-ish textures), and the border of the M patch also looks very similar. The lighting might be casting shadows in places that change the look of the texture of the border patch, making it look more contrasty, making it look less contrasty.

Even so, maybe they didn't even make the models. Maybe they have their own rendering engine and program and just used models from Nintendo and set up the rendering environment.
The site says that they made the models, so I'd rather think they just worked on MK8's models for the various artwork (I always find it funny how the Koopalings in their MK8 artwork - the only one in which they have scales - have the scales on the yellow skin and not on the green skin of the head, since Bowser is pretty much the opposite). It's still possible of course that the new Mario model is based on the MK8 one (Mario is still Mario after all...), with Marza preferring not listing it since it's no longer made uniquely by them.

But guys, Nintendo listened and came up with a still image as second hand drawn artwork:
Mario_Jump_Sketch.jpg

"Mario is still running every day. Maybe that’s why he seems faster and can jump further than before."
yeah, 3 blocks is definitely further than before... I'd say Nintendo is :bowjr: ing us.

I love how awesomely drawn concept art is lol

Absolute proof that Paper Mario is now part of the New Super Mario Bros. series. ;)

Ninelevendo said:
So I look up the price and it's $15 over here. I've kinda lost faith in 2D Mario.

Welcome to foreign economy.

I mean I'm more annoyed that they made New Super Mario Bros. Into a runner and expect you to pay more than two decent eShop games for it.

Ninelevendo said:
I mean I'm more annoyed that they made New Super Mario Bros. Into a runner and expect you to pay more than two decent eShop games for it.
Well, they also made it into a 2017 calendar...
00000472_01.jpg

Well since Iggy, Bowser stealing Peach, Bricks and ? Blocks with a Mushroom, Yoshi and a Spiny are there, I think its safe to assume that it's based on NSMB.

Technically, it is just Mario themed, but it clearly isn't based on Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine or the Super Mario 3D games. Only Super Mario World would be a good alternative, but I don't see much pertaining to that game.

By the way, I would really ilke to see this art style in NSMB games, to be honest.

I know this is off-topic but why does 2017 have the best selection of Mario calendars? That sucks because there's a Mario Kart themed one and that one has Baby Luigi (like my MK8 calendar) and it's awesome.

The Pyro Guy said:
Well since Iggy, Bowser stealing Peach, Bricks and ? Blocks with a Mushroom, Yoshi and a Spiny are there, I think its safe to assume that it's based on NSMB.
So does that mean Super Mario World, which contains Iggy, Bowser, Iggy, Bowser stealing Peach, Bricks and ? Blocks with a Mushroom, Yoshi and a Spiny is based on New Super Mario Bros.?

Nothing is based on NSMB. NSMB is just Mario using modern character designs.

Hell most of those modern designs came from sports titles or Mario party with the exceptions of main characters.

But Mcmadness, "NSMBfication" is a thing. Look it up, preferably in angry nerd circles like GameFAQs or Marioboards.

I'm surprised if it doesn't have an urban dictionary entry yet.

I know, and I called out it's ridiculousness then as I do now.

Don't worry, there are plenty of people who believe in such a ridiculous concept. You gotta thank the wonders of confirmation bias yo.

Yup, to clarify: most of the modern designs have first appeared in a spinoff game. Hammer Bro. got his shoes from Mario Party, Daisy got her short hair from Mario Party 4, Shy Guy got his voice from Mario Power Tennis, Bowser's voice is from Mario Party 5 (I think).

This quintessential "New Super Mario Bros." leaping Mario artwork originated from Mario Party 6 for crying out loud.

259px-Mario_Artwork_-_Mario_Party_6.png

Bowser was still using his N64 sounds in Mario party 5 actually.

Everything else looks accurate.

Baby Luigi said:
Don't worry, there are plenty of people who believe in such a ridiculous concept. You gotta thank the wonders of confirmation bias yo.

Circular reasoning works because circular reasoning.

That's weird how stretches were only in SMB3 but then got revived with mario maker.

For those who haven't watched the last preview of the game, at one point in the video you can see Mario in a ghost house and boos hanging on the ceiling.

Eh, normally, I'd complain that these playable character choices and Mario environments are extremely safe but eh this is a small phone game so I'll give it a pass this time and that they even bothered including extra playable characters, which is a plus.

I like some of the new mechanics introduced here, such as how acrobatic Mario is. Hopefully they'll use some of these manuevers in a full-fledged platformer.

Back