What do you want for a new Mario game?

Pascal said:
Mcmadness said:
Treat them like GOOD children's cartoon characters.

yeah thats the thing though, what would good childrens cartoons be to nintendo?
That's a difficult question, but maybe NOA has a better idea?

Mario Party Σ said:
Pascal said:
Mcmadness said:
Treat them like GOOD children's cartoon characters.

yeah thats the thing though, what would good childrens cartoons be to nintendo?
That's a difficult question, but maybe NOA has a better idea?

id hope so, but.. not sure otherwise.

In terms of ideas, it would be interesting to see a 2D variation of Mario Galaxy, in which you hop from planet to planet, except you do so in a traditional Super Mario Bros. fashion.

Pascal said:
winstein said:
An unpopular opinion, but I would at the very least like to see Daisy appear, or better yet, playable in a new Mario game. Yeah, yeah, I am sure someone will say it will never happen, but this is what I would want to see.

Thanks for reading.

trust me, you're not the only one. I have wished for years for her to make an appearance outside spin-offs and actually be more significant then her only appearance in a weaker platformer on the gbc.

Mangle the Withered Fox said:
Cirdec said:
winstein said:
An unpopular opinion, but I would at the very least like to see Daisy appear, or better yet, playable in a new Mario game. Yeah, yeah, I am sure someone will say it will never happen, but this is what I would want to see.

Thanks for reading.

I want that too. Now I hope she will be a suit in Super Mario Maker.

I third this.

Wow! I'm glad I'm not alone in wanting Daisy to be in a Mario game! It feels reassuring.

Thanks for reading.

In terms of ideas, it would be interesting to see a 2D variation of Mario Galaxy, in which you hop from planet to planet, except you do so in a traditional Super Mario Bros. fashion.

people have tried that with fangaming actually, not the best results but im sure people are still attempting, so thats cool.

I'm not a fan of planet-hopping platforming. The level design is pretty ugly.

Yeah I know, it kinda does reflect how space is mostly empty but I doubt Nintendo is clever enough to think of that. I think they just put random platforms strewn across the level and that you need launch stars to go to them....and it looks grand and stuff but in actuality it looks pretty hideous, and realism for space travel, especially how far apart things are, is NOT what you want to add in an interactive entertainment media.

i think planets should have been handled more openish, each planet having its gravity and other unique things then just hoping from ice cube to Popsicle.

I also don't like how the gravity mechanic is inconsistently handled.

Like some platforms, you can stand only "up" as in traditional Mario platformers while in others you can walk around (Puzzle Plank Galaxy being one of those offenders, it really IS inconsistent with the gravity). Also, if you're going to establish Black Holes as endless pits in the game, actually use them as endless pits rather than tossing endless pits in what's supposed to be a space game where those logically cannot exist unless the planet has endless pits in its own (like use them in Rolling Star Galaxy or Loop-dee-Swoop Galaxy, instead of just a generic endless pit).

Pascal said:
i think planets should have been handled more openish, each planet having its gravity and other unique things then just hoping from ice cube to Popsicle.

Yeah for a space game, the gravity has been literally the same throughout the entire game. I don't think there was a single level where your gravity changed in velocity, only in direction. Would have been interesting to switch between Pluto gravity and Jupiter gravity. Also, some planets could use tropes from actual planets, such as extreme winds in gas giants, worlds with diamond cores, and planets completely filled with water, not to mention hot Jupiters. I think it would also have been interesting if they based some of their galaxies after some actual galaxies; imagine a Pinwheel Galaxy or a Whirlpool Galaxy levels, both actual names for actual galaxies.

Open-world sounds fun to explore in, it's funner than just 90% of the level being empty space.

yeah thats what i was thinking and what i expected smg to be in the first place.

but nooooooooooo we cant have that

Super Mario Galaxy 2, the pinnacle of Wii graphics and visuals.

PuPlG3.png

HTFG2.png

TTG4.png

RiDoG1.png

These are actually nice, tho

CCG2.png

SSpG1.png

Funny how people would give SM3DW and 3DL shit for taking place on random floating objects and yet it's ok when the galaxy games did it.

Nobody here mind you.

Mcmadness said:
Funny how people would give SM3DW and 3DL *bleep* for taking place on random floating objects and yet it's ok when the galaxy games did it.

The more I think about it, the more I think Galaxy is more praised than it really deserves. 3D Land/3D World does the linearity better, while 64 and Sunshine does the exploration better. Galaxy is squat in the center, doing neither at its best in the Mario series. I think the grandiose atmosphere and presentation is the reason people like it so much, because the level design is honestly just....you know, random platform hopping with 90% empty space and nearly zero sense of progression other than flinging from a Grand Star that passes through said empty space and randomly landing in another planet because reasons.

I'm also not a fan of how 3D Land/3D World is just random platforms floating in the middle of space. Splatoon does something like this too and it's greatly irritating to keep seeing this stupid level progression being a recurring element in not just Mario but other game series as well.

hell ratchet & clank a crack in time did better space gameplay since you can actually fly a ship that goes to different planets and they maybe be small but at least you can explore the space and not just look at it.

I don't mind floating objects in the middle of nowhere but I admit it does leave something to be desired.

A fresh idea would be to reuse older villains, like Wart, Tatanga or :wario: in a main series game (okay sml wasnt main series but w/e make it canon)

Bowser could be hiring them to take out the Mario bros.

I'd like to see a Metroidvania styled Mario platformer. The Metroidvania genre is the next direction the 2D Mario platformers should take.

Mario Party Σ said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2, the pinnacle of Wii graphics and visuals.
PuPlG3.png

HTFG2.png

TTG4.png

RiDoG1.png

That's far beyond anything that could have possibly have been outputted by the PlayStation 2's Graphics Synthesizer.

Sony_Graphics_Synthesizer_CXD29314GB.jpg

I want the final battle to be a combination of 3D World/land's chase finale and an actual battle at the end of it.

Eri Ayase said:
Pwwnd123 said:
That's far beyond anything that could have possibly have been outputted by the PlayStation 2's Graphics Synthesizer.
154336-Shadow_of_the_Colossus_(Europe,_Australia)_(En,Fr,De,Es,It)-2.jpg

130720-SotC1.jpg

Shadow-of-the-Colossus-SOTC-Wallpaper-Avion-Delta-Phoenix-00-1.jpg

Besides, why the fuck is he comparing a next-gen console to a PS2? It's unfair. A proper comparison should be between a PS3 game and .... that.

"that" is shadow of the colossus and theres also a ps3 version so we can compare that very well

When I meant by "that" I mean the ----stain level design that is Galaxy 2.

Sorry if I confused you.

While Galaxy definitely isn't free from this level design, its levels felt better designed than Galaxy 2's levels.

Pwwnd123 said:
I'd like to see a Metroidvania styled Mario platformer. The Metroidvania genre is the next direction the 2D Mario platformers should take.
It's not necessarily the only one it could take and IMO not the best one to take, but I do agree that the next main 2D Mario game should bring changes to the usual formula after it has been used so many times without many substantial changes.

Sorry I have been gone for a while. My computer was broken and Kamek said he forgot the spell to fix it, although I think he just sees me as a waste of time. Anyway I came up with an idea for a storyline where Mario, Luigi, and Toad are locked in a max-security prison in Bowser's kingdom, although Nabbit busts them out. (Also, Nabbit would not be permanently invincible in this game. There is a powerup giving characters the ability to use their own special abilities.) Any ideas for expanding on this story? :bowjr:

Back