Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

Melee has the best set of Poké Ball Pokémon.

Is it bad if I think that transformation Final Smashes don't last long enough? When Bowser changes into Giga Bowser, how can you take advantage of the transformation when it doesn't give you much time to make at least 1 KO?

Giga Bowser is pretty amazing in 8 player Smash, where you'll have lots of flies to squash.

Baby Luigi said:
Giga Bowser is pretty amazing in 8 player Smash, where you'll have lots of flies to squash.

Well he doesn't have the kind of power that Giga Mac or Mega Lucario has. And for another sense of irony, giant Bowser can actually make KOs sooner than Giga Bowser, despite not being anywhere near Giga Bowser's size.

The other day, I actually took the time to buff up Giga Bowser's damage output for most of his attacks, but some of the attacks had to have their knockback values nerfed to keep them from making KOs too early. The f-smash, however, got buffed up to a point where if it's fully charged, hitting with the head can KO even Bowser at 0% damage. However, despite these changes, you still pretty much have to race against the clock if you want to take advantage of them.

Rusty Bucket Bay said:
Melee has the best set of Poké Ball Pokémon.
They had worthless ones, but not to the extent Brawl and Smash 4 had.

Rusty Bucket Bay said:
You could also have like 12 Pokés on the stage at once which makes things really chaotic.

Melee's Training Mode is pretty well infamous in that it can potentially crash your game if way too many items are spawned. This is especially true for self-destructing Bob-ombs.

To avoid such a dilemma for later Smash Bros. installments, item spawn limits had to be implemented.

MnSG said:
Melee's Training Mode is pretty well infamous in that it can potentially crash your game if way too many items are spawned. This is especially true for self-destructing Bob-ombs.

To avoid such a dilemma for later Smash Bros. installments, item spawn limits had to be implemented.

Later games might still crash if too many objects are caught in a Smart Bomb explosion though.

MnSG said:
I never had a problem with spawning a ton of self-destructing Bob-ombs and then having the characters taunt until they die.

In fact, we did exactly this with all characters. We did this especially to Kirby for some reason... where we would spawn a ton of Bob-ombs and have him taunt until he goes boomboom.

Rusty Bucket Bay said:
Later games might still crash if too many objects are caught in a Smart Bomb explosion though.

Speaking of the Smart Bomb, when I was playing Star Fox Zero, the game actually did crash at one point when I fired multiple Smart Bombs while using the Landmaster. Apparently, the game doesn't do very well with firing more than one Smart Bomb at a time.

Anyway, I have not experienced any game crashes involving the Smart Bomb in either Brawl or Smash 3DS / Wii U.

I find it rather sad that Bowser never had Dry Bowser as a palette swap option. At least someone made a Dry Bowser hack for Bowser, and he has 8 palettes as well.

Eh, I think it's mostly development time reasons every character don't have alternate costumes and hacks are the only way to put them in.

My favorite cutscene from the Subspace Emissary is not "The Great Invasion" (the one with the giant gunship that gets destroyed by Kirby), but it is a tie between DK's intro cutscene, Peach offering tea to break up a fight between Fox and Sheik and Snake being discovered by Lucario.

Baby Luigi said:
Eh, I think it's mostly development time reasons every character don't have alternate costumes and hacks are the only way to put them in.

You also need to take into consideration the copyright dilemma as well, since not all fighters are Nintendo's property. For one example, PAC-MAN has to always be yellow, because he's Namco's primary mascot.

However, what really bugs me is that for the fighters with more than one outfit variation or gender, there are only 4 palettes of that specific outfit or gender. That literally makes it impossible to do an 8-player Smash match that has either 8 WarioWare Warios, 8 male Robins, or even 8 Olimars.

MnSG said:
You also need to take into consideration the copyright dilemma as well, since not all fighters are Nintendo's property. For one example, PAC-MAN has to always be yellow, because he's Namco's primary mascot.
I'm sorry, but...

what?

What does anything about PAC-MAN's color have to do with copyright issues? Didn't Bandai-Namco develop the game?

Magikrazy said:
I'm sorry, but...

what?

What does anything about PAC-MAN's color have to do with copyright issues? Didn't Bandai-Namco develop the game?

Nintendo does not have the rights to give PAC-MAN different colorations. He has to be colored yellow, much like with how Sonic has to always be colored blue in some way.

Then how do they have the rights to give Mega Man different colors? Capcom had way less involvement than Bandai-Namco did in this game.
Grunty Industries said:
There is this article about Pac-Man's development in Smash 4.
I found nothing relating to what MnSG is talking about here.

From Pac-Man's Smashwiki article:

"In an interview, Masahiro Sakurai said that he would have considered dropping Pac-Man from SSB4 if Bandai Namco had required the usage of his design from Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures."

Magikrazy said:
Then how do they have the rights to give Mega Man different colors? Capcom had way less involvement than Bandai-Namco did in this game.

Mega Man's palettes all originated from mainstream Mega Man titles. It's always possible that those were the only palettes that Namco-Bandai had permission to use.

Well seeing as you haven't given any sources in any of this, it seems to me like you're trying to reach for an explanation as to why they didn't give PAC-MAN more noticeable color options. I always assumed they gave him the armbands as a reference to his association with the 80's. And that they didn't want to give him a Ms. PAC-MAN skin because Midway created the character without Namco's permission and they're still a little bitter over the whole situation.

Grunty Industries said:
From Pac-Man's Smashwiki article:

"In an interview, Masahiro Sakurai said that he would have considered dropping Pac-Man from SSB4 if Bandai Namco had required the usage of his design from Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures."
MnSG is talking about why PAC-MAN doesn't have more noticeable alternate costumes (i.e., only yellow), not sure where you're getting anything to do with Ghostly Adventures from this.

Magikrazy said:
MnSG is talking about why PAC-MAN doesn't have more noticeable alternate costumes (i.e., only yellow), not sure where you're getting anything to do with Ghostly Adventures from this.

Sakurai said that he would have very likely not included Pac-Man in Smash 4 if he couldn't use his classic design, which is were I think it attributes to Pac-Man having a set of not-so-much-different costumes.

PAC-MAN could still have his classic design and add some different colors. PAC-MAN Battle Royale had a red, blue, and purple coloring, surely they could have pulled from that.

Back