Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Yes, they are those character reveal videos.
I guess, but I'm fairly certain those aren't in the game proper. If you weren't following any of the social media surrounding Sm4sh, then you wouldn't have received much in return.

The character reveal videos are in the game. You can check "Games & The Kitchen Sink More" and check "Vault" and there is a "Videos" menu option that stores all videos during the Smash 4 pre-release publicity cycle.

To be fair, they are pretty buried and there is nothing else in the game that triggers the videos being played.

I'd beat 9.0 if I felt like it, but I hate going through that BS before Master Core.

I think Zelda has the best crouching animation in Brawl and SSB4.

I want Bowser Jr. to have unique alternate costumes instead of the Koopalings.

I like Brawl's All-Star Rest Area the most.

I like Donkey Kong's realistic voice clips, especially his Brawl ones.

I think SSB4's Battlefield has the best music list overall in the game.

MnSG said:
You could always ask for both...

DIB2kzh.png
If that's your recolor pack, I think the green on the lime-green Bowser Jr. needs to be toned down.

No one clamors for the Parasol's return. Or the monster crates in Melee. It makes me sad.

I also think Melee's competitive scene is a joke.

LeftyGreenMario said:
No one clamors for the Parasol's return. Or the monster crates in Melee. It makes me sad.

I actually like the parasol, and I wish it did return. I also miss when crates could tumble down the slopes.

Characters were so terribly balanced in Melee to the point where it's freaking hilarious. Melee Kirby is probably THE worst character in the Smash Bros. series.

I don't really understand the notion that some games are more or less competitive than others. Smash in general is competitive if you want it to be, it has multiplayer and different characters with playstyles and there's strategy and lots of customization options in every game.

I mean, that sounds like a noble notion until you realize Brawl has random tripping that you can't toggle on or off and it was so negatively received that it was removed the next game.

Supreme Commander Fawful of the Digital Candy Troll Kingdom said:
I don't really understand the notion that some games are more or less competitive than others. Smash in general is competitive if you want it to be, it has multiplayer and different characters with playstyles and there's strategy and lots of customization options in every game.
The problem with a game like Brawl (besides random uncontrollable factors like tripping) is that it is intentionally designed to be anti-competitive. Sakurai went out of his way to eliminate certain features of competitive play so that the playing field was more equal. Many people take issue with dumbing down the game to that level. I get why you w at to appeal to a larger crowd, but Melee appealed to both casual and competitive players alike. But instead Sakurai didn't want more casual players to feel like they couldn't win. Well the fact is some people will just be better at the game than you. You can either accept that and do nothing or learn the intracasies of the game and improve yourself.

Don't get me wrong, competitive Brawl certainly has its merits and its following, and Melee is not a perfect game either, but the simple fact is that Sakurai intentionally designed the game to be less competitive.

L canceling was in 64 as well as Melee and was even detailed on the official 64 website. The dev team also came across wavedashing during testing and decided it wasn't worth removing so they left it in.

Only after did they see these being used in competitive play and then decided to remove them for that reason.

There's also stuff like stronger shields, slower speed all around, and the whole shift in air dodge mechanics that were changed from past games that were certainly intended features in the past.

Well that shows how much I know about the advanced SSB tech. Maybe they wanted it to be more accessible? And not in a "nobody sucks" way but a "this mechanic will guarantee some players have an advantage over others" way. Basically at first they didn't realize it but some mechanics could be abused to be OP. Just a guess.

Well that shows how much I know about the advanced SSB tech. Maybe they wanted it to be more accessible? And not in a "nobody sucks" way but a "this mechanic will guarantee some players have an advantage over others" way. Basically at first they didn't realize it but some mechanics could be abused to be OP. Just a guess.
I can kind of understand that. When a bunch of people were playing Melee at school, there was the group of people who had clearly practiced and knew how to perform each and every technique, and there was the group of people who had played the game casually and nothing more. I was good enough that I'd mostly win the casual matches, but I'd get trounced whenever I played against the competitive players. I've never been so sick of Final Destination in my entire life, especially when both groups insisted on playing it.

I love the sound effect that plays when Peach pulls a turnip in Brawl. Same goes for Zelda's sweetspotted f-air, b-air and d-air.

I think Brawl has the best set of items overall, but Melee has the edge of having 10+ Poké balls onscreen during a game.

Time Turner said:
I can kind of understand that. When a bunch of people were playing Melee at school, there was the group of people who had clearly practiced and knew how to perform each and every technique, and there was the group of people who had played the game casually and nothing more. I was good enough that I'd mostly win the casual matches, but I'd get trounced whenever I played against the competitive players. I've never been so sick of Final Destination in my entire life, especially when both groups insisted on playing it.
I'd like to point out that 99% of competitive players play on more stages than FD. Hell FD isn't even close to the most balanced stage as the lack of platforms heavily skews matchups in favor of certain characters. Sounds like those guys took the "Fox Only" stereotype literally.

Baby Luigi said:
Characters were so terribly balanced in Melee to the point where it's freaking hilarious. Melee Kirby is probably THE worst character in the Smash Bros. series.

Actually, that spot belongs to Brawl Ganondorf, where he doesn't have a single positive or even match-up at all; his only best match-up is against himself. Melee Kirby at least has a few positive and even match-ups, despite his abysmal tier position.

In fact, one could argue that Melee Bowser is the worst fighter in Melee, since he doesn't have any positive match-ups at all, and only two 50:50 match-ups, and even they appear to be debatable at spots.

GalacticPetey said:
Kinda rude, don't you think?
I'm not really talking about mechanics and shit. I'm talking about the scene itself. Idk I was taken to a link that shows tourney winners and it was pretty much the same 5 people after 2015.

And then there are people who defend and wax Meele to no end and they're blind to the reality that is Melee's unfriendly and unwelcoming nature.

Back