So where does the Mario and Luigi series go from here?

Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:
Also saying they can be revived is actually a stupid argument since nobody in Mario has ever been revived from death.

Google "1-UP Mushroom".

Google ''gameplay-story segregation.''

There's no reason to suggest that 1-UP Mushrooms would behave any differently outside of combat, especially with other games setting a universal precedent of the 1-UP as an all-purpose reviving item. There's nothing stopping someone from being given an extra life outside combat.

There's no evidence of segregation, so ludonarrative dissonance isn't the force at play here.

And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:
Also saying they can be revived is actually a stupid argument since nobody in Mario has ever been revived from death.

Google "1-UP Mushroom".

There's no reason to suggest that 1-UP Mushrooms would behave any differently outside of combat, especially with other games setting a universal precedent of the 1-UP as an all-purpose reviving item. There's nothing stopping someone from being given an extra life outside combat.

There's no evidence of segregation, so ludonarrative dissonance isn't the force at play here.

The segregation is that 1-ups don't actually exist and are only a gameplay mechanic.

''Its ok Bobbery, just dig up your wife's corpse and shove a 1-up down her throat, that will bring her back.''

Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:

Google "1-UP Mushroom".

The segregation is that 1-ups don't actually exist and are only a gameplay mechanic.

''Its ok Bobbery, just dig up your wife's corpse and shove a 1-up down her throat, that will bring her back.''

Wrong RPG series, mate.

Mcmadness said:
Exaggeration, as in its shown in battle to be more elaborate than it actually is out of battle. Not rocket science.

Its not a dumb argument, it proves there is for the most part consistency in dead characters staying dead
....just because you can only see something in the more detailed version of a location doesn't mean it's not there. so what's your point?

and "consistency in characters staying dead" is not the same thing as "characters ALWAYS staying dead" so it actually is a dumb argument to use in this case

Robin said:
Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:

Google "1-UP Mushroom".

Wrong RPG series, mate.

Its still an example of the same concept where death is treated like an actual thing and 1-ups don't actually exist. Another famous example is Pheonix downs in Final Fantasy or any other rpg. They need them for gameplay reasons but they are largely ignored storyline wise because they know it kills all tension and drama the story might be trying to create if they can just toss an item on them and they are back perfectly fine.

Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:

Google "1-UP Mushroom".

except they do exist within the story's setting. they're physical items that can be picked up and acquired. see: nearly every mario game ever.

and iirc 1-ups only work if you or a member of your party happens to be carrying one at the time. bobbery's wife apparently wasn't holding one, so she would be stuck with the game over.

And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:

Google "1-UP Mushroom".

except they do exist within the story's setting. they're physical items that can be picked up and acquired. see: nearly every mario game ever.

and iirc 1-ups only work if you or a member of your party happens to be carrying one at the time. bobbery's wife apparently wasn't holding one, so she would be stuck with the game over.

But they are NEVER acknowledged in the plot, that is a defining aspect of gameplay-story segregation.

Its not like they are hard to find or even all that expensive either.

Mcmadness said:
But they are NEVER acknowledged in the plot, that is a defining aspect of gameplay-story segregation.

Not specifically 1-Up Mushrooms, but items of that type are relevant to Superstar Saga's plot when Mario is poisoned by a mushroom and Luigi must find an herb to cure him.

Paper Mario said:
Mcmadness said:

Not specifically 1-Up Mushrooms, but items of that type are relevant to Superstar Saga's plot when Mario is poisoned by a mushroom and Luigi must find an herb to cure him.

Which said herb was really rare and the mushroom itself is also a special local variety.

Its also an entirely story related event.

Well these are the things I personally want to see for the next game.

1. A new villain.
2. Bowser not being an anti-hero or ineffective comedy villain. He doesn't have to be the main villain but he went through some great villainy in the last game and I don't want to see it get undone for a cheap punchline.
3.Maybe a new location, though going back to the mushroom kingdom is ok.
4.Bowser jr actually getting involved for once.
5.No more important macguffins, no dream stones, cobalt stars, beanstars, dark stars etc etc.
6.I wouldn't mind seeing more power-ups from the series turned into special attacks, like hammer suit, tanooki suit etc etc.
7.Please, skippable tutorials.

Mcmadness said:
Robin said:
Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:
And I'm Javert said:
Mcmadness said:

Google "1-UP Mushroom".

Wrong RPG series, mate.

Its still an example of the same concept where death is treated like an actual thing and 1-ups don't actually exist. Another famous example is Pheonix downs in Final Fantasy or any other rpg. They need them for gameplay reasons but they are largely ignored storyline wise because they know it kills all tension and drama the story might be trying to create if they can just toss an item on them and they are back perfectly fine.

I know. I play this one game Dragon Quest IX, and so many people die. HOWEVER, you are able to bring your party members back to life at the town church. It's so stupid, because all the suffering people go through in this game could be fixed with that one thing. I completely understand.

Mcmadness said:
So, it's safe to assume that gameplay death is actually different than story death? Like, two different types of death?

Maᴙio said:
Mcmadness said:
So, it's safe to assume that gameplay death is actually different than story death? Like, two different types of death?

More or less yes. The concept of lives and items that revive in games has to be ignored or else, well nobody can truly be in real legitimate harm as far as the story is concerned.

Back