Mario Sports Superstars

I posted this in gFAQs, but I honestly don't see why I have to change any of my wording so here it goes...

According from I gathered from the video and what I've analyzed so far, characters are indeed split into categories, as the footage shows special or different icons from each character, regarding the sports that involve a large ensemble of them.

These are the main playable characters we know so far:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Yoshi
Birdo
Wario
Waluigi
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Boo
Rosalina
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi

We know that Baby Mario is not a side character, because he receives his own entry on the tournament board, complete with his unique emblem and shield. It's completely logical to assume that Baby Luigi will follow suit; horse-racing also does not showcase any instances of generics racing with you (think Moped Mayhem where generic NPCs can race against you despite not being playable.) and Baby Luigi is not himself a generic character.

All characters were shown in multiple sports barring Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. However, Baby Mario was seen competing in the soccer tournament mode while Baby Luigi is horse racing and it seems a bit silly to lock only these two guys separately in different modes. I'm certain they don't have much time to show everyone competing in every sport and it's a probably coincidence that they don't have enough room to showcase them off in others aside from one sport.

The rest of the characters you see, they're pretty much the generics. In soccer, for example, a map placement was shown. You can see Mario and Luigi's icon, alongside a bunch of generic blue dots which represent the generic characters. Boom Boom has his own unique banner, with him being represented by a hexagon rather than a circle like Mario and Luigi. Pom Pom should follow suit as she's similar to Boom Boom. In baseball, the generic character's icons are represented by a green circle behind them, also which the main characters lack; Boom Boom and Pom Pom lack them too, despite their unique status in soccer, so that pretty much means they're in a different tier of playable character outside from the Koopas and other generics as well as different from the main playable characters.

This means, soccer is technically 2-v-2, with the rest filling up with generics to make 11-v-11. Baseball was seen with only 2 captain-esque characters participating at a time at most in a team of the traditional 9 players, which means it's also logical to assume that only 4 player characters can be participating at a time with generics filling up slots.

If there's anything I missed, please point it out and it would be great if someone else also analyzed the video to see if my conclusions may be wrong.

MnSG said:
Mcmadness said:
Ninelevendo said:
My main concern is that the modes aren't going to be fleshed out enough. So far all we know is a tournament mode and multiplayer.

Also dang that artwork looks amazing.

That's probably exactly what it will be. They don't want to overshadow the individual sports games afterall.

Unless this replaces the individual games going forward.

It also doesn't help knowing that this game is for the 3DS. Also, the tournament screenshot foreshadows something that I'm not liking. I really dislike how Nintendo is treating Rosalina as a Power-type character, because she looks a lot more like a Tricky-type character, if anything.

Nah, Rosalina is huge and ancient so it fits her. She's like a Pokémon who uses "Ancient Power".

Waluigi is at least finally a Tricky character. Considering he's a mischievous trickster it's perfect.

BLOF I think you are more or less on point. If we must use generics I'll be using goombas because they deserve playable games dammit.

Kinda looks like Pom Pom and Boom Boom are like sub-captains, if you get what I mean. They're not generic, but they're not main either.

Or maybe they are generic, it's just that in Soccer they're goalies? Idk.

I'm glad that PAL regions is getting a Mario Baseball game(ish)!

I was wondering why were the Mario Baseball games not released in Europe and Australia? Is it because baseball wasn't popular, and we play cricket instead?

2257 said:
in other words, dry bones is gonna get *bleep*ed yet again

stupid nintendo

There are other generics that have an even worse dilemma though, so it's not like Dry Bones is alone there.

they made dry bones playable in Mario & Sonic as a guest character, and playable in Mario Party. Generic doesn't instantly mean they'll be stuck as team members.

Hell, effing BOO made it in playable as a captain. If Boo can do it, Dry Bones can too.

2257 said:
its gonna be really silly if dry bones is a team captain but koopa troopa is only a sidekick. i mean i wouldn't complain, but i just don't see it happening that way.

also, which mario party was dry bones playable in?? i thought it was just 7 and 8

You answered your own question.

Next Level Camelot Games said:
I'm glad that PAL regions is getting a Mario Baseball game(ish)!

I was wondering why were the Mario Baseball games not released in Europe and Australia? Is it because baseball wasn't popular, and we play cricket instead?
I asked a similar question.
Ninelevendo said:
So why has Mario Super Sluggers never had a PAL release? Did the GameCube game not sell well enough?
Baby Luigi said:
I don't know why aside from Baseball not being er, "popular" in Europe.

Guessing that it's probably that answer.

2257 said:
its gonna be really silly if dry bones is a team captain but koopa troopa is only a sidekick. i mean i wouldn't complain, but i just don't see it happening that way.

also, which mario party was dry bones playable in?? i thought it was just 7 and 8

I'm not really expecting Dry Bones to be playable in this game, unfortunately, but all I'm saying is that they can make Dry Bones more of a playable character than Koopa. They made Dry Bones playable in Mario Kart DS and omitted Koopa. They made Dry Bones playable in 7 and 8 while keeping Koopa as a shopkeeper. These days, though, Dry Bones is just relegated to being an NPC and I think that's a huge shame.

Dry Bones even looks playable in Mario Party 9, thanks to Ruins Rumble. Model swappers even accomplished Dry Bones being a playable character and he fits right in:

2257 said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
You answered your own question.

then i dont understand why she said that

?????

Im pretty sure she literally said that being a generic character , as in species , doesnt mean you will always be a sidekick character.

In the case of Dry Bones , Nintendo has made him individual as playable much like Toad , in the past such as in Mario Party , Mario Kart and even Mario and Sonic.

GalacticPetey said:
I hope Toad doesn't get shafted again. He and Toadette should be playable.
I feel the same. I'd like to have the main Toad get separated from Red Toad, too. They have different colored vests.

I thought the gc mario baseball game was released in pal, might be wrong though

E: according to the wiki it was, super sluggers is the one that never got released here

At least Rosalina gets to be a power type. Daisy is still regulated to the same stupid Technique type she's been for years even though time and time again she's said to be tomboyish and athletic. I don't understand why she isn't a speed type (fast moving legs from working out and built up endurance) or a power type (hard hitting moves from energy and working out). Someone needs to tell Camelot a woman doesn't need to be a 7 foot giant to be able to be significantly strong.

?????

Being a technique character doesn't discard a characters personality or presentation.

I think some people are just too obssesed with Daisy that they get salty when she gets anything that is similar to Peach.

Swiftie_Luma said:
?????

Being a technique character doesn't discard a characters personality or presentation.

I think some people are just too obssesed with Daisy that they get salty when she gets anything that is similar to Peach.

"Some people"? Lmao. I see you.

Nah, it has nothing to do with any obsession with a particular character. It's the fact that it doesn't fit the presentation and style of the character. I got annoyed when Waluigi was reduced from a technical type to a defensive type but now they finally fixed it making him a Tricky type. I just want to play as a female character who isn't technical for once either.

Class is not everything. Peach and Daisy are both technique type, but Daisy has more power than Peach. That's fine for me.

I think that for Rosalina, she feels more like an All-Around or Tricky character, so I find it rather disturbing to see her in the same category as Wario, Donkey Kong, and Bowser. I know that Rosalina is large, but she has more in common with Waluigi in that despite her size, she's not a bulky person, or at least nowhere near as bulky as the likes of Wario.

Being All-Around would mean that Rosalina can excel at pretty much any sport, and have no major flaws. But considering the she can also utilize magic, the Tricky-type would work even better, as Rosalina could always create strong curves with her shots.

The Rio 2016 Olympics have made Rosalina excel in speed and technique, and those are stats that the Power-types tend to do poorly in.

MnSG said:
I think that for Rosalina, she feels more like an All-Around or Tricky character, so I find it rather disturbing to see her in the same category as Wario, Donkey Kong, and Bowser. I know that Rosalina is large, but she has more in common with Waluigi in that despite her size, she's not a bulky person, or at least nowhere near as bulky as the likes of Wario.

Being All-Around would mean that Rosalina can excel at pretty much any sport, and have no major flaws. But considering the she can also utilize magic, the Tricky-type would work even better, as Rosalina could always create strong curves with her shots.

The Rio 2016 Olympics have made Rosalina excel in speed and technique, and those are stats that the Power-types tend to do poorly in.

She also has the worst power in the game, to the point where you can actually feel it impacting your performance if you wear her costume.

Oh, and the type of character doesn't really matter much in the long run.

MnSG said:

But Rosalina is much bigger than the average woman. You don't think that'll show in her stats?
Bulkiness is not just fatness, but also bone density and muscle size. Rosalina has plenty of that. Yeah, she's special in every way so I don't mind her seeing grouped w/ Wario and Bowser.
At least she's got her own unique skillset.

memoryman3 said:
She also has the worst power in the game, to the point where you can actually feel it impacting your performance if you wear her costume.

I will admit that Rosalina's power rating is too low in the Rio 2016 Olympics (being weaker than even Peach), but that probably has more to do with the stat balancing. Of course, event-exclusive characters typically receive stats that are best suited for their events, and last I've checked, gymnastics is a technique-based event. However, Wendy's stats are out of place for the 100m Freestyle Swimming, since that's a speed-based event, and speed is her worst stat.

superlumiella said:
But Rosalina is much bigger than the average woman. You don't think that'll show in her stats?
Bulkiness is not just fatness, but also bone density and muscle size. Rosalina has plenty of that. Yeah, she's special in every way so I don't mind her seeing grouped w/ Wario and Bowser.

You could probably say the same thing for Waluigi, but he is a lanky person, so power has often been a weak point for him.

MnSG said:
memoryman3 said:

I will admit that Rosalina's power rating is too low in the Rio 2016 Olympics (being weaker than even Peach), but that probably has more to do with the stat balancing. Of course, event-exclusive characters typically receive stats that are best suited for their events, and last I've checked, gymnastics is a technique-based event. However, Wendy's stats are out of place for the 100m Freestyle Swimming, since that's a speed-based event, and speed is her worst stat.

superlumiella said:

You could probably say the same thing for Waluigi, but he is a lanky person, so power has often been a weak point for him.

Waluigi is taller than normal, but Rosalina's tallness is even more alarming because the average woman is 5'2"-5'3" while Rosalina is 7'6". It's estrogen and the general female sex hormones that keep women shorter than men. The fact Rosalina surpassed that spectacularly points to her having some sort of superstrength or high bone density/muscle not seen in the vast majority of women. It's best expressed through her being a "power" type, with that and her strong white magic powers and all.
Also, Rosalina has a bigger build than Waluigi. Plus, Waluigi is supposed to be a weak character anyway - that's his point.

superlumiella said:
Waluigi is taller than normal, but Rosalina's tallness is even more alarming because the average woman is 5'2"-5'3" while Rosalina is 7'6". It's estrogen and the general female sex hormones that keep women shorter than men. The fact Rosalina surpassed that spectacularly points to her having some sort of superstrength or high bone density/muscle not seen in the vast majority of women. It's best expressed through her being a "power" type, with that and her strong white magic powers and all.
Also, Rosalina has a bigger build than Waluigi. Plus, Waluigi is supposed to be a weak character anyway - that's his point.

Going by your statement, that must mean that Peach and Daisy are unusually tall as well. Mario is said to be 5'1", while Luigi is a couple inches taller than him, but both of the Mario Bros. are shorter than Peach, whose height appears to be around 6'.

Back