Mario Sports Superstars

Swiftie_Luma said:

I absolutely hate the auto-lunge mechanic in Mario Tennis Open. So many times it lost me and my twin a doubles point because we mispredicted the ball and hit it instead of letting the guy in the back hit it. I've never played Ultra Smash so I don't know what mechanics had been changed. All I know is that I've heard it's got the best gameplay base out of all Mario Tennis games, but there's absolutely nothing on that base; if it can be compared to a house, it would consist of just the platform the house would rest on, and that's arguably not a good house.

Also Ultra Smash got rid of Miis and they're horribly balanced in Mario Tennis Open. Great to see that they stop saturating Mario games where I want to play as a damn Mario character rather than these bulbous abominations.

Stop blaming Nintendo for being lazy developers, though. They didn't develop this game, Camelot did. Blame Nintendo for giving a wayyyy too early release date so that not enough time can be spent on developing Ultra Smash. Camelot is a good developer, they clearly didn't have enough time, shown by the solid gameplay, yet lack of content.

Even so , in this context Nintendo would be at fault and not Camelot because it would be Nintendo that gets the final say in when the game is gonna be released. Camelot could have done a great game , but Nintendo didn't let them rushing Ultra Smash to the end of 2015 instead of waiting to 2016, so you are right on that point.

But Its still their fault going by that , besides since lately spin off games have been meh , it feels like sort of a trend , is not just US and its lack of content.

Actually, I found the latest Mario spin-off game, Mario Party: Star Rush, to be actually quite decent, better than meh like how Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and Mario Party 10/Island Tour had been. I think that it's still marred by a lack of overall content but I think many Mario Party fans myself included will enjoy it.

What Nintendo is doing is bad, because it forces developers like Camelot to cut corners to meet the deadlines so we accuse of Ultra Smash of being lazily put together when haste explains it more than laziness. It explains why the UI in Ultra Smash looks lazy or why there are barely any animations.

From the looks of this game so far, I think it looks fun. I'm really hoping it has as much stuff to do content wise as Mario Sports Mix, that game is my bar of expectations for this one.

Baby Luigi said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

I absolutely hate the auto-lunge mechanic in Mario Tennis Open. So many times it lost me and my twin a doubles point because we mispredicted the ball and hit it instead of letting the guy in the back hit it. I've never played Ultra Smash so I don't know what mechanics had been changed. All I know is that I've heard it's got the best gameplay base out of all Mario Tennis games, but there's absolutely nothing on that base; if it can be compared to a house, it would consist of just the platform the house would rest on, and that's arguably not a good house.

Also Ultra Smash got rid of Miis and they're horribly balanced in Mario Tennis Open. Great to see that they stop saturating Mario games where I want to play as a damn Mario character rather than these bulbous abominations.

Stop blaming Nintendo for being lazy developers, though. They didn't develop this game, Camelot did. Blame Nintendo for giving a wayyyy too early release date so that not enough time can be spent on developing Ultra Smash. Camelot is a good developer, they clearly didn't have enough time, shown by the solid gameplay, yet lack of content.

I absolutely agree BLOF. Camelot has made many great games including their other sports games. Ultra Smash had potential, but Nintendo rushed it out so it lacks that polished feel that Power Tennis had. I think Ultra Smash undeniably got its ass handed by a game from 2004, that is Mario Power Tennis on the GameCube but that's only because of Nintendo's shitty decision to rush it out. I can't believe we have a low quality Mario sports game due to one bad decision. On top of that Nintendo did absolutely nothing to polish the game up like say adding extra modes and extra characters. It is inexcusable. There was no goddamn excuse to rush it out so quickly. This is an unacceptable excuse of a Mario Sports game and a first party Nintendo game in general.

We have just receive some details about Mario Sports Superstars a few days ago. (Thanks to gameinformer.)
http://nintendoeverything.com/a-few-mario-sports-superstars-details/

Here are the important details though,
• There will be arcade elements.
• There will be Special moves and abilities.
• You can choose a couple of captains based on the Mario cast, but your team will be compromised of the typical Mario characters (Goombas, Magikoopas and F**king Toads)
• Pitching in Baseball is timing based.

That's all really, but it's still something.

HELL YES WE GOT NEW INFORMATION. EVEN SMALL DETAILS LIKE THAT.

Anyway.

In case you haven’t heard, Mario Sports Superstars features five different sports: soccer, baseball, tennis golf, and the surprise inclusion of horse racing. Game Informer notes that single matches and tournaments can be played. You start out by choosing a couple of captains comprised of the bigger characters such as Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. The rest of the team is then filled in with less prominent characters like Goombas, Magikoopas, and different costumed Toads.

The multiple character selection thing is probably applicable only to Soccer and Baseball, as the other sports, Golf, Tennis, and Horse Racing seem to be single/double player based. From what we've seen in the footage, Soccer seems to be completely homogenous with your character picks like in Super Mario Strikers (you pick one guy and the team slots get filled). Also, I think it's two captains per team in Soccer and Baseball, and the rest are generics, like in the footage.

It's nothing new at least in my eyes of my analysis of the video but glad to see that confirmed. I'm wondering if Baseball will work like in the first Super Mario Strikers. Like, I did see Penguin Toad and the like, but if you pick, say, a Toad, your team will be filled with Toad variations? Or if you pick Koopa, it's fitted with variations? Or will it be like Mario Baseball and you get to pick each individual teammates.

Arcade elements will naturally be a part of the Mario Sports Superstars experience. Game Informer mentions special moves and abilities. The magazine also says that when pitching in baseball, it’s timing-based.

I've seen Bowser execute a fire swing in Mario Sports Superstars, pretty sure it's referring to that. I'm not sure if it's character specific like in Mario Sports Mix or if it's a similarish special ability like the sidekick special abilities.

Pitching being timing-based is a new thing. I've seen different controls for it than in Mario Baseball. While you can argue that pitching in Mario Baseball games are timing based, here, it revolves on you hitting marks with a UI.

Nintendo has just released more details today.
Five full-on sports—Soccer, Tennis, Golf, Baseball, and Horse Racing—bring the challenge and depth you demand to Nintendo 3DS systems. Take on friends and rivals in local or online multiplayer, hone skills in training, or tackle single-player tournaments. Whether you pick Mario, Waluigi, or one of sixteen others, you’re on the road to superstardom!

Before long, you’ll have mastered the ins and outs of each sport: learn when to use an infield shift in Baseball, change your team’s formation in Soccer, and more. Even Horse Racing is surprisingly deep! Build a stable of horses and train them well to win the day in the first-ever horse races in series history. But remember: these aren’t normal sports—they’re Mario Sports. Expect unexpected thrills and power up to stomp the competition.

– Five full-featured sports: Soccer, Tennis, Golf, Baseball, and Horse Racing!
– Play as your favorite Mario characters, like Yoshi, Bowser, Peach, and more!
– Horse Racing makes it’s Mario Sports debut
– Take on friends and rivals in local or online multiplayer
– Single-player tournaments and training mode provide hours of feverish fun

Most notable details
  • There will be eighteen playable characters. (Sixteen are already confirmed.)
  • There is going to be a Training Mode.
  • You have to build a stable and train your horses before you can actually race them.
  • You can change your formations in Soccer/Football
  • Baseball will have in-field shifts.

That's all for now.

I'm actually curious to know what the other two characters might be; I was thinking about Wendy and Larry because of females/males ratio in the roster and because the second tends to be featured when Wendy is around while also playing two of the sports already (he rides horses in the latest Mario & Sonic and plays tennis in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga), but since Dry Bowser wasn't yet announced I think they rather might be him and Dry Bones, or the green Sprixie Princess if they want to do something about females/males ratio without sacrificing Dry Bowser.

I really hope there are multiple golf courses. I love the 3DS Mario Golf and I absolutely want more.

TB100 said:
Nintendo has just released more details today.
Five full-on sports—Soccer, Tennis, Golf, Baseball, and Horse Racing—bring the challenge and depth you demand to Nintendo 3DS systems. Take on friends and rivals in local or online multiplayer, hone skills in training, or tackle single-player tournaments. Whether you pick Mario, Waluigi, or one of sixteen others, you’re on the road to superstardom!

Before long, you’ll have mastered the ins and outs of each sport: learn when to use an infield shift in Baseball, change your team’s formation in Soccer, and more. Even Horse Racing is surprisingly deep! Build a stable of horses and train them well to win the day in the first-ever horse races in series history. But remember: these aren’t normal sports—they’re Mario Sports. Expect unexpected thrills and power up to stomp the competition.

– Five full-featured sports: Soccer, Tennis, Golf, Baseball, and Horse Racing!
– Play as your favorite Mario characters, like Yoshi, Bowser, Peach, and more!
– Horse Racing makes it’s Mario Sports debut
– Take on friends and rivals in local or online multiplayer
– Single-player tournaments and training mode provide hours of feverish fun

Most notable details
  • There will be eighteen playable characters. (Sixteen are already confirmed.)
  • There is going to be a Training Mode.
  • You have to build a stable and train your horses before you can actually race them.
  • You can change your formations in Soccer/Football
  • Baseball will have in-field shifts.

That's all for now.

Baby Peach
Baby Daisy.

There

Mister Wu said:
I'm actually curious to know what the other two characters might be; I was thinking about Wendy and Larry because of females/males ratio in the roster and because the second tends to be featured when Wendy is around while also playing two of the sports already (he rides horses in the latest Mario & Sonic and plays tennis in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga), but since Dry Bowser wasn't yet announced I think they rather might be him and Dry Bones, or the green Sprixie Princess if they want to do something about females/males ratio without sacrificing Dry Bowser.

memoryman3 said:
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy.

There
Knowing Nintendo, I'll most likely just be Dry Bones & Sprixie Princess,
(The WarioWare fan in me is hoping for Ashley & Mona though. or Kamak and E-Gadd)

i bet my Nutella jar that one of those 2 is Toadette.

Remember that Toadette was nowhere to found in the trailer. She needs to be in the game.

The other 1 i would assume it's Nabbit.

My reasoning for Toadette is because she is getting more appearences and it would be awkward to leave her out at this point.

Also only she and Nabbit have already portraits and animations for Golf that Camelot can reuse aside from Rosalina of the DLC characters

And from what we have seen , the Golf part seems to be reusing these assets , so it makes sense they can be in.

Toad and Toadette are the final two characters I want, and then the roster will be utterly perfect. Toad can easily be offset by not having generic characters be a red Toad.

I mean, I'd normally complain about 18 characters but....

BABY LUIGI IS IN THE GAME AND HE CAN RIDE A HORSEY!!!!!!!

so....

yeah.

There will be eighteen playable characters. (Sixteen are already confirmed.)
There is going to be a Training Mode.
You have to build a stable and train your horses before you can actually race them.
You can change your formations in Soccer/Football
Baseball will have in-field shifts.

Training Mode? Does that mean you get to train your stats or is it some beginner mode thing? Part of me thinks it's going to be the latter.

Lol I love the stable building thing.

Nothing new, you should be able to do this in the first place.

Dunno what that means.

Well, Toad is already a sidekick, so I don't think it's him....hmm Nintendo and Namco sees Toad as a small sidekick....HMMM.

Well, that's one of the competition knocked out from being in Smash. Go Captain :daisy:

No, it's not Toad. It's the Toad species.

Wait, they already listed Red Toad as a member.

Godammit

Well I'm still holding out for Toadette but it seems weird for her to appear and not Toad.

So wait, what exactly will the horse racing be like?

It said you can build a stable and train your horses. Can you give them ridiculous names like the ones in real life? Do you get to customize them? Maybe unlock different breeds?

I also wonder if you'll be controlling the horse or the jockey. I imagine it would work a bit like the Chao races from Sonic Adventure, where the horses go at their own pace, but you as the jockey could occasionally hurry them up at the cost of some stamina.

This last one is just a pipe dream, but I would love an announcer for the races, preferably Charles Martinet doing a faster paced Toadsworth voice. It would be near impossible to pull off well, but if they did I would love them forever.

I think you can get to customize them. I've seen horses with different colors, manes, and plumages in the trailer. I don't know if you can choose tiny horses or big horses, or if the tiny horses grow to be large horses, or if they are dependent on your character size.

I think the horses will probably move on their own but you do things that I saw in the trailer. Not sure the extents.

A new announcer will be totally amazing and one that announces races would be cool. They did that for Mario Kart Arcade series so I don't see why not.

I feel like Bowser riding a horse would kill the poor thing.

Well you got Wario riding a horse so.

Anyway, that's a reason you don't ride on Yoshis.

Baby Luigi said:
Well you got Wario riding a horse so.

Anyway, that's a reason you don't ride on Yoshis.

Wario is a lot lighter.

Baby Luigi said:
Toad and Toadette are the final two characters I want, and then the roster will be utterly perfect. Toad can easily be offset by not having generic characters be a red Toad.

I mean, I'd normally complain about 18 characters but....

BABY LUIGI IS IN THE GAME AND HE CAN RIDE A HORSEY!!!!!!!

so....

yeah.

There will be eighteen playable characters. (Sixteen are already confirmed.)
There is going to be a Training Mode.
You have to build a stable and train your horses before you can actually race them.
You can change your formations in Soccer/Football
Baseball will have in-field shifts.

Training Mode? Does that mean you get to train your stats or is it some beginner mode thing? Part of me thinks it's going to be the latter.

Lol I love the stable building thing.

Nothing new, you should be able to do this in the first place.

Dunno what that means.

I never thought about Toad and Toadette actually, and considering that the two are spin-off staples, and the fact that Nintendo's been obsessed with them lately, they are the most likely to be the final two to be announced. In fact I'll just go ahead and say that they are the last two.

If it IS Toad and Toadette, they'd have to distinguish Toad from the other Toads somehow. Considering a red Toad is already a sidekick, I don't know how they might pull that off. Maybe they can scrap red Toad as an ally.

Baby Luigi said:
If it IS Toad and Toadette, they'd have to distinguish Toad from the other Toads somehow. Considering a red Toad is already a sidekick, I don't know how they might pull that off. Maybe they can scrap red Toad as an ally.
Toad wears a blue vest though, so that alone is enough to distinguish him.
Plus he and red toad have been in the same game before. So it's not like people will be stupid enough to not tell whose is who.

Back