Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

GalacticPetey said:
Time Turner said:
Supreme Commander Fawful of the Digital Candy Troll Kingdom said:
Well that shows how much I know about the advanced SSB tech. Maybe they wanted it to be more accessible? And not in a "nobody sucks" way but a "this mechanic will guarantee some players have an advantage over others" way. Basically at first they didn't realize it but some mechanics could be abused to be OP. Just a guess.
I can kind of understand that. When a bunch of people were playing Melee at school, there was the group of people who had clearly practiced and knew how to perform each and every technique, and there was the group of people who had played the game casually and nothing more. I was good enough that I'd mostly win the casual matches, but I'd get trounced whenever I played against the competitive players. I've never been so sick of Final Destination in my entire life, especially when both groups insisted on playing it.
I'd like to point out that 99% of competitive players play on more stages than FD. Hell FD isn't even close to the most balanced stage as the lack of platforms heavily skews matchups in favor of certain characters. Sounds like those guys took the "Fox Only" stereotype literally.
The best thing about Final Destination is that it's right below Pokefloats, and it's close enough that it's possible for someone to move the cursor in that direction just as someone's about to pick FD. That didn't happen too often, since everyone usually grumbled about not playing on their favorite superflat land, but I just reveled in the change of pace.

Triggered Melee player warning

LeftyGreenMario said:
I also think Melee's competitive scene is a joke.

I'm not really talking about mechanics and shit. I'm talking about the scene itself. Idk I was taken to a link that shows tourney winners and it was pretty much the same 5 people after 2015.

And then there are people who defend and wax Meele to no end and they're blind to the reality that is Melee's unfriendly and unwelcoming nature.
That's only national-level which of course is going to attract the best competition, you're glossing over 99% of the tournament scene. If Melee was joke-level easy, the same 5 people wouldn't win nationals with over a thousand people when most of them are also crazy dedicated to the game. Generally less depth = more random winners because there's less to master.

What's bad about Melee's community besides anything applicable to literally any big online community? I've met a huge portion of my friends through my local tournament scene and I can vouch we welcome new players all the time, it's just a hello and let's play, not some fucked up hazing. If you mean people calling out casuals or something like that, not saying it's justified but some bad eggs responding like that tends to happen when enough uninformed people call your hobby "a joke"

I'm curious what you think of the other Smash games' scenes

Baby Luigi said:
Characters were so terribly balanced in Melee to the point where it's freaking hilarious. Melee Kirby is probably THE worst character in the Smash Bros. series.
It's very far from perfect but it's certainly not bad enough to delegitimize Melee's competitiveness. A top 10 player plays Pikachu, there's a ton of good Luigis, there's even a Kirby who makes top 100 at national-sized tournaments. If you're concerned with character diversity above all else, you can make mid and even low tiers work, the only reason you don't see them more is most people have more fun competing using a top tier

I don't really understand the notion that some games are more or less competitive than others. Smash in general is competitive if you want it to be, it has multiplayer and different characters with playstyles and there's strategy and lots of customization options in every game.
More depth. More options and complex interactions, more execution, etc. Melee's wavedashing/L-cancelling/shield dropping/ledgedashing/whatever else enables tons of opportunities at any given moment compared to Brawl or Smash 4 or even 64, so you have more decisions to make in using your opportunities as well as dealing with your opponent's, that's what makes it "more" competitive

GalacticPetey said:
I'd like to point out that 99% of competitive players play on more stages than FD. Hell FD isn't even close to the most balanced stage as the lack of platforms heavily skews matchups in favor of certain characters. Sounds like those guys took the "Fox Only" stereotype literally.
100%* but yeah thanks for getting it petey

I'm not saying that it does delegitimize Melee's competitiveness, as Melee has a lot of neat, pro-offensive tactics you can pull off satisfyingly, I'm saying that I think Melee has the most flawed, broken (not in the over-powered sense, broken as in badly coded) characters in the series. You're not going to get a game with a character who cannot Forward or Back Throw (hi Melee Kirby) at all again, or have characters with completely useless moves like Bowser's neutral B or Kirby's Side Special in the air, or a character where most attacks hurt itself on top of it being lightweight.

I think it's the second-most imbalanced game, after Brawl, with Super Smash Bros. 64 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U / 3DS being more balanced than it.

Baby Luigi said:
I'm not saying that it does delegitimize Melee's competitiveness
Fair enough, thought this was part of the "Melee is a joke" thing. You're right there's some downright stupid design

Princess Zelda said:
I've heard from some people that they think Smashville is the most balanced stage, even moreso than Battlefield.
Yeah there's some merit to this. Characters slow in the air have problems with platforms like Battlefield but no platforms at all makes projectiles and combos really obnoxious too. I kinda wish Melee came with Smashville

On the contrary, I think Melee is still has the best competitive mechanics in the series. I hate the air-dodge spam that I can't follow-up my aerials with in later Smash games, for starters. Also, no footstooling, another mechanic I really hate. Plus, as you said, the speed and stuff is better in Melee.

I wish that would return in later installments.

I am very confident that Daisy will be a unique playable character in Smash for Switch, because they are running out of Mario characters to add. I don't care what anyone else here thinks. We need her!

There's a difference between wanting her and thinking she'll be in the next game.

memoryman3 said:
I am very confident that Daisy will be a unique playable character in Smash for Switch, because they are running out of Mario characters to add. I don't care what anyone else here thinks. We need her!
You're the only person here who needs her to be in the game.

memoryman3 said:
Toad
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Geno

All better chances of getting in than Daisy.

GalacticPetey said:
Toad
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Geno

IDK about Geno and Paper Mario, but you're right about Toad and Waluigi. I don't really think Geno has a better chance just because of the Mii Fighter costume.

Luigi 64DD said:
GalacticPetey said:
Toad
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Geno

IDK about Geno and Paper Mario, but you're right about Toad and Waluigi. I don't really think Geno has a better chance just because of the Mii Fighter costume.
We've heard straight from Sakurai that Geno was considered at one point for Brawl and based on some comments, likely at one point during Smash 4's development. That's more than we can say for Daisy. I threw in Paper Mario because he's a fairly popular pick and has a lot of potential. He also has been in the public eye recently with Color Splash and Paper Jam.

Judging from the recent trophies and stages and soundtrack, don't bet your cash.

Most of the Sticker Star stuff was on the 3DS version, which at least makes sense with it being a handheld and all.

The Wii U version meanwhile, all of its trophies were from the first 3 games. And I'd also say the only reason Paper Mario's trophy was on the 3DS version and with a Sticker Star description is well, SS didn't have much else to draw from while the first 3 did. Sakurai gives more fucks about the originals than the current PM team anyway.

It's not a thing I'd bet cash on anyway

For the next Smash, I would expect Waluigi or Captain Toad as Mario newcomers. Ideally, I'd also want King Boo and Paper Mario. I wouldn't mind seeing Daisy or Koopa Troopa either.

Most of the Sticker Star stuff was on the 3DS version, which at least makes sense with it being a handheld and all.

The Wii U version meanwhile, all of its trophies were from the first 3 games. And I'd also say the only reason Paper Mario's trophy was on the 3DS version and with a Sticker Star description is well, SS didn't have much else to draw from while the first 3 did. Sakurai gives more *bleep*s about the originals than the current PM team anyway.

Smash for Wii U came out before Color Splash. If it came out after Color Splash, I'd bet you that they'll draw most of their elements from Color Splash, like Sticker Star in 3DS.

I'm ignorant on the subject of competitive Smash, so I concede my thoughts on the competitive scene of Melee. It's not as bad as I thought. I still think, however, that on a gameplay level and character balance, there are a lot of laughable flaws and I mean something that's bound to happen over such a fast development time. Mr. Game & Watch not being able to L-cancel all his moves? Bowser's Fire Breath in of itself? Bowser and Kirby as entire characters who are even worse than someone intentionally terrible (Pichu)? Kirby being unable to jump out of a throw? Two of Kirby's throws being virtually useless? The entire grappling mechanics? WTF? Melee is far from a perfect game though I think it's better than Brawl competitive-wise, which I think is abysmal.

Back