Top 5 - 10 - 20 Mario Disappointments.

I do wonder what the next game will be like and will it be on the switch? 3ds? Some unknown 3ds successor?

Fresh Bowser said:
I understand why they did it from the perspective of the type of game they were making. But I'm still disappointed that it was more of a "meeting yourself" game than a "two similar but also different universes colliding" game. There weren't any paper characters who didn't have real counterparts for example, and even some paper characters who DID have real counterparts still didn't appear (like Toadette). There was also the complete absence of Toadsworth on both sides despite him being in every Mario & Luigi up to that point and having a paper counterpart in TTYD.
Have you noticed that Paper Mario: Color Splash is missing those two characters as well? Since pretty much all paper characters' sprites of Paper Jam came from the "new" Paper Mario team, I wonder if the lack of these characters is due to said team not having made yet sprites of modern paper versions of these characters, while the paper Koopalings were probably not ready yet and including them would have spoiled one of the surprises of Color Splash (hence mentioned, not included).

But Toads didn't really get a redesign, more like they removed most of the unique looking ones. I don't understand why Paper Toadsworth/Toadette would look any different after Sticker Star. Heck, every returning character in Sticker Star that wasn't redesigned had their sprites reused from TTYD (or SPM in Peach's case)

My guess is they either forgot about him, aren't allowed to use him anymore, or just couldn't think of anything noteworthy to do with him.

I mean his biggest role in the series was partners in time and he's barely done anything since.

i probably think it's more likely to forget or not know what to do with him

Easy. There are many things they could have used Toadsworth for but only used a generic Toad. A prime example is the opening to Color Splash. Why on earth is it just a regular Toad accompanying Peach to Mario's house?

And I don't see how he's easy to forget, being one of the most interesting Toad characters and debuted in the same game as Bowser Jr. and Petey Piranha, both of which still appear nowadays.

You'd be surprised what some creators remember and forget.

It's not a Mario example but in the Dragon Ball series there was this side character named Launch who appeared fairly regularly throughout the series. She was never significant (like toadsworth) but she was often there with other characters.

Come the follow-up series Dragon Ball Z she's nowhere to be found, never mentioned, it was as if she never existed.

What happened to her you might be asking? Well it's simple. The creator simply forgot about her entirely. He forgot about a character HE created.

Hell I forget about some of the characters I created myself so it's hardly surprising :p

anyway, Intelligent Systems did forget the Mario series had a huge cast of characters outside of Toads so I'm not surprised Toadsworth got the shaft.

Which isn't all that surprising if what I heard about changes to who works there these days.

Plus unlike us most developers haven't religiously played almost every game in the franchise dozens upon dozens of times.

Well I personally think if someone is developing a Mario game they should play the series more to have an understanding of the universe they are making a game for.

I once thought AlphaDream bought the rights to Toadsworth, explaining his lack of appearances outside M&L.

And I'm sure they probably play a couple, but to play a lot of them is asking quite a few man hours in an already limited development time frame.

Not to mention just because somebody knows their history, doesn't necessarily make them a talented game designer.

5. Mario Tennis Ultra Smash - I was expecting it to surpass Mario Power Tennis, but despite surpassing it graphic wise, its gameplay feels a bit lacklustre, the low variety of characters and courts. Just the same stadium instead of having courts dedicated to certain characters and no tennis-themed minigames.

4. Toadette not getting an amiibo - The only thing I don't like about last year's Mario amiibo wave.

3. Pink Gold Peach - Where did she come from? Gee, even the dumbest Mario fan isn't dumb enough to come up with this! I was expecting her to be a one-timer, or at the very least a Peach power up, but nope.

2. Waluigi and Daisy not being in mainstream games let alone getting their own games - Mainly saying this because some of the other important Mario characters have games to themselves. Also, people like to use the same excuse for them not appearing in mainstream games let alone getting their own games being "Shigeru didn't make these characters!" Wario wasn't made by Shigeru and he has his own game series and was in Super Mario 64 DS.

1. New Super Luigi U - The worst of the New Super Mario Bros series. Nothing but a copy and paste of New Super Mario Bros U, but without Mario. Not even replacing Peach with Daisy, not even replacing Bowser with Tatanga. Changing nothing in this game except what I mentioned made this game pointless.

I don't know why people associate Tatanga with Luigi. Luigi wasn't even in Super Mario Land, if they were replacing Bowser in NSLU King Boo would've made more sense. Better yet, they could've kept the NSMBU final battle but then have King Boo come out of the Bowser costume like in Luigi's Mansion. If they bring Tatanga back (which would be a good idea btw) it should not be a game where Luigi is the main character, but rather something like Mario Galaxy 3.

ArthurEngine said:
5. Mario Tennis Ultra Smash - I was expecting it to surpass Mario Power Tennis, but despite surpassing it graphic wise, its gameplay feels a bit lacklustre, the low variety of characters and courts. Just the same stadium instead of having courts dedicated to certain characters and no tennis-themed minigames.
Yeah. I agree with your points. It is a shame that Ultra Smash was rushed. A lot of games these days are guilty for being rushed, even Street Fighter V which is an okay game from what I played of it at school at eSports two times. Ultra Smash failed to deliver what we expected. It is an okay game on its own, but it's easily the worst Mario Tennis game and the weakest entry in the Mario Tennis series. If Ultra Smash does get ported to the Switch. Nintendo and Camelot better fix up the game. For now, I will stick with Power Tennis.

I can list 6 of them, in order

1. Super Mario 3D Land: what was supposed to be the perfect blend between sidescroller and 3D Mario ended up being a fest of terribly designed and boring levels. Thankfully 3D World exists.
2. Mario Sports Mix: A sequel to one of my favorite DS games???? For a home console???? And with DODGEBALL??? Too bad all sports played the exact same and they all were boring compared to Mario Hoops 3 on 3.
3. Paper Mario Sticker Star: again, what was supposed to be Paper Mario's triumphant return to turn-based RPGs ended up being a boring snoozefest. Also again, thankfully Color Splash exists
4. Mario Tennis Ultra Smash: years since the last Mario Tennis on home console... A new one comes without even a tournament mode.
5. Mario Kart 8's character roster: what was the best Mario Kart game had the worst roster by a MILE
6. Super Mario All Stars 25th: The booklet was nice and all, but come on: only 10 songs on the disc? And Mario All Stars being a direct port? If only they ported the version with Super Mario World... Thankfully Nintendo learned from their mistakes and made that amazing Kirby compilation 2 years later

MrRoidley said:
5. Mario Kart 8's character roster: what was the best Mario Kart game had the worst roster by a MILE

Do you think this was adressed slightly with MK8D's roster or was it ruined even further by Gold Mario?

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
MrRoidley said:

Do you think this was adressed slightly with MK8D's roster or was it ruined even further by Gold Mario?

I think MK8DX did better, I mean, Jr., Dry Bones and King Boo are finally back, which is awesome! Gold Mario just seems to be a skin anyway

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
The fact that Daisy wasn't even acknowledged during the Year of Luigi was disappointing in general.

Or Baby Luigi.

They could have made him playable in Yoshi's New Island but NOPE STATUS QUO IS GOD FUCK YOU

ArthurEngine said:
1. New Super Luigi U - The worst of the New Super Mario Bros series. Nothing but a copy and paste of New Super Mario Bros U, but without Mario. Not even replacing Peach with Daisy, not even replacing Bowser with Tatanga. Changing nothing in this game except what I mentioned made this game pointless.
Actually, even now Nintendo states that NSLU is an additional content pack of NSMBU. Unfortunately, they had the idea of selling it as stand-alone game in the Year of Luigi which made people think that it was a new game - I'd say that from a cash-grabbing perspective it made sense, but it destroyed the reputation of the series.

All of New Super Luigi U's problems would have been fixed had they add Baby Luigi as a playable character in it.

MrRoidley said:
I can list 6 of them, in order

1. Super Mario 3D Land: what was supposed to be the perfect blend between sidescroller and 3D Mario ended up being a fest of terribly designed and boring levels. Thankfully 3D World exists.
2. Mario Sports Mix: A sequel to one of my favorite DS games???? For a home console???? And with DODGEBALL??? Too bad all sports played the exact same and they all were boring compared to Mario Hoops 3 on 3.
3. Paper Mario Sticker Star: again, what was supposed to be Paper Mario's triumphant return to turn-based RPGs ended up being a boring snoozefest. Also again, thankfully Color Splash exists
4. Mario Tennis Ultra Smash: years since the last Mario Tennis on home console... A new one comes without even a tournament mode.
6. Super Mario All Stars 25th: The booklet was nice and all, but come on: only 10 songs on the disc? And Mario All Stars being a direct port? If only they ported the version with Super Mario World... Thankfully Nintendo learned from their mistakes and made that amazing Kirby compilation 2 years later
1. I disagree.
2. I have not played this.
3. Have not played, but I agree anyway.
4. Have not played.
5. I agree. Bad newcomer choices started with MKW to some extent and was in full force in MK7 & 8.
6. I agree.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
The fact that Daisy wasn't even acknowledged during the Year of Luigi was disappointing in general.

And why should she be? Apart from a couple token moments she has almost nothing to do with him beyond fanon shipping.

Back