Top 5 - 10 - 20 Mario Disappointments.

The most Luigi and Daisy have interacted in-game were Daisy's victory cutscene from Power Tennis, and the two playing golf with Mario and Peach in Toadstool Tour (and also NES Open Tournament Golf, iirc). I always thought of them as just good friends, but it seems people like pairing them because they're Mario and Peach's default partners and since Mario and Peach are a couple, Luigi and Daisy must be too.

One thing I didn't like in Mario Super Sluggers was that DK's stat spread was ruined, though his batting stat was improved and his pitching style is an AI breaker, even against CPU's at the highest difficulty. This will let him get strike outs quite easily.

1. SMM. The SMB mode's physics don't match the original game, no slopes (among other things of that sort), no SMB3 suits, and the whole thing feels cheaply made at times.
2. NSMBU. It's Wii HD with a pretty meh new powerup, and Wii wasn't a great game to begin with.
3. NSLU. Why would you make awful DLC for an already awful game?
4. NSMB2. It feels so cheap in quality, Star Coins are hidden in cheap ways often times, and lacks really anything of a difficulty.
5. 3D World and 3D Land. Unlike the 2D games, neither feels exactly cheaply made, but they both continue to lack difficulty. Mario games need to stop being made so family-friendly in these areas, and make them actually challenging again. This is why the great majority of games I play are retro. The post on page 1 of this topic criticizing SMB2J is wrong, the game has more to it than that. It's not like NSLU where the levels weren't improved, SMB2J's levels are much more expanded and complex, and it really adds a lot to the game. The same hasn't been able to be said for years now. Looks like Odyssey might finally break this pattern, though.
6. SMA4 e-Reader localization, or rather the lack of it. Not satisfied with the VC release, I went out and tracked out the majority of the Japanese cards. In the VC release the Switch Cards are still not accessible, neither is the blue boomerang, and it's not the e-Reader experience. I have all seven Switch Cards, and am missing eleven out of thirty-eight (nine main levels, one classic level, and one promo). I am still missing some of the best, e.g. A Sky-high Adventure (a.k.a. Inner Maze on an older patch or as it translates to, The Secret of Tanooki Mario), but it's still better than the VC release. There's nothing like breaking Castle Dash/60 Seconds/Run the Tower with the Green Switch, testing out which enemies can be killed with the blue boomerang, or even just the satisfaction of scanning the cards in themselves rather than having all the levels handed to you immediately. They're experiences that can only be experienced the legit hard way or printing out the dot codes if you have a good enough printer. I was the one who added all the difficulties to the Wiki, because it's just so hard to do things legit, and it's a shame. Next 2D Mario game should do something like this in all regions, and like SMA4, have challenging, complex levels. We've seen that it's possible through the Animal Crossing amiibo cards. It just needs to be re-purposed for this.

Mario has pretty much never been a challenging franchise. The point of it is to appeal to the widest audience it could, and adding challenge to the game can just shrink your audience. Hell, not even retro Mario was very difficult, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World are not particularly difficult games either.

The fact that Nintendo is ruining every single Mario spin off series is enough dissapointment for a life time.

Every single one sans Golf . which is super ironic because between Golf is one of the most unpopular i guess because Golf is not an 'active' sport.

even if you didn't care for SMM to begin with, i can't see how that could find it more disappointing than the 3DS version, which is literally a downgrade in nearly every aspect, and not in a similar way to most handheld ports. The problem wasn't the graphics downgrade or sprite limit reduction, the problem was the removal of other features that wouldn't really have been an issue on the 3DS anyway.

That's another of my biggest disappointments btw. SMM was fantastic and a handheld version had lots of potential but ugh.

greatdimentio said:
even if you didn't care for SMM to begin with, i can't see how that could find it more disappointing than the 3DS version

This is a false dichotomy. What if he never played the handheld version BECAUSE the Wii U version disappointed him? And because it's on a big console, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect more content there than a watered down version on 3DS; if the Wii U version was the first version that disappointed you, you can expect even less in the handheld variation and not be disappointed that it fails there too.

Believe it or not back in the day I thought Galaxy was a disappointment after sunshine.

I don't anymore mind you.

I am all to aware of that fact :P

But I've generally had different opinions on things like that.

Super Mario Maker: not as fun as I expected, prefer the 3DS version over the Wii U version

NSMBUDX: creating a meme using the Super Crown power-up, and adding only a little content to the original game

Mario Party: The Top 100: Not having 10 minigames per game like I expected, and not having Toadette or Toad playable

Handheld Mario and Sonic games: for restricting the characters to only a few events

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker: for making Toadette apart of the Toad Brigade(in my headcanon, she isn’t apart of that group, also I dismiss the Toad Brigade as just normal Toads, minus Captain Toad)

Super Mario Maker 3DS: Sucks for no justifiable reason, and is vastly inferior to the Wii U original in nearly every way imaginable. That's really all that needs to be said.

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: Destroyed the character balance of the original, removed Boost Mode and a fifth of the challenges, and ultimately fails to make up for its losses. Easy Mode and portability aren't enough to earn the "Deluxe" moniker.

Mario and Sonic Rio 2016: Could have been the best in the series...but no, they just gave all the newcomers "guest" status and could only be used in one event each. Dream Events were also heavily stripped down, as there are only three, and the Dream Events of previous games just put them to shame.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA): The weakest mainline Mario game by far, this game just oozes with mediocrity at every corner. Really, we got this garbage instead of the vastly superior Japanese version? That's just pathetic. At least the character abilities were interesting, but then again, 3D World took that concept and put it into a vastly superior game.

Mario Party: The Top 100: A mediocre, unbalanced minigame selection and a disturbing lack of content is the perfect demonstration of how a great idea can become such a mediocre game.

Dream Stone Spirit said:
Really, we got this garbage instead of the vastly superior Japanese version? That's just pathetic.

i don't think losing the japanese version of the game which is just lolzy romhack of the original smb was a big deal. there was little to no inspiration in it.

Now that I think about it, I can say that NSMBU Deluxe being made is a disappointment. I mean I wanted New Super Mario Bros. Switch with Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina playable and shit. Peachette doesn't cut it so I have to live with it. At least I can be happy that she's the closest thing to it. No one wanted this port.

Baby Luigi said:
Dream Stone Spirit said:
Really, we got this garbage instead of the vastly superior Japanese version? That's just pathetic.

i don't think losing the japanese version of the game which is just lolzy romhack of the original smb was a big deal. there was little to no inspiration in it.
I still vastly prefer the SMB2 they got to the one we got. Only thing I can compliment our SMB2 for is that without it, the actually good 3D World wouldn't exist, or at least wouldn't be as good.

smb2 usa also gave us the bob-omb

i love the super mario advance version of it though. was pretty fun collecting those yoshi eggs and i loved the character voices, especially when they revert to their small forms. luigi's was hilarious.

Baby Luigi said:
i love the super mario advance version of it though. was pretty fun collecting those yoshi eggs and i loved the character voices, especially when they revert to their small forms. luigi's was hilarious.
Well, to be fair, it was the NES version I played. I hear that the GBA version is more Mario-y and better overall, and I'd probably like that better.

Dream Stone Spirit said:
Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA): The weakest mainline Mario game by far, this game just oozes with mediocrity at every corner. Really, we got this garbage instead of the vastly superior Japanese version? That's just pathetic. At least the character abilities were interesting, but then again, 3D World took that concept and put it into a vastly superior game.
Hey, that's my favorite of the mainline NES games by far. No time limit, can play as Luigi, Luigi actually looks different, Peach isn't kidnapped, nice break from traditional Mario platformers. Japan got the short end of the stick with their ugly NES kaizo romhack. To be fair, it did have Red Piranha Plant, bouncing off enemies, and Luigi gameplay differences, but there's nothing interesting about this game aside from its difficulty. At least the other three Mario NES classics are vastly different from each other.

Dream Stone Spirit said:
Well, to be fair, it was the NES version I played. I hear that the GBA version is more Mario-y and better overall, and I'd probably like that better.
The GBA remake is better, and Luigi's and Toad's yelling are hilarious. Everyone is delightfully vocal, which players tend to blow how irritating it is out of proportion, but I think they add a lot of character to the game.

Not a top five, but here are the biggest two Mario disappointments.

mario-facepalm-1.jpg

cdb

He thought people were better and he is now very saddened.

Mario is always one to get his hopes up, poor dude.

3Bq9R6E.png

This the second one for my personal biggest two Mario disappointments that will make you cry.

5 TIMES MARIO WAS DISAPPOINTED THAT MADE HIM SAD

*arrow points at his nose*

Back