The Mario appreciation thread.

Maᴙio said:
Mcmadness said:
Nah, Mario just had about ten minutes of awful dialogue from an interview.
Because it's scripted.

And its never not going to be scripted!

Eh... the "script" can be just a guideline.

I think Charles Martinet should just make his own lines and maybe act them out.

Heehee it's 'madness's favorite scene

Definitely.

I'm going to coin it "McMadness's favorite line" from now on.

Cynthia said:
I have an unpopular opinion that Mario is actually better than Luigi. I like both almost equally, but I like Mario more.
High-five!

Admittedly I do get a big laugh out of how awful the line is but its just so poorly voiced and makes Bowser sound like a complete joke instead of the badass villain he is supposed to be.

Meh "badass" isn't a word I'd describe Bowser

more like "cartoony over-the-top bad guy"

Baby Luigi said:
Meh "badass" isn't a word I'd describe Bowser

more like "cartoony over-the-top bad guy"

Between the years of sunshine and Galaxy he was basically turned into a comedy villain.

Though he's gotten much better since Galaxy.

You want badass, Dimentio's your man

I like almost every Mario game I've played. Without Mario I'd be a SpongeBob and A Troll in Central Park fanatic *shudders at the thought* Seriously tho, Mario's an awesome character and I don't know where I'd be without him.

Mcmadness said:
I think Bowser was at his absolute best (as a main villain) in Galaxy.

I like Bowser the most in Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8. I think it suits him more.

I wish Mario has more personality. I'm not fond of the silent protagonist bull treatment Mario has been getting.

Paper Mario said:
Mcmadness said:
I think Bowser was at his absolute best (as a main villain) in Galaxy.

Well I do agree it was his best scheme to date and him zerg rushing toad town was a site to behold, but he's had good moments since then as well.

Getting back on the subject of Mario, what would you people give Mario as a more defined personality?

I honestly like him the way he is. Anything I come up with would probably make him less unique.

Not really a defined personality, but I'd change his voice to be a bit lower like it was in Mario 64 rather than that high pitched overly-happy voice he has in games like MK8. But maybe that's just my nostalgia speaking for me.

Paper Mario said:
I honestly like him the way he is. Anything I come up with would probably make him less unique.

Not really a defined personality, but I'd change his voice to be a bit lower like it was in Mario 64 rather than that high pitched overly-happy voice he has in games like MK8. But maybe that's just my nostalgia speaking for me.

Yes. When I heard his voice in MK8, I barely recognized it. I liked it the best on the Nintendo 64 too.

GalacticPetey said:
Bowser works best as a comedic villain.

I like him best when he's funny but still dangerous (as far as dangerous Mario villains go anyway)

For example I DESPISE his portrayal in SPM. It basically takes all his worst aspects and exaggerates them to the 11th degree.

Bowser has never struck me as a dangerous villain. If he could pull something off aside from an obvious "capture the princess" (which he stil never succeeds in) then I'd be suprised and see him as a more dangerous being. For now, he's just a big turtle thing that I can't take seriously.

Back on to Mario:

Why did Nintendo bother putting him into every sub-series where he didn't even need to be in the game?

Ninelevendo said:
Bowser has never struck me as a dangerous villain. If he could pull something off aside from an obvious "capture the princess" (which he stil never succeeds in) then I'd be suprised and see him as a more dangerous being. For now, he's just a big turtle thing that I can't take seriously.

I've noticed people seem to have a bad habit of forgetting the fact that Bowser usually has a main scheme alongside kidnapping Peach. He just does that because he wants her as well as taking over.

As for always losing, well ignoring the fact that ultimately every villain loses in the end, there have been plenty of times where Mario was only able to beat him with either a deus ex machina or additional assistance.

Mcmadness said:
Ninelevendo said:

I've noticed people seem to have a bad habit of forgetting the fact that Bowser usually has a main scheme alongside kidnapping Peach. He just does that because he wants her as well as taking over.

As for always losing, well ignoring the fact that ultimately every villain loses in the end, there have been plenty of times where Mario was only able to beat him with either a deus ex machina or additional assistance.
Bowser
>Needs assistance to beat someone
>Uses the same tactic with no changes only to fail in the exact same manner.

The fact that he's a villain and will ultimately lose is fine, but losing in the same manner by doing the same thing is dumb to me, no matter what motive is behind it. The fact that he literally gives Mario a way to beat him is just, well, stupid. (A switch that makes the bridge fall down? Come on.)

Anyway, that's my rant about Bowser. Maybe we should just make a different thread if we are going to continue this.

That sounds like a good idea, we can use my ''bowser needs his own game'' thread.

Ninelevendo said:
Back on to Mario:

Why did Nintendo bother putting him into every sub-series where he didn't even need to be in the game?
Because Mario is the star of... I don't know, the MARIO series..?

Maᴙio said:
Ninelevendo said:
Back on to Mario:

Because Mario is the star of... I don't know, the MARIO series..?
Event the games that AREN'T really "Mario"? Yeah, they are still sorta Mario games, but let other characters have a go for once. He appears in sub-series of games that are focused on other characters, gameplay and whatever, yet Nintendo think that it's a good idea to slap him onto Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi's New Island (excuse Baby Mario) and WarioWare for no real reason.

Luigi's Mansion: It makes sense for Luigi to go in a mansion he's afraid of because his only brother is trapped in there. What other motive is there really to make Luigi go into a haunted mansion that won't seem out of character to him?

WarioWare, he doesn't really appear in, he just cameos

I admit that Yoshi's New Island is ----ed up in itself

Back