Worst Mario Game?

Moldomré said:
Also LGM should never stop liking Mario (impossible, I know).

Anyway, as several people have mentioned, Mario USA. I don't get why people want it as a theme in Mario Maker, it just downright has some of the worst physics I've seen from a Mario game.
That's probably impossible. I remember trying to hate him years ago when I was angstier and also experienced frustration fighting him in Smash, but it's all short lived. Hell, if today, Nintendo made Mario into an unlikeable douche just as how Dorkly does with Mario or other "lol Mario is a monster asshole" fan rendition, I would dislike that iteration of Mario but still would like the character and would be depressed and disappointed in him.

Super Mario USA might play bad, but there's room for improvement, or you just don't like its core mechanics of picking up stuff and throwing it, which I imagine is more unwieldy than just stomping on things?

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Sticker Star, may not be objectively the worst but unlike most other "bad"entries, it served as a new standard, lowering the bar tremendously for future Paper Mario games and even seeping itself into the M&L series briefly. Until its influence is reversed Paper Mario will never capture the magic that drew me in, so it's MY worst.
I think Sticker Star is more of a symptom of the inevitable. I think they were planning all along on dumbing down the series during Sticker Starts development, or even earlier. I've seen arguments floating by the usual suspects (Mcmadness cough) in the argument that Super Paper Mario may have possibly influenced development of later Paper Mario. That developers saw Super Paper Mario's story and didn't like that angle of Mario stories. I don't really buy into it, not entirely, I just sometimes think that's just a flimsy reason to pile on Super Paper Mario more when I think much more went into it. Mario & Luigi games have also influenced Paper Mario's direction too. They even said that they wanted Paper Mario to be more unconventional to have more of an identity. Kind of odd since Paper Mario came first, but perhaps Mario & Luigi is more... Popular? Even though it has less representation than Paper Mario in the Smash games or probably overall as we've seen Star Spirits and snow bunnies.

I feel like Paper Mario's art style in of itself is enough to be considered quite distinct from Mario & Luigi without dwelving into battle system technicalities so that reasoning to differentiate it more by introducing unfun mechanics baffles me. You're better off with a more similarish RPG game to the other RPG sibling that plays well than a new mechanic just to separate the two series that feels dreadful.

It feels like a general Nintendo problem. Trying to innovate when the game doesn't need to.

Physics feel fine to me if you aren't playing as Luigi.

Then it's like you are walking on ice.

what if you're playing as luigi on world 4

Then I switch to Peach.

Luigi's the best character in the game and seeing his feet move at light speed when he jumps is always funny.

I love SMB2 a lot for giving each character different abilities, jump height and speed. Why don't more Mario games do this?

It's terribly difficult to balance a game if all characters have different abilities. Compromises on level design. And extra play-testing is required to play the level with all characters.

Honestly I prefer if all characters had the same abilities, so you're not stuck with a favorite character whose playstyle you don't like. That never hurt anyone except for the people who have to model, texture, and animate them (as well as voicing them and HUD artists).

I mean it's not a problem if a character doesn't feel too overpowered compared to the others. Obviously you must find a balance. Games like DKC1 do this well.

It's great for a singleplayer game like SMB2 too. If the game was multiplayer (i.e NSMBWii) I would see the problem with 2 characters being super different.

Well, Peach sorta broke the game with her floaty jump so in a sense, yeah her special powers aren't exactly balanced either even in official games. I don't think Peach was advertised as the game's easy mode too, but sometimes, I think players would enjoy using Peach if she can kill bosses in the same ease Toad can, or Luigi doesn't slip around as if he oils his shoes, or Toad can jump as well as the Mario Bros (Toad being the designated game's hard mode).

Dunno, it's an unpopular opinion I guess. I'd prefer characters play like as if they're in Mario Party or in Rayman Origins/Legends. I love the idea of personal customization for your appearance and different characters, even if they play identically, fit the bill as I consider aesthetics important.

I honestly like Peach's variety with her floating. Sometimes it can make platforming a complete non issue as the floating allows you to correct mistakes. It is very handy in World 4 in SMB2 USA. That world is a pain in the ass without her.

Unique abilities have more variety than if people were to play the same.

I can say the same with Daisy and her double jump in Super Mario Run. It also makes platforming a complete non issue as well. It can be handy sometimes.

I do like the idea of using different characters as though they are different difficulty modes, but I'd rather have the levels themselves be easier or harder depending on the difficulty while being able to play as whatever character you want without any of them being overpowered.

Maybe Lost Levels should get an easy mode...

not a huge fan of having difficulty modes locked behind completing a game. i think they should be there from the start.

Saltman said:
It's okay to be a hard Mario game.

We need more of those.
Yes please.

I unironically want an official Kaizo Mario game, with a built-in savestate feature.

Kaizo is not hard. Kaizo is bullshit.

Let's not have any fake difficulty bullshit.

Honestly, so what if the character happens to be really good? Of course, Nintendo should make it fun to play as really good characters as well as more difficult ones; otherwise it's a waste of resources, right? Because boring characters aren't fun to use and if people don't use characters you put time and effort it in, it's a waste. People generally don't like overly easy games and they'll get bored.

Mcmadness said:
Then I switch to Peach.
And not Mario? :[

Well I use Mario generally, just if the ice level pisses me off enough I'll switch to Peach.

I use Toad all the time

When you program different characters, it's not the abilities you have to compare, but it's actually how useful these abilities can be in the game itself. It's how the levels are designed that determines what character is the most useful, but by no means any of them is really better than the other.

Like say there are no pits at all... there you go, Toad is now the best character!

a furry said:
When you program different characters, it's not the abilities you have to compare, but it's actually how useful these abilities can be in the game itself. It's how the levels are designed that determines what character is the most useful, but by no means any of them is really better than the other.
Except Mario. Mario has the true best ability: the lack of one.

Dream Stone Spirit said:
Baby Luigi said:
I use Toad all the time
Toad jumps too low.
Yeah, Toad is shit at jumping. Peach's better than him at jumping and her floating is handy. Especially in Super Mario Run. I honestly loved using Peach in SMB2USA, 3D World, and Super Mario Run. Toadette is a bit better than him. Peach needs to be playable more often, same with Rosalina and Daisy. I loved the variety with their abilities. I don't care if Peach is a bit slow. Her floating makes platforming a complete non issue in ice levels like in World 4 in Super Mario Bros. 2 USA. I mean unique abilities are more fun and have more variety than duplicate clone characters like two duplicate Toads. I never minded Peach's slowness that much, she's not too painfully slow like Bowser in Super Paper Mario or Christopher Belmont in Castlevania: The Adventure for the Game Boy.

Dream Stone Spirit said:
Except Mario. Mario has the true best ability: the lack of one.
His best ability is being Mario. :) And since Super Mario Bros. USA is within Mario's dreams and therefore is affected by Mario's experiences, he also views his friends as special and wants them to succeed. Luigi for being a better jumper than him. Peach for flying free (as flying is associated with freedom). Toad for being powerful and bold despite his size. All four working together to save worlds.

Toad makes platforming a challenge and I enjoy that. He picks up veggies like no tomorrow and flings them to others like a fast machine. Also he kicks the boss's asses, what's not to like about him.

Back