• Cloud Strife

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Corrin

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
Gamefreak75 said:
Ness vs. Mewtwo would've been great (battle of the psychics/mind).

also its literally ness vs giygas.

GBAToad said:
Walkazo said:
My bro also pointed out that the parallels are interesting, like Bowser vs. Mega Man (fire-power?), Yoshi vs. Charizard (flying dragons?), Palutena vs. Ganondorf (lotsa magic?), Pit vs. Meta Knight (wing contrast?), etc. I bet the SSE is totes why ROB and G&W are on the bad side.
now that i look a little closer i can also draw parallels between samus and lucina (masked female heroes) and Shulk and ROB (homs (humans) vs. mechon (robots) as it happens in Xenoblade, idk i've been playing too much xenoblade lately)

the only pair that's sorta out of place (but only due to it being formed by the remaining characters) is zelda and villager. absolutely think that villager is on the dark side because memes and zelda is on the light side because duh, but they don't really have a connection that binds them like the other pairs do

such an awesome poster
I need to point this out again: I believe the "light" side is the angel side and the "dark" side is the demon side, but in the Bayonetta games, they're both monsters that endanger humanity. So, in a sense, they're both "bad". It explains the the omission of obvious heroes. I know it's up to interpretation in the end, but I don't think people get that both angels and demons are villains in Bayonetta games.

I think the parallels are still interesting and I still do get SSE vibes from seeing G&W and R.O.B. there, but it's also funny to see "good" characters as the "angels" and they're in actuality bad guys as well. :P

god reading some people's reactions to the ballot is hilarious

"bayonetta didn't win the ballot, she didn't win any of the fan ballots, her being the winner is IMPOSSIBLE"
"sakurai is alienating his fans with more 3rd party characters, it detracts from the celebration of nintendo hurr durr"
"waaaaah sakurai needs to quit after this game because my character didn't get in, good riddance hakurai"

so much salt

GBAToad said:
god reading some people's reactions to the ballot is hilarious

"bayonetta didn't win the ballot, she didn't win any of the fan ballots, her being the winner is IMPOSSIBLE"
"sakurai is alienating his fans with more 3rd party characters, it detracts from the celebration of nintendo hurr durr"
"waaaaah sakurai needs to quit after this game because my character didn't get in, good riddance hakurai"

so much salt

salt turns people into conspiracy theorists

Baby Luigi said:
the best one i read went something along the lines of "sakurai is literally pandering to himself and not the fans because he CLEARLY wants to work on characters like ryu SOLELY because they look good on a resume and characters like corrin because he's a fire emblem fan. he doesn't actually want to create characters that smash bros. fans ACTUALLY want", which i think was actually the same person who suggested that 3rd party characters detract from the celebration of nintendo

or even "i bet sakurai worked on corrin because it would get him a job at intelligent systems which is clearly where he wants to be, goodbye sakurai"

the mental gymnastics from salty smash fans is insane

23750865146_cc2fb258d9_o.jpg

23150177513_14e30f18c9_o.jpg

GBAToad said:
Baby Luigi said:
the best one i read went something along the lines of "sakurai is literally pandering to himself and not the fans because he CLEARLY wants to work on characters like ryu SOLELY because they look good on a resume and characters like corrin because he's a fire emblem fan. he doesn't actually want to create characters that smash bros. fans ACTUALLY want", which i think was actually the same person who suggested that 3rd party characters detract from the celebration of nintendo

or even "i bet sakurai worked on corrin because it would get him a job at intelligent systems which is clearly where he wants to be, goodbye sakurai"

the mental gymnastics from salty smash fans is insane

Tell me about it. I'm excited for Corrin, but my first thought when seeing Fates footage in the trailer was "GameFAQs is gonna have a field day with this".

My tumblr post on the direct

In it is the livestream video of the direct. I recommend skipping to the time stamps though that I mention because for the most part I'm quiet (I'm not exactly an exciting reaction guy that can keep talking for an hour straight :V) so you'll probably be bored if you try to watch the entire thing. Just using the timestamps you can see my raw reactions to what's being announced.

Below that are also more detailed thoughts on each of the significant parts of the direct.

fuckin hell i keep rewatching the smash direct for some reason. i haven't done this with any other newcomer vids but corrin and bayonetta are fascinating and it kinda sucks that they're not being released until February

i really hope sakurai hasn't made bayonetta broken as hell with her combos and specials, atm she can:
- string together multiple hits on purpose, carrying people to the top of the stage in the process
- infinitely fire bullets which cause characters to FLINCH. combine this with her down smash which can meteor smash characters hanging on the ledge and it seems once bayonetta has you off the stage, you're never getting back on
- rack up damage with her bullet arts and finish them with combos
- use witch time to slow down characters or infinitely screw it up just to absorb damage (what i'd like to see is the witch time effect dissipate after hitting them with one attack but it seems that isn't the case)
- dance taunt = top tier

i get the feeling that most of her attacks aside from smash attacks will have hardly any kill power to compensate (there's a segment where bayonetta performs a huge combo on palutena but doesn't actually launch her very far afterwards), and he did mention that most of her attacks are slow to start, but some of them just seem so op in combination with her other attacks anyway that those drawbacks won't be an issue.

i mean every character seems op as hell in their reveal trailer but this is the one time i'm actually buying into that

BTW "Too many swordsmen" is pretty much a myth

tumblr_nziannzFrK1tdf11no1_1280.jpg

Mythbusters-Busted.jpg

(Though I think in the image if Robin counts as a Sword user, then so does Pit and Dark Pit. But even then it's false)

I think the hatred for swordfighters, especially ones originating from Fire Emblem, comes from the fact that a) more than half the swordfighters have Counter as one of their moves and b) in Fire Emblem's case, all the cast have swords, which isn't representative of the many different types of weapons that the series have. Granted, there's been steps with Robin and Corrin to try to fix that, but they still use swords in a lot of their attacks and there hasn't truly been a non-sword wielding character from FE in smash.

Let's face it, there are too many fucking characters with Counter as their move in some shape or form, and it doesn't help that 5/6 FE characters have Counter and 7/12 of the swordfighters in that list have Counter as one of their moves as well.

Also, the list is inflated just to make it seem like there aren't a lot of swordfighters. Like, why is dedede and peach lumped in with energy/projectiles. They both only have one projectile attack. There are also at least 5 characters that use energy attacks mainly, so lumping them with projectiles and others is silly. I don't really care if there's X number of swordfighers. I do care if the swordfighter has a counter as one of the moves because that's the epitome of lazy.

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/677653052858441728

While we were in the discussion phase, I did worry that we were getting too many "Fire Emblem" characters, but thankfully, Corrin has become a fighter unlike any other. It'll be just a little while more until we're done, so please look forward to it!

even sakurai knew, lmao

.jpg isn't really that lossless at resolutions and colors this high.

Northern Verve said:
BTW "Too many swordsmen" is pretty much a myth

tumblr_nziannzFrK1tdf11no1_1280.jpg

Mythbusters-Busted.jpg

(Though I think in the image if Robin counts as a Sword user, then so does Pit and Dark Pit. But even then it's false)
This is basically sword fighters vs. the rest of the Smash cast who reside in vague poorly defined categories. Seriously, what's an "other"? And why is Wii Fit Trainer an "other"? Isn't she a martial artist too? I can make a crappy list too.

Swordfighters
Fire users
Electric users
Aura/Psychis users
Users with multiple jumps
Gun users
Punching people
Users that wield a weapon that isn't a sword
Users that involve more than one person extensively throughout the moveset.
Wario

And let's arbitrarily put them in ONE group only because there's no such thing as overlap.

Gamefreak75 said:
Also, the list is inflated just to make it seem like there aren't a lot of swordfighters. Like, why is dedede and peach lumped in with energy/projectiles. They both only have one projectile attack. There are also at least 5 characters that use energy attacks mainly, so lumping them with projectiles and others is silly.

That's where you use the always convenient "OTHER" to cover asses.

I've been out of the loop on Smash for a while, but someone please tell me how much salt there was in the Smash community about this:
GenoAvailable.jpg

Back