The Mario appreciation thread.

Yoshi's new island is just a bad fever dream.

The pointless retcon of the original game's ending is also stupid. I was gonna give it the benefit of the doubt since maybe, just maybe, they might reveal who the bros parents are.

But nope, just the same thing but lamer.

Ninelevendo said:
Maᴙio said:
Ninelevendo said:
Back on to Mario:

Why did Nintendo bother putting him into every sub-series where he didn't even need to be in the game?
Because Mario is the star of... I don't know, the MARIO series..?
Event the games that AREN'T really "Mario"? Yeah, they are still sorta Mario games, but let other characters have a go for once. He appears in sub-series of games that are focused on other characters, gameplay and whatever, yet Nintendo think that it's a good idea to slap him onto Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi's New Island (excuse Baby Mario) and WarioWare for no real reason.
Mario is essential to the plot in Luigi's Mansion. WarioWare, it's more like an inside joke. Yoshi's New Island is the best example of "OMG Mario got shoehorned" but guess what... *adult* Bowser was there in more Yoshi games inexplicably.

Mcmadness said:
The pointless retcon of the original game's ending is also stupid. I was gonna give it the benefit of the doubt since maybe, just maybe, they might reveal who the bros parents are.

But nope, just the same thing but lamer.
I can't think of any good reason they needed to retcon other than

whatatwist.png

Maᴙio said:
Ninelevendo said:
Maᴙio said:
Ninelevendo said:
Back on to Mario:

Why did Nintendo bother putting him into every sub-series where he didn't even need to be in the game?
Event the games that AREN'T really "Mario"? Yeah, they are still sorta Mario games, but let other characters have a go for once. He appears in sub-series of games that are focused on other characters, gameplay and whatever, yet Nintendo think that it's a good idea to slap him onto Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi's New Island (excuse Baby Mario) and WarioWare for no real reason.
Mario is essential to the plot in Luigi's Mansion. WarioWare, it's more like an inside joke. Yoshi's New Island is the best example of "OMG Mario got shoehorned" but guess what... *adult* Bowser was there in more Yoshi games inexplicably.
Mario could easily be substituted in Luigi's Mansion, or the plot could easily resolve around something else (King Boo destroying something, for example). Bowser doesn't really get all the attention when it's not needed, he has his fair share of "I'm not in this game".

Ninelevendo said:
Maᴙio said:
Ninelevendo said:
Maᴙio said:
Ninelevendo said:
Back on to Mario:

Mario could easily be substituted in Luigi's Mansion, or the plot could easily resolve around something else (King Boo destroying something, for example). Bowser doesn't really get all the attention when it's not needed, he has his fair share of "I'm not in this game".
How can Mario be easily substituted? He's Luigi's twin brother, and it would make the most sense for Luigi to wander in places he doesn't like. Also, I'm not saying Bowser is an attention hog, but he's been there in Yoshi games with hardly any reason other than "OMG adult bowser is there". Bowser's inclusion in Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island made much less sense than Mario in Luigi's Mansion.

Ninelevendo said:
Mario could easily be substituted in Luigi's Mansion

Not really

When your favorite twin brother is trapped in a mansion that you're particularly scared of, it's actually the strongest reason you'd want to go inside there.

Believe me, I'd go into a haunted Wario mansion to rescue my twin if she was captive there

Baby Luigi said:
Ninelevendo said:

Not really

When your favorite twin brother is trapped in a mansion that you're particularly scared of, it's actually the strongest reason you'd want to go inside there.
Lol.

How about a really-seen-outside-of-spin-offs supposed girlfriend?

Baby Luigi said:
Ninelevendo said:

Not really

Believe me, I'd go into a haunted Wario mansion to rescue my twin if she was captive there
lol now that's strong sibling love right there. :D

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS said:
Not really a defined personality, but I'd change his voice to be a bit lower like it was in Mario 64 rather than that high pitched overly-happy voice he has in games like MK8. But maybe that's just my nostalgia speaking for me.
I agree, Mario's voice in Mario Kart 8 is slightly... falsetto if you know what I mean.

But if you hear Mario talking without a script, his voice isn't like that. It sounds like... well... a person.

Luigidaisy1 said:
Baby Luigi said:
Ninelevendo said:

Not really

lol now that's strong sibling love right there. :D
Tell me about it. :)

Ninelevendo said:

It makes it sound like the motivation is weaker.

Twin relationships are much closer to each other than boyfriend/girlfriend ones

Baby Luigi said:
Ninelevendo said:

To be fair, we twins have never been in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, but I can imagine that even then, it's not stronger than a twin relationship.

Maᴙio said:
Baby Luigi said:
Ninelevendo said:

To be fair, we twins have never been in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, but I can imagine that even then, it's not stronger than a twin relationship.
Although I don't see how the relation ship difference of two people you know and like lessens the fact that there's someone you know trapped in Mansion. You would still go save them.

I dunno I just find that plot point stronger if it's a sibling you're really close to trapped instead of your fiance or whatever

Ninelevendo said:
Maᴙio said:
Baby Luigi said:
Ninelevendo said:

Although I don't see how the relation ship difference of two people you know and like lessens the fact that there's someone you know trapped in Mansion. You would still go save them.
I just think there's much stronger motivation for Luigi to enter a mansion to rescue a close twin sibling than to rescue a girlfriend/boyfriend. Of course Luigi will rescue either in the end, but I think there's just a bit stronger reason to go if YOUR BEST TWIN is captured.

It's also slightly less cliche than a romantic tie.

AKA what Baby Luigi said.

Well if you look at it this way, its a simple way to raise the stakes. Mario getting captured is a pretty big deal.

Mcmadness said:
Well if you look at it this way, its a simple way to raise the stakes. Mario getting captured is a pretty big deal.
Yes, and since it's HIM rather than that Pitch, it's even more serious.

Plus if you really want to talk out of place, its not Mario but Bowser.

Why did King Boo have a Bowser robot?

Its so random.

Maybe it's to make the final boss fight a bit creepy?

When i was little I always thought the decapitated Bowser machine was creepy as hell

Baby Luigi said:
Maybe it's to make the final boss fight a bit creepy?

When i was little I always thought the decapitated Bowser machine was creepy as hell

Well that is true, when the head is flying around its pupils are gone even.

GalacticPetey said:
It's because King Boo is Bowser's ghost.

Thats an amusing theory but all the times they appeared together makes me not buy it.

I view the sports and MP games to be non-canon in my headcanon, but SM64DS? That definitely happened.

Back on the subject of Mario. Its always been said the 2 bros are plumbers but we largely never see it.

Well in my headcanon I always figured the ''Mario bros'' game was the representation of their plumbing. Its their day job to get rid of the pesky creatures and fix the pipes and the coins that appear is them getting paid.

Back