Super Mario Run

Well let's face it, she's basically part of the main Mario cast now. Her not appearing is more of a mystery than her appearing these days.

She lost her mystique three years ago back in November.

How is appearing in way less than 20 games being overused???

Its not like Rosalina is a one time character. She is a main character , its only natural for her to appear regularly.

Well, she was created to be a NPC and that's what made her so cool and mysterious. Integrating a character into the main cast, especially in a simple series like Mario, makes a character lose that effect naturally.
Anyway, unlike what someone assumed, it's not that I don't want Rosalina in because I dislike her (I don't). I just feel like Wario would bring more diversity in terms of moveset and show a greater potential for creativity & innovation because of his severe underutilization in the recent years.

superlumiella said:
I just feel like Wario would bring more diversity in terms of moveset and show a greater potential for creativity & innovation because of his severe underutilization in the recent years.
While Wario surely has potential, pretty much every Mario spin-off has him in the roster and Mario platformer typically don't have Wario in the roster anyway (with Super Mario 64 DS being an exception, not the rule), so I wouldn't talk about underutlization but rather about his series being stopped for no clear reason, which led to him being mainly a spin-off character in the last two years which is admittedly odd at best.

I want Wario Land back :(

Mister Wu said:
superlumiella said:
I just feel like Wario would bring more diversity in terms of moveset and show a greater potential for creativity & innovation because of his severe underutilization in the recent years.
While Wario surely has potential, pretty much every Mario spin-off has him in the roster and Mario platformer typically don't have Wario in the roster anyway (with Super Mario 64 DS being an exception, not the rule), so I wouldn't talk about underutlization but rather about his series being stopped for no clear reason, which led to him being mainly a spin-off character in the last two years which is admittedly odd at best.

Well, it's wishful thinking on my part. SPD's bad treatment of him is the major offender and it is probably the reason of his plummeting popularity. I don't want to see Wario be regulated as a spinoff only character and having him in a mobile game that will be seen by the masses will rejuvenate his relevancy again.

Swiftie_Luma said:

Its not like Rosalina is a one time character. She is a main character , its only natural for her to appear regularly.

I wouldn't call someone a main character if they have appeared in only 16 games. By that account, the list of main characters in the Mario franchise would be much bigger than it is right now.

It's not only appearance that counts. What if all their appearances are in recent games? And what if they constantly appear in promotional material?

A51_Trooper said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

I wouldn't call someone a main character if they have appeared in only 16 games. By that account, the list of main characters in the Mario franchise would be much bigger than it is right now.

Rosalina debuted in a main game in a supporting role , and did more than Peach ever did when she debuted , same with characters like Daisy.

She escalated relatively FAST to being playable , unlike other characters that took more time for this.

She gets new artwork and promo material everytime they can include it.

She managed to be playable in Smash , which is a huge deal considering not All the characters in each series are playable , only those considered ''Main'' are clearly included as playable.

Rosalina is not ''main'' out of her amount of appearences , which its irrelevant since she still keeps appearing and the number just goes up and up ; She is a main character because she is treated like such and because her inclusion actually have some weight inside the regular series.

Actually, Nintendo published the list of main characters in the Super Mario series in the Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros.::

EncyclopediaSMB_-_Characters_pt1.jpg

EncyclopediaSMB_-_Characters_pt2.jpg

So, yes, Rosalina is a main character.

EDIT: sorry, it was Super Mario series, that in Japan now includes Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2, hence Daisy and Wario being there.

rip Toadette :'(

Baby Luigi said:
rip Toadette :'(
And Toadsworth too. Which would have even been more appropriate, as effectively Toadette never appeared in the Super Mario series, while Toadsworth did once, like Wario, Birdo and Daisy (yes, in the Encyclopedia Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2 are Super Mario games...).

Mcmadness said:
Mario, Luigi, Toad, Toad.

You might be right. :(

This is obviously using NSMB's assets, and it might be cheaper to just slap a Toad on it...

However, I DO think that if they manage to get at least one princess playable, then there is a HIGH chance of :daisy: being playable here!

If not, then they can just add :daisy: as an IAP! I would pay £79.99!

Peach being included , if any female is included that is (and its obviously going to be her if they do) , never guaratees Daisy's appearences.

I think this was clear since forever ago.

I'm not even sure about Toads since this game is using New Super Mario Bros. 2 assests, and Toad wasn't playable.

Ninelevendo said:
I'm not even sure about Toads since this game is using New Super Mario Bros. 2 assests, and Toad wasn't playable.

You making it sound like NSMB2 was soooooooooooooooooo different than any of the other games , which no matter the difference in platforms , we all know its not really the case.

Ninelevendo said:
This game uses NSMBU assets squeezed into a smartphone.

And speaking of the "change" character option, this game would feature just Mario and Luigi (with a different ability eg. high jump, low traction).
Maybe Nintendo would add more characters in consecutive updates, like Peach (with float ability), Yoshi (with flutter jump), etc.

So if Mario and Luigi are the only playable characters....

well I'm glad to know that Nintendo is still ultra conservative on their character options. But hey at least Toadette is a referee in this game!

Next Level Camelot Games said:
Ninelevendo said:
This game uses NSMBU assets squeezed into a smartphone.
Unless I'm confused from what I've seen, the graphics look like they were ripped straight out of New Super Mario Bros. 2, such as Mario's model and the levels. The music is taken from New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which is what both 2 and U copied. The only thing from New Super Mario Bros. U is the level background/platforms in the standard area, which could even be taken from Mario Maker 3DS. There's also the music, which is a bit different anyway.

yeah

nsmbds enemies are sprites, the next games have them as 3d models

Back