Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

One thing I usually do with Melee's handicap system is to set it on 1 on all players, damage ratio is 2.0 and the game mode is Super Sudden Death with only Poké Balls and Starmen. The stage used is Final Destination.

Now the only thing remaining is to wait for Ho-Oh to appear and watch it wreak havoc with Sacred Fire, which will make the character voices go absolutely crazy and superfast due to the high knockback.

Deinosuchus said:
One thing I usually do with Melee's handicap system is to set it on 1 on all players, damage ratio is 2.0 and the game mode is Super Sudden Death with only Poké Balls and Starmen. The stage used is Final Destination.

Now the only thing remaining is to wait for Ho-Oh to appear and watch it wreak havoc with Sacred Fire, which will make the character voices go absolutely crazy and superfast due to the high knockback.

The funny thing with Melee is, with the damage ratio set at 2.0, a handicap 9 Dr. Mario easily 1-hit KOs any handicap 1 fighter with just his standard attack. It doesn't even matter if the handicap 1 fighter's damage is 0%.

It is also possible with Mario's fireballs, touching a Wobbuffet who doesn't move, the Fan and with the Shadow Balls from Mewtwo's forward throw.

Magikrazy said:
Super Smash Bros. Infinite is the best Brawl mod.
Now I'm intrigued. I DuckDuckGo'd it, but I couldn't find the right results.

MnSG said:
I find it sad that Melee's handicap system never returned. It made matches more interesting in that those with a handicap disadvantage had to stay clear of the higher handicapped players, or else they would very likely get crushed from even the weakest kinds of attacks.

You can't do anything like that in Brawl or Smash 3DS / Wii U.
Yes, it's the best handicap system in the Smash Bros. series. You can even couple it with Super Sudden Death AND 2.0 damage ratio as A51_Trooper has done. Dr. Mario's mere punching Star KO's them hilariously. Fireballs kill them. Up-B is absurdly powerful in high knockback settings.

A51_Trooper, tried Super Scopes in those settings? Oh, did you also kill characters with Giant Mushrooms? I also liked how Melee retained the Giant Mushroom effect when one's Star KO'd... same goes for the Freezie.

Strange, though, MnSG, did you know handicap doesn't work in Giant Melee?

LeftyGreenMario said:
Magikrazy said:
Super Smash Bros. Infinite is the best Brawl mod.
Now I'm intrigued. I DuckDuckGo'd it, but I couldn't find the right results.
Funny enough, I looked through the "manual" and one of your alternate costumes is featured on this mod (so is one of Baby Luigi's).

LeftyGreenMario said:
Yes, it's the best handicap system in the Smash Bros. series. You can even couple it with Super Sudden Death AND 2.0 damage ratio as A51_Trooper has done. Dr. Mario's mere punching Star KO's them hilariously. Fireballs kill them. Up-B is absurdly powerful in high knockback settings.

A51_Trooper, tried Super Scopes in those settings? Oh, did you also kill characters with Giant Mushrooms? I also liked how Melee retained the Giant Mushroom effect when one's Star KO'd... same goes for the Freezie.

Strange, though, MnSG, did you know handicap doesn't work in Giant Melee?

I have tried Super Scopes, the rapidfire mode makes them bounce hilariously and it also meteor smashes airborne foes. Handicap does work in any mode in Special Melee. You set it as you normally would.

Deinosuchus said:
I have tried Super Scopes, the rapidfire mode makes them bounce hilariously and it also meteor smashes airborne foes. Handicap does work in any mode in Special Melee. You set it as you normally would.

Unfortunately, Giant Melee and Tiny Melee, for some reason, makes the handicap system not function properly.

Deinosuchus said:
How does it not function properly?

Hardly any knockback differences. Handicap 1 fighters are supposed to struggle against handicap 9 fighters, and yet that apparently isn't the case in Giant Melee or Tiny Melee.

I think it's a glitch, honestly. Because when characters are giant from Super Mushroom in any other normal mode with low handicap, especially Super Sudden Death, they still die to a light breeze.

I think I like Brawl's realism, at least more than previously.

It's just nice looking at the textures. Of course, the palette can be brighter and more saturated with color, but the detail is pretty good. Could be bigger, though.

It also transitions very well into my Left 4 Dead mods, but yeah.

I like only some of the realism but I hate how people think realism = dark, dull, and gritty, and these game developers who designed the color palette for Brawl are no different.

LeftyGreenMario said:
It's just nice looking at the textures. Of course, the palette can be brighter and more saturated with color, but the detail is pretty good. Could be bigger, though.

I love how detailed Peach looks, especially her dress.

Rusty Bucket Bay said:
I love how detailed Peach looks, especially her dress.

If only Peach didn't look so weird in the Mario series titles. Of course, Peach did look rather creepy in Melee, so her Brawl appearance was a huge improvement.

I would love the see the Metroid Mech playable in the next Smash. At least it's big but not too big

MnSG said:
If only Peach didn't look so weird in the Mario series titles. Of course, Peach did look rather creepy in Melee, so her Brawl appearance was a huge improvement.

What do you think of her Smash 4 appearance?

Rusty Bucket Bay said:

I can pretty much say that it's more colorful than her Brawl appearance. Either way, the Smash Wii U and Brawl versions of Peach are a big improvement when compared to her Melee appearance.

Super Smash Bros. 64 had an amazing how to play video, the best in the series.

MnSG said:
Rusty Bucket Bay said:

I can pretty much say that it's more colorful than her Brawl appearance. Either way, the Smash Wii U and Brawl versions of Peach are a big improvement when compared to her Melee appearance.
One thing I liked about her Melee appearance was her hurt face.

LeftyGreenMario said:
One thing I liked about her Melee appearance was her hurt face.

The funny thing is, when your look at Melee Peach's textures, she actually has teeth. You don't see that at all with her Brawl or Smash Wii U models.

Back