The Mario appreciation thread.

Gabumon said:
Too varied characterization, probably.

I'm amazed they even let him say "Open Salami".
THE STATUS QUO STANDS.

Really, he did say "Open Salami" at some point in Sunshine?

IIRC it is one of the things he can say when you enter one of the levels that have you go through a splotch of paint.

Well open salami is clearly a reference to open sesame but for the most part there isn't a whole lot of things he actually opens in that game.

The rest well shit I don't know.

My question remains: why not use some of those quotes? As stated before, they're simply gold, and it instantly gives Mario more color to his character.

Are you implying that these lines are anywhere near as stupid as the toasters line?

Magikrazy said:
I always hear "so long gay bowser"

You and everyone else on the internet.

I was too young to know what gay meant when I first heard that so I assumed it was a word I couldn't understand and heard it as "So long, *something* Bowser!"

Just like many popular songs that I couldn't understand the words of.

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS said:
I was too young to know what gay meant when I first heard that so I assumed it was a word I couldn't understand and heard it as "So long, *something* Bowser!"

Well Mario isn't actually saying gay, its just a joke everyone makes.

Mcmadness said:

Except me

Baby Luigi said:
Mcmadness said:

Except me

And me. High five.

He said it to Luigi in Hotel Mario or did he said “hey”?

His voice in this game was rather unexpected for me to hear him like that.Yes I know it was before his current voice actor.

Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:
Mcmadness said:

Except me

And me. High five.
And basically everyone here.

yoshiking14x said:
He said it to Luigi in Hotel Mario or did he said “hey”?

His voice in this game was rather unexpected for me to hear him like that.Yes I know it was before his current voice actor.
His quote was "Nice of the princess to invite us over for a picnic, eh Luigi?"

The "gay" thing isn't funny and feels really forced.

Anyone else amused by the fact that Captain Olimar, a character named after Mario, ultimately has a more defined character and personality than the guy he is named after?

Mcmadness said:
Anyone else amused by the fact that Captain Olimar, a character named after Mario, ultimately has a more defined character and personality than the guy he is named after?
I thought Olimar was pretty much a blank slate, but I've played only Brawl and seen some of Pikmin 2.

Oh no. Olimar has a very defined character. In fact I'd argue he's one of the most defined of all Nintendo's protagonist characters.

http://pikmin.wikia.com/wiki/Olimar's_Voyage_Log

This is from his first game alone even.

yoshiking14x said:
I still see Mario as a 3 dimensional character wether if he is underdeveloped or not.

Dude being three dimensional is being a developed character. It's not subjective

Baby Luigi said:
yoshiking14x said:
I still see Mario as a 3 dimensional character wether if he is underdeveloped or not.

Dude being three dimensional is being a developed character. It's not subjective

Indeed, there is a reason I made the amusing comparison to Olimar.

Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:
yoshiking14x said:

I think it's unfortunate. Very, very unfortunate. Not giving Mario a talking voice is like leaving a loved one in a coma or something. No, that's too exaggerated, but I hope you know what I mean.

Dr. Mario said:
Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:
yoshiking14x said:

I think it's unfortunate. Very, very unfortunate. Not giving Mario a talking voice is like leaving a loved one in a coma or something. No, that's too exaggerated, but I hope you know what I mean.
Yes, just like a unused opportunity.

Back