Mario Kart reflections

Re: Reflections of past Mario Kart games (Super Circuit)

I replayed Double Dash recently, the controls feel pretty bad compared to the recents Mario Kart. Though the special items were cool. And... Hi I'm Daisy!

honestly i always play wii now
double dash is cool and all but being p2 is kinda boring because CLACKITY CLACK CLACK

Cirdec said:
I replayed Double Dash recently, the controls feel pretty bad compared to the recents Mario Kart. Though the special items were cool. And... Hi I'm Daisy!

I agree, the controls were the main problem of that game in my opinion.

Re: Reflections of past Mario Kart games (Double Dash)

This may surprise you...but I actually used this game as an inspiration for a Simpsons-like Mario TV series back around 2006-around the very same time-I actually simulated a two-lane White Castle drive-thru on a Mushroom City road-about Mushroom City itself, I actually thought it was the Mushroom Kingdom version of Chicago!

TheYoshiState said:
This may surprise you...but I actually used this game as an inspiration for a Simpsons-like Mario TV series back around 2006-around the very same time-I actually simulated a two-lane White Castle drive-thru on a Mushroom City road-about Mushroom City itself, I actually thought it was the Mushroom Kingdom version of Chicago!

No offense, but I didn't understand a word of that.

I think he's saying he made videos using Double Dash.

I used to do that with Super Mario Sunshine.

Plenty of fun times were had with Double Dash. Almost always the driver while my brother was the one in the back. I have much more attachment to this game then MKWii but I can't exactly say for sure that this is my favorite Mario Kart. It did have some interesting courses though.

Probably my favorite Mario Kart. It was also my first video game I played. Shocking, I know, but my parents never let me play video games until my grandparents got some for my birthday. Now they just except that I have video games now.

Until Petey Piranha is playable again, this game will not be topped.

Double Dash aged pretty badly; its age shows, and to this day, if I had to play this or Kirby Air Ride only one more time, it would be Kirby Air Ride.

My first ever video game, and still my favorite (Mario Kart) game. I can't get enough of the mode that no other single Mario Kart game has. Doubles! 2 people can ride the same kart! 2 players can work together!

Double Dash was where it was at! Man, I remember playing it (I got it and a controller off rentals and played on the Wii for a bit), and it was awesome! Hands down the best Mario Kart at the time.
It's aging hasn't been at good as I anticipated.

While we're on the subject of Double Dash, are there any recommended kart and character combos that can help me through the grand prixs?

Godzilla said:
While we're on the subject of Double Dash, are there any recommended kart and character combos that can help me through the grand prixs?

Use a kart that favors high acceleration like Boo Pipes, the Coaches, and all the lightweight vehicles

Godzilla said:
Maybe use a Giant Banana wielder and... I don't know your playstyle. Do you stay often in first? Or are you struggling? Learn to drift as well, since it immensely helps.

I like Fireballs, but based on my insistence to always use Mario, I have to like it.

I always just used Petey/King Boo on Boo Pipes. Occasionally I would go Petey/DK on Boo Pipes for added Giant Banana effect.

MKDS, My first Mario Kart (and video game, unless you count LeapFrog). Definitely wasn't the best, but I have some fond memories of it.

My first Mario Kart game, I loved it. I remember being so happy when I first beat a staff time

Headless Specter said:
My first Mario game, I loved it. I remember being so happy when I first beat a staff time

Fixed for me. Also my favorite MK (and i guess video game) of all time

On DS, I do like how it had custom logos (Even if I'm sure that got abused online xP). But one thing I don't like about the game is alot of the soundtrack. Sure there was a few good ones like Waluigi Pinball. But for the most part, the game has hard to listen to music for me. Like Nintendo had something weird going on when compressing music on the DS or something.

Also while a few tracks are memorable like Waluigi Pinball again and Tick Tock Clock. I feel most of the new courses from the game aren't really the most memorable courses. It's only thanks to the retro courses in future games that I can remember DK Pass or Yoshi Falls. It's also probably not a good thing when I can't recall the Rainbow Road of the game.

Sigh... I disliked DS. Barebones roster, horrible rendering that doesn't even show the DS's potential (even though graphics have never been Mario Kart's strong suit until 8, and even then I dislike the low contrast and overuse of bloom), and slippery controls make for a subpar Mario Kart. I did like the course design, though, and considering it was the first (technically second) MK with retro courses, and the first with online, so it did leave its mark on the series, like it or not.

Back