So where does the Mario and Luigi series go from here?

The day you use "selfish" in relation to hypothetical appearances of fictional characters in video games is one where you need to sit down and take a good, hard look at your emotional investment in children's properties.

Glowsquid said:
The day you use "selfish" in relation to hypothetical appearances of fictional characters in video games is one where you need to sit down and take a good, hard look at your priorities in life.

That.

Also as I explained before, Fawful is a very specific type of villain, if he were to come back it would just be a retread of what came before only not as good. He's had his day and they should move on, which they already did with Dream Team and will probably continue to do so with its sequels.

What I'd honestly prefer is that they'd start rotating between the many villains the Marioverse has produced, that way Bowser would stop being so stale and the others wouldn't go stale or be forgotten either.

Paper Mario said:
What I'd honestly prefer is that they'd start rotating between the many villains the Marioverse has produced, that way Bowser would stop being so stale and the others wouldn't go stale or be forgotten either.
But Bowser is awesome and he definitely hasn't gotten stale at all.

Kart Player 2008 said:
Paper Mario said:
But Bowser is awesome and he definitely hasn't gotten stale at all.
Awesome=/=never gets old. In fact I like Bowser most when he isn't the main villain but rather an anti-hero or side villain. Maybe I'll appreciate him as main villain if they actually balanced his appearances with those of other villains.

Paper Mario said:

None of that has to do with Fawful coming back. Even if the main series made a game that didn't have Bowser as the villain (which is unlikely) they wouldn't take one from a spin off, they'd probably create their own.

But they won't do that because the main games don't have a plot thus making a villain change arbitrary and largely pointless.

Why stop at changing stale Bowser? Why not change *gulp* MARIO?

Mcmadness said:
But they won't do that because the main games don't have a plot thus making a villain change arbitrary and largely pointless.
They should have a plot though. At least a semi-decent one. Kirby games to my knowledge have semi-decent plots despite being platform games. They also have different villains, so why can't Mario games do that? I don't want to think that the part of the Mario series that actually does a good job of having a variety of plots and villains gets passed off as just another spinoff while the main series gets to keep having uncreative plots and be hailed as the best of gaming.
Maᴙio said:
Why stop at changing stale Bowser? Why not change *gulp* MARIO?
Because the protagonist generally stays the same in almost every series, which is understandable as the game revolves around that character, not the villain.

Because Mario platformers aren't focused on plots. I don't think deep plots are really necessary to have fun with a Mario game.

Paper Mario said:
Mcmadness said:
They should have a plot though. At least a semi-decent one. Kirby games to my knowledge have semi-decent plots despite being platform games. They also have different villains, so why can't Mario games do that? I don't want to think that the part of the Mario series that actually does a good job of having a variety of plots and villains gets passed off as just another spinoff while the main series gets to keep having uncreative plots and be hailed as the best of gaming.
It's a different topic if Mario games need a plot or not. Honestly, they should, but it should be fairly minimal, just like Kirby (and Rayman). Mario should be given a personality, a talking voice. Nintendo needs to man up and do this. Nintendo intentionally decided for a minimal plot, though. Mario doesn't really have a variety of plots either, including RPGs. The gameplay does define a Mario game, not the plot.

BTW, the mainstream games aren't Mario's strong point either way. Kirby and Rayman are far superior.

I think that to be a good game, it has to succeed in every piece: the gameplay, the music, the visuals, the character cast, and the story. Even a good story like that in Bowser's Inside Story or Super Paper Mario would get stale if done to death like the kidnapping story in the main series. Yeah they're still fun but they would be even more fun with a good story to tie in with the gameplay.

Paper Mario said:
I think that to be a good game, it has to succeed in every piece: the gameplay, the music, the visuals, the character cast, and the story. Even a good story like that in Bowser's Inside Story or Super Paper Mario would get stale if done to death like the kidnapping story in the main series. Yeah they're still fun but they would be even more fun with a good story to tie in with the gameplay.

But some games don't NEED a story, nor a strong character cast. It ultimately depends on WHAT TYPE of game you're talking about.

Baby Luigi said:
Paper Mario said:

But some games don't NEED a story, nor a strong character cast. It ultimately depends on WHAT TYPE of game you're talking about.
Even if its not the focus of a game is NOT an excuse to be incredibly lazy with the smaller parts.

Paper Mario said:
I think that to be a good game, it has to succeed in every piece: the gameplay, the music, the visuals, the character cast, and the story.
You might be setting the bar a bit high, especially for a Mario game. Sometimes, a game is otherwise good, but bogged down by extensive exposition, so it's sometimes worth it to sacrifice a few things there.

Also, you can put music and visuals under "presentation".

Paper Mario said:
Baby Luigi said:
Paper Mario said:

Even if its not the focus of a game is NOT an excuse to be incredibly lazy with the smaller parts.

When its not the focus then yes, its a perfectly valid excuse. Mario isn't about the story, never has, never will. If you are into this series for its story and characters that is entirely your own fault.

Being a platformer doesn't mean they have to put no effort into having a unique story. Hell, it doesn't even have to be detailed. I bet a story where Mario, Luigi, Peach and Rosalina/Toad/Wario/Yoshi/whoever have to travel to another time period to stop some new main villain, Fawful, Tatanga, Wart, Dimentio, Princess Shroob or even Bowser if he's done right from changing history and making themselves ruler of the universe would make for a fine mainline Mario game. No kidnapping, potentially a fresh villain, and good gameplay, why would this NOT be successful?

The main reason I prefer the RPGs to the main series is for the very reason of having a unique story, (except Sticker Star) new villain (except Paper Mario and Sticker Star, but the former is forgivable) and a large cast of new and returning characters (except fucking Sticker Star).

Paper Mario said:
Being a platformer doesn't mean they have to put no effort into having a unique story. Hell, it doesn't even have to be detailed. I bet a story where Mario, Luigi, Peach and Rosalina/Toad/Wario/Yoshi/whoever have to travel to another time period to stop some new main villain, Fawful, Tatanga, Wart, Dimentio, Princess Shroob or even Bowser if he's done right from changing history and making themselves ruler of the universe would make for a fine mainline Mario game. No kidnapping, potentially a fresh villain, and good gameplay, why would this NOT be successful?

The main reason I prefer the RPGs to the main series is for the very reason of having a unique story, (except Sticker Star) new villain (except Paper Mario and Sticker Star, but the former is forgivable) and a large cast of new and returning characters (except *bleep*ing Sticker Star).

Because here is a little bit of information you might not be aware of when it comes to the story in the mario games.

Most people don't care in the slightest.

Also the main series has plenty of recurring characters, the idea that only the spin offs do that is laughable.

It's a fresh plot, but it's still fairly minimal for plot standards.

I'm not fond of the kidnapping plot, don't get me wrong. Why would it NOT be successful? I don't know, Nintendo is just too chicken to experiment with Mario.

Maᴙio said:
It's a fresh plot, but it's still fairly minimal for plot standards.

I'm not fond of the kidnapping plot, don't get me wrong. Why would it NOT be successful? I don't know, Nintendo is just too chicken to experiment with Mario.
3D World was the first baby step by having peach be playable and not be kidnapped again. Hopefully they keep her playable for awhile.

I don't like the idea of a playable Peach in the main series quite honestly. She should be kept as a kidnapped role in the main series and playable in the spin-offs.

Kart Player 2008 said:
I don't like the idea of a playable Peach in the main series quite honestly. She should be kept as a kidnapped role in the main series and playable in the spin-offs.

Now that I definitely disagree with, multiple playable characters is always appreciated.

Mcmadness said:
Kart Player 2008 said:

Now that I definitely disagree with, multiple playable characters is always appreciated.

And thats what :yoshi:'s and :toad:'s are for. :)

Kart Player 2008 said:
Mcmadness said:
Kart Player 2008 said:

And thats what :yoshi:'s and :toad:'s are for. :)
so you basically want the same game over and over rather than variety

Back