Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Elsa said:
got this

game is hard as hell, and i think dk is harder to control than in the last game

still, it's very beautiful, lots of stuff to explore, secret exits and stuff

lives are very easy to get, but you also burn through them

i got through the first three levels (well, one was a secret level)
I think it is superior than the original. There are less world's but the levels are long.

This game has been released today. I watched some reviews of it, they basically are complaining about the game compared to the old ones on SNES. However, my first Donkey Kong Country game was Returns on Wii.

Also, one review complained abput too ambient music. However, I love ambient music. It makes me feel like I am in a trans that I don't want to go out of.

chillv said:
This game has been released today. I watched some reviews of it, they basically are complaining about the game compared to the old ones on SNES. However, my first Donkey Kong Country game was Returns on Wii.

Also, one review complained abput too ambient music. However, I love ambient music. It makes me feel like I am in a trans that I don't want to go out of.
I hate most video game reviewers. Anything below a 9 for this game is SHAMEFUL!

Chuck Ballymoo said:
I hate most video game reviewers.

Me too, especially IGN. I simply watch them to find out more about the game.

I don't really like opinionated reviews. That's why I review games all in the means to help YOU find out if YOU will like the game, not if I do. However, I still give a few opinions. You can check out my review thread http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=28090.0 to see what I am talking about

It only sold 35k units in Japan. Seriously, will they STOP reporting this DOOM and gloom news about Nintendo? It's really getting tiring. And those idiots from the comments sections of gaming sites who bit(hed and moaned about Retro making this masterpiece instead of Metroid can seriously go fu(k themselves!

Chuck Ballymoo said:
It only sold 35k units in Japan. Seriously, will they STOP reporting this DOOM and gloom news about Nintendo? It's really getting tiring. And those idiots from the comments sections of gaming sites who bit(hed and moaned about Retro making this masterpiece instead of Metroid can seriously go fu(k themselves!

Apparently, you haven't been on "the forum that shall not be named". That forum is where I have had the most and worst experiences on the internet period, and it (and another experience that happened a few minutes after) made me go through a short period of slight depression.

Also, I know nothing about sales, but I don't see how that's terrible sales.

Sawmill Thrill was a blast. Grassland Grove or 3-1 the music in that level OMG OMG !! Must be heard to be believed. MagNIFICIENT SOUNDTRACK.

>level called "Bramble Scramble"
>not using the "Bramble Scramble" cover from DKC2

you had one job, retro

it's a shame because apparently the bramble scramble cover is used in the shitty rocket barrel level for 5 seconds before going to the rocket

oh, and underwater controls suck

Underwater controls might suck with a D-Pad, but with an analog, it is the best underwater controls in gaming history. Smooth as a baby's butt, precise, and a joy to be underwater as opposed to a dread. I wish they could have squeezed Enguarde in the game, but still, underwater swimming is like butter.

some people on gamefaqs forums are full of *bleep*. Complaining about 6K on Hard Mode. How do they know? The game JUST CAME OUT! Even if they have been playing nonstop since the second the store opened, they could not have unlocked Hard Mode already!

Chuck Ballymoo said:
some people on gamefaqs forums are full of *bleep*.
oh no

not full of bleep

also, forgot to mention but i don't really like the music so far in the game. i mean i've only played 3 levels so it's not like i can say so much but nothing stood out to me and i liked the minigame music better in the last game

also, the new minigames are hard. i can't get the hang of these ones

also the bouncing platforms and vines are getting on my nerves, can't get the hang of those

Elsa said:
Chuck Ballymoo said:
oh no

not full of bleep

also, forgot to mention but i don't really like the music so far in the game. i mean i've only played 3 levels so it's not like i can say so much but nothing stood out to me and i liked the minigame music better in the last game

also the bouncing platforms and vines are getting on my nerves, can't get the hang of those
Why is it doing that I thought you could cuss in moderation.

I've liked this game so far. The only thing I don't like is the characters aren't balanced.

Dixie > Cranky > Diddy

Chuck Ballymoo said:
Elsa said:
Chuck Ballymoo said:
oh no

not full of bleep

Why is it doing that I thought you could cuss in moderation.
There's a censor that you can turn on and off. No one actually types bleep.

Except BLOF, who is scared of cursing for some reason.

I refuse to watch any gameplay videos except the trailers because I want to play this game without knowing too much. I have listened to most of the soundtrack and it is amazing! I shall talk about some of my favorite themes, gonna be a lot of mistakes in that below.

Windmill Hill is one that is very catchy and enjoyable, such a forest adventure theme i guess. Sawmill Thrill is a nice remix to the Minecart themes, it has sounds of saws sawing away which I what is pretty awesome. Wing Ding is another catchy one that I like. Emmentaler Stollen (what the name said in the soundtrack) sounds fimiliar, not sure if it is a remix but it is mysterious and cave-ish sounding. Rodent Ruckus is by far the best Rocket Barrel theme, better than Twilight Terror and Colorful Flight. Then there's Grassland Grove/Groove which is one of those themes that you will always remember when you play a Donkey Kong game, it is so beautiful and lively. Not sure what to say for Scorch 'n' Torch. Stickerbrush Symphony is good but eh original and Brawl's theme is better. Irate Eight is a nice remix of Lockjaw's Saga but it wasn't as dark is it sounded in the original but still a great remix. Aquatic Ambience overrated but still calming and amazing as usual. The music in World 5 doesn't seem to please me, it is ok. The Snowmad's theme is a Dark theme I was definitely hoping for! Aqueduct Assault is like another adventure theme, like you are trying to save someone. WOAH maybe Cold Cave has the best Rocket Barrel theme, never heard that one until like now as I am typing! Frosty Forest, great and mysterious. Ice Spark Factory sounds so much like Mining Melancholy but it is supposedly a remix of Fear Factory which I loved that theme in Returns. Staff credits was amazing like most staff credits. Done with talking about music, for now on this game....

okay 1-k is the most ridiculous level

it requires way too much precision

i think i'll skip it for now

Try 1K with Dixie. Oh and did you see this dancing trees best thing ever in the world!

I highly recommend skipping the #-K levels until after you beat the game because it will kind of kill the game for you, in my opinion.

Elsa said:

I sort of agree with this. The music is still great, but most of the music in the first world didn't stand out for me (i.e. I wouldn't actively look it up on YouTube or anything).....until Busted Bayou. God that level is amazing in its design and music. Best level in World 1.

Ira Gamagoori said:
I highly recommend skipping the #-K levels until after you beat the game because it will kind of kill the game for you, in my opinion.

Elsa said:

I sort of agree with this. The music is still great, but most of the music in the first world didn't stand out for me (i.e. I wouldn't actively look it up on YouTube or anything).....until Busted Bayou. God that level is amazing in its design and music. Best level in World 1.
Are these K levels make a joke of the previous games K levels in your opinion?

I have three helpful tactics for clearing a tough level: Repetition, repetition repetition.

Ira Gamagoori said:

Elsa said:

yeah busted bayou stood out for me. gotta love the guitar

also it looks glorious in hd. wow.

Chuck Ballymoo said:
Ira Gamagoori said:

I have three helpful tactics for clearing a tough level: Repetition, repetition repetition.

To be honest, I haven't unlocked any of the K levels yet, but I'm hoping they aren't as brutal as some of the DKCR ones, like Perilous Passage or Treacherous Track.

Ira Gamagoori said:
Chuck Ballymoo said:
Ira Gamagoori said:

To be honest, I haven't unlocked any of the K levels yet, but I'm hoping they aren't as brutal as some of the DKCR ones, like Perilous Passage or Treacherous Track.
oh, you're in for quite the surprise

1-k requires so much precision and leaves so little room for error it just makes me want to punch the screen. granted, i wanted to do that with all the temples in DKCR, but not to this extent

also, i always found jagged jewels to be one of the harder temples

Back