Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

My friend and I played through the game getting to World 2. Sawmill Thrill's N and secret portal have pissed us off for quite some time, World 2 I find it a big step harder than Returns World 8. I find it having less barrels and longer levels

watched an lp of the first world of this game and so far it looks excellent.

Also those visuals are just just.. amazing

Elsa said:
Ira Gamagoori said:
To be honest, I haven't unlocked any of the K levels yet, but I'm hoping they aren't as brutal as some of the DKCR ones, like Perilous Passage or Treacherous Track.
oh, you're in for quite the surprise

1-k requires so much precision and leaves so little room for error it just makes me want to punch the screen. granted, i wanted to do that with all the temples in DKCR, but not to this extent

also, i always found jagged jewels to be one of the harder temples

I unlocked it and just the name of the stage itself is off-putting (Swinger Flinger, obviously means vines will be involved). I'm hoping that at least if you die, there's a barrel. That'd make it more tolerable than the temples in DKCR where if you screwed up, you're on your own for the majority of the time.

On a side note, I've got every puzzle piece and KONG letters in Worlds 1 and 2.

The game is a perfection in level design. It is just more fun than bland by comparison 3D World. Maybe I hold that opinion now because very few levels in 3D World put up much resistance. The only challenging level was Champions Road. All other levels were moderate at best. The game looked beautiful but was hysterically easy, yes, even going for 100 percent. Even Champions Road was not much trouble if you brought power ups which I refused to. I'm not saying it was bad, it just cannot compare to this game. This game not only looks beautiful, sounds beautiful, it doesn't hold your hand.

It's not a game that a five year old could get through the main story, or a ten year old could ever hope to 100%. I enjoy the rush of knowing I could die at any moment, even with a great deal of skill brought to the table. They even did away with the annoying Super Guide! Tropical Freeze has segments with more technical difficulty than Battletoads. It still doesn't compare to Battletoads with the complete psychological fear of running out of a few lives and having to start the whole game over, and Tropical Freeze gives a ton of extra balloons, but I'm just saying AT TIMES on a technical level at spots, no other things considered.

I'm not saying 3D World sucks, but I would have been so bored after playing this first. Dream Team offered a challenge suitable for older gamers, so why never ever the new Mario platformers? Oh well. I am glad that there is a game not for small kids with the colorful cartoony-type characters I still love. I am no expert, I have been dying a lot, and have also been playing greatly at times. It makes it more exciting when it doesnt cater to a more casual audience. It is nice to have a game for gamers. Donkey Kong Country is becoming my favorite series of all time. And as for the little kids who are playing this, it is about time they learn the depravity that gamers from the 80s felt, of not being able to beat every game they own. It is about time that this spoiled super guide generation learns how to survive in the jungle from which young gamers have been far too removed for too long.

So basically...

3D World is not as good as I wanted it to be because it was not hard. Every game should be hard. That's why I like Donkey Kong Country, because it is hard. Anyone who has a problem with the difficulty needs to know that that's what we indured during our time and you need to too!

Okay, so with that logic...

Black people went through segregation and slavery, so the next generation should witness it too just to feel what they felt during that time.

I don't really like this way retro gamers are about difficulty in games or things that are meant to help you. Also, there is still the items which are really game breaking this time and such so I think that's why the super guide doesn't exist any more.

Ira Gamagoori said:
Elsa said:
Ira Gamagoori said:
To be honest, I haven't unlocked any of the K levels yet, but I'm hoping they aren't as brutal as some of the DKCR ones, like Perilous Passage or Treacherous Track.

1-k requires so much precision and leaves so little room for error it just makes me want to punch the screen. granted, i wanted to do that with all the temples in DKCR, but not to this extent

I unlocked it and just the name of the stage itself is off-putting (Swinger Flinger, obviously means vines will be involved). I'm hoping that at least if you die, there's a barrel. That'd make it more tolerable than the temples in DKCR where if you screwed up, you're on your own for the majority of the time.

yeah, there's a barrel, though i don't really think it makes much of a difference

i've really been thinking that DK's harder to control in this game than the last one. he has more momentum and is harder to stop, which makes precise platforming really hard (though i'm going to put faith in retro that they had people playtest the levels to make sure they're still playable enough)

also i can never seem to grab onto vines for my life, especially in zipline shrine

chillv said:
3D World is not as good as I wanted it to be because it was not hard. Every game should be hard. That's why I like Donkey Kong Country, because it is hard. Anyone who has a problem with the difficulty needs to know that that's what we indured during our time and you need to too!

Black people went through segregation and slavery, so the next generation should witness it too just to feel what they felt during that time.

I understand what you're trying to say but your analogy really isn't all that good. I think it's better to use "kids these days" from the old people for an analogy rather than use something awful and serious like segregation.

A better analogy is to remove internet and encourage kids to read books.

Baby Luigi said:
chillv said:

I understand what you're trying to say but your analogy really isn't all that good. I think it's better to use "kids these days" from the old people for an analogy rather than use something awful and serious like segregation.

Well, when I was writing that, I was irate. Aside from that, I really just wanted to quickly get my point across. But if you want a better analogy here you go. Today, I made a thread on another forum regarding what I said and said this...

( )= I added this to my quote

Depravity? Do you even know what this means? (Why would you enjoy depravity?) Are you a masochist? Also, why would you want kids to feel depravity too? Why should they have to go into a dangerous jungle just because you did as a kid?

With that logic, because your generation was neglected, beaten and harassed means that another generation needs to indure the same thing. (Or because you went out to a dangerous place and almost killed yourself as a kid means that they should too)

If you are interested in seeing the whole thread. I will PM it to you
...but only if you promise not to start up no mess with me!

Again, I totally get your drift, but as I said, the "you kids have it easy" is just like, y'know, Cranky Kong gamers.

Elsa said:
Ira Gamagoori said:
Elsa said:
Ira Gamagoori said:

yeah, there's a barrel, though i don't really think it makes much of a difference

i've really been thinking that DK's harder to control in this game than the last one. he has more momentum and is harder to stop, which makes precise platforming really hard (though i'm going to put faith in retro that they had people playtest the levels to make sure they're still playable enough)

also i can never seem to grab onto vines for my life, especially in zipline shrine
If you are jumping or falling from one vine to another in rapid succession, just keep the Z or B button held down the whole time and he will automatically grab it. There is actually no reason to let it go.

Ira Gamagoori said:
uh, yeah, so the fourth boss is kind of impossible
It was pretty tough. Like a harder version of Lanky Kongs boss. After I beat it I went back and unlocked 2K... gosh mighty THAT LEVEL WAS HARD WTF WE'RE THEY THINKING????? I had over 600 coins and all the puzzle pieces and felt dizzy by the time I beat it. That stupid Walrus towards the end hard to reach it. And you take a hit when you do 9 times out of ten.

Apparently my sister is getting me this for my birthday so that's exciting. :3

Every World 5 level is like a K level from dkcr. They should call it Donkey Kong Country: The Lost Levels. Or maybe it was because I had been playing the game for 6 hours and I was disoriented by then. Hell, Lost Levels has nothing on this game. And I'm talking about the original Wii download of the Famicon Lost Levels, where you had to beat four very tough levels in a row on three lives before you could save. Anyone who is not looking for a steep challenge will feel they went way overboard with the difficulty on this game. Yes, if it wasn't so easy to get extra lives, this game would blow any of the top ten hardest NES games out of the water.

The rainbow at the start of that one level was simply gorgeous. The best background of any game that takes place the Mario universe, ever.

And Chilly I did not mean I was gaming in the 80s. I'm not an older gamer I'm 16. But I played the games from previous generations and think that kids today have it easy. You don't have to have been there in the 80s and 90's to have played the games anymore than you have to have been there to have seen a movie before you were born when it was first released.

I had a lot of trouble with the World 5 boss. That one attack where we summons ice towers and then slides is pretty much impossible to dodge without Cranky.

Diddy Kong is the least useful partner in the entire game.

Sadly, that is true. Vertical gain is much more useful than horizontal gain in this game and Dixie pretty much surpasses Diddy in that department too.

On another note I found the most unfun level in the game so far: 5-K: Platform Problems. Imagine Bopopolis's baddie jumping mixed with Swinger Flinger in precision jumping and throw in some platforms that rotate and you've got a nice steaming turd of a level. Oh, also, no barrel. They make you DK solo it. At least with 3-K they gave you a barrel and Dixie pretty much broke that level. Thankfully, I beat this level with all puzzle pieces so I don't have to do this ever again unless I'm feeling masochistic enough for the time trial.

Ira Gamagoori said:
Sadly, that is true. Vertical gain is much more useful than horizontal gain in this game and Dixie pretty much surpasses Diddy in that department too.

On another note I found the most unfun level in the game so far: 5-K: Platform Problems. Imagine Bopopolis's baddie jumping mixed with Swinger Flinger in precision jumping and throw in some platforms that rotate and you've got a nice steaming turd of a level. Oh, also, no barrel. They make you DK solo it. At least with 3-K they gave you a barrel and Dixie pretty much broke that level. Thankfully, I beat this level with all puzzle pieces so I don't have to do this ever again unless I'm feeling masochistic enough for the time trial.
Um, don't forget you'll have to do it again in hard mode.

Elsa said:
so are all of the K levels ridiculously hard? not looking forward to doing those
4K is the only temple level where it's evenly numbered DKCR counterpart was Harder than it. 4K in TF wasn't that hard by tropical freeze standards. But by human standards, it's harder than just about any platformer you've played.

2K in DKCTF was 1K in DKCR on steroids. I haven't done 5K yet; I will tackle it tonight.

Back