post any random Mario thought on your mind

Tanks A Lot. That gutter trash of a user page has been through more revisions than the time I spent editing Mario Sports Superstars articles.

....okay not that much but I've had several overhauls because I hated how to present myself

Mephiles
Astaroth
Corvus
M.Bison
Ganondorf
Dracula from castlevania
Most badguys in Diablo
And thats not even listing the ones where the actual Satan appears in games.

All I'm saying is that the satan thing is so common in games even Wreck it Ralph made fun of it.

i was thinking about harry potter and the chamber of secrets (the pc game) and realisedf. what if, like hp2, the next 3d mario had a hub world that was absolutely full of secrets in it? having power stars (or whatever the games equivalent of that may be) and the like. i know mario 64 had something of those sorts but iirc they just lead to other levels. not sure about sunshine or galaxy 1/2 though. but yea! doing a lil puzzle to unlock a room that leads you to a star, just finding a lil hidden spot, etc. did any of that make sense
Super Mario 64 does have a few out-of-the-way spots, particularly the remake with the colored rabbits. I recall one spot above the door in the courtyard that has one of those. There is another indent in the Jolly Roger Bay Room that gives you a 1-Up. And of course there's going through the "mirror" in the room with Snow Man's Land to get a free Power Star in the door. Galaxy 1 had some hidden 1-Ups such as below the observatory, on top of some structures, and one at the very top, if I recall correctly, while Delfino Plaza, my memory's hazy, but I'll be surprised if if has nothing. I think what you're asking for is a hub that's pretty similar to Peach's Castle in setup but has even more little stuff you can find in out-of-the-way locations and contains even puzzles as you said. Just have to balance that with ease of navigation, a cohesive hub. I'm sure prior trouble with navigation is how we downgraded from hub to just an ugly spaceship that travels between worlds, and it has barely anything

Reactions: zel
yea a pretty big hub like peachs castle would fit pretty well for having tons of secrets in it. the hubs in the first three hp games do work like that!

Mario and Luigi being amish cavemen is my new canon. It's so good holy shit

Your thoughts @Jolly DönerMax ?

Oh my god it's even better than I hoped

At some point, humans gained the ability to use tools... At first, they were simple things using the bones of animals and fragments of rock. using their wisdom, humans improved their tools. harnessing fire, wind, and nowadays even atomic energy, they began to build up a sophisticated culture.
On the other hand, however, there are people who still only use stone. How do they catch game and defend themselves from outsiders? Using only their strong jumping power and stone spheres. they use those skillfully to defend themselves.
Here, we introduce two such people. it seems their names are Mario and Luigi. Will they ever learn about sophisticated culture?

this is canon

So I just did half of my who-knows-how-many-now playthrough of SM64.

Still holds up barring a few things here and there.

Bowser is never going to get a role in a paper mario game as good as the first one ever again is he...

that won't happen unless paper mario first start getting its shit together and actually has a battle system worth playing

that won't happen unless paper mario first start getting its shit together and actually has a battle system worth playing
Otherwise it's just Bowser being the final boss with a combined total of five minutes of screen time, which is nothing we haven't seen before.

Bowser being the final boss and the battle system becoming good are not at all connected what are you talking about?

Plot and gameplay are two different things. Not having Bowser as a final boss does not magically improve the battle system all of a sudden. Unless I took it the wrong way your statement makes no sense.

Like, one of the fundamental problems of Sticker Star was to transform Paper Mario into something it was not, including its battle system, and Bowser's portrayal in Sticker Star in that he was a monster who had no dialogue was a victim of it. Color Splash was an attempt to recover from that premise, but it never quite got up after that. My point was, that in their effort to overhaul the series in Sticker Star and transform the game into something more familiar with the core series and overhaul the gameplay as well, you also suffer causalities in terms of dialogue and character personality/variety.

Bowser had been degraded since TTYD. He was stupid in TTYD, and he was even stupider in SPM, and then, he had nothing at all. However, Paper Mario 64's portrayal of Bowser was almost flawless, and I would imagine it would be difficult to top that: he was mostly threatening and hammy, but he had some entertaining moments, which I found a perfect balance for a villain like Bowser.

Also, Bowser has his theme song from 64, and it's unmatched, period.

The Final boss theme for Paper Mario is amazing too.

But I mean, I have never taken Paper Mario story seriously... actually that's a lie, there was a time where I thought it made Paper Mario the best thing ever, but nowadays I just consider the story a bunch of lines that you may either laugh, agree with or cringe at, and that you're reading these just to get to playing the game, not playing the game so you can read these.

With that out of the way, I agree. Bowser was at his best in the first game, and pretty much was lowered ever since then. But I think that Color Splash did a pretty good job, and that it would be much better also if they didn't revert him back to his SPM self DURING THE FINAL BATTLE?! It's anticlimatic as hell.

I don't think Sticker Star Bowser was that bad tho, sometimes having nothing is probably better than having something that screws you over, it's just a matter of "this isn't what I want to see from Bowser" without actually inherently being something that makes him the low point of the game (the game has several low points anyway, one of which not being the absence of a concrete plot cuz there's more important things at hand to fix).

Bowser being the final boss and the battle system becoming good are not at all connected what are you talking about?

Plot and gameplay are two different things. Not having Bowser as a final boss does not magically improve the battle system all of a sudden. Unless I took it the wrong way your statement makes no sense.
You did take it the wrong way as I was moreso referring to the "gets its shit together" part of that post.

Ok, then, sorry for the confusion. Although I still think there are more pressing matter Paper Mario has to get its shit together for more than just changing Bowser's role.

Ok, then, sorry for the confusion. Although I still think there are more pressing matter Paper Mario has to get its shit together for more than just changing Bowser's role.
For sure. Most pressing issue is easily the battle system, which even in Color Splash's attempt to fix it is still fundamentally broken and even ignores basic game design philosophies.

If they still wanted to go for the cards system, then I have a solution for it:

Default Jump and Hammer require no cards to do. But you can earn variations of them that are cards, except cards now have durability. Let's say Iron Hammer. More powerful than a regular hammer but you can only use it 20 times before it permanently vanishes from your inventory. Or Heavy Hammer, a hammer that can deal more damage to the more resilient enemies, but you can only use this one 5 times, owing to its situational usefulness. Still a good card with decent damage output on its own but you will only find yourself using it in the right situations as to conserve uses for a boss maybe.

Even better, what if you had unlimited cards, but they required a set amount points to use.

You know, a basic mechanic that's in almost every other RPG, including Mario & Luigi, Super Mario RPG, and the first two Paper Mario games.

That too, and it technically is the better option and works best for Paper Mario. I was just suggesting what they could possibly do if they still wanted to go for the SS/CS battle system for the next game.

If they still wanted to go for the cards system, then I have a solution for it:

Default Jump and Hammer require no cards to do. But you can earn variations of them that are cards, except cards now have durability. Let's say Iron Hammer. More powerful than a regular hammer but you can only use it 20 times before it permanently vanishes from your inventory. Or Heavy Hammer, a hammer that can deal more damage to the more resilient enemies, but you can only use this one 5 times, owing to its situational usefulness. Still a good card with decent damage output on its own but you will only find yourself using it in the right situations as to conserve uses for a boss maybe.
Now see, if Color Splash played something like this, then I could get behind it much more than what Sticker Star did. Another thing I'd do is add back Star Points and the level up system; ditch the HP upgrades you get at the end of chapters and ditch the Paint Scraps, and when you level up you can select from increasing HP, increasing paint, and increasing your maximum number of cards. Boom, that's two GIANT flaws with the game solved and barely anything needed to be changed, it's remarkable how far such little changes like that would have gone. If the game was like this, then I'd probably look at it in a much more positive light in spite of its differences from the games before it.

Nintendo is all about making their games fun first and foremost, so them being so blind to what could actually make the game fun in this case is so baffling.
Even better, what if you had unlimited cards, but they required a set amount points to use.

You know, a basic mechanic that's in almost every other RPG, including Mario & Luigi, Super Mario RPG, and the first two Paper Mario games.
See I feel the game TRIED to do this with its paint gauge that you need to use to paint cards, but not only can you just use the cards without paint, the game literally SHOWERS you in paint and it makes me wonder what the point of that was from a gameplay perspective.

Yeah, you're right, absolutely. What if Mario also had a strength stat that affected his damage, and you could level that up alongside HP, FP, and whatever else you need.

Back