• Cloud Strife

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Corrin

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
MnSG said:
Has anyone else ever wondered if Rosalina could end up being Smash 4's Meta Knight? She apparently looks like someone who could potentially have very little, if any disadvantageous matchups, especially considering that the Luma can play a big factor on her capabilities.

This could surely leave a lot of characters feeling sour.

Who knows? They always show characters looking awesome in footage

MnSG said:
Has anyone else ever wondered if Rosalina could end up being Smash 4's Meta Knight? She apparently looks like someone who could potentially have very little, if any disadvantageous matchups, especially considering that the Luma can play a big factor on her capabilities.

Every newcomer trailer is going to make the character look OP that's just how it is. If a newcomer ends up being one of the worst fighters in the game do you think they'll show them as such?

I think Rosalina's weakness is her height, she seems floaty. And with her tall stature, it isn't a good combination.

Plus combos may be less influential if there was a major anti-hitstun alteration

MnSG said:

Like SonicMario said, newcomers will seem OP, but it's just to appeal to the audience.

Smash 4 will most likely have a tier list, but probably not as overcentralizing like Brawl with Meta Knight (and some other characters). It would be (near) impossible to make sure EVERY match-up is even, so obviously, Rosalina will have the advantage against some characters, and have a disadvantage against others.

Though at worst, I think she'll be high tier. In Brawl, characters with item/character extensions ended up being high to top tier (such as Diddy with his banana peels, Snake and his grenades, Olimar and his Pikmin, and the Ice Climbers). Her Luma attacks seem just as good as Olimar's Pikmin attacks, if not, better.

From what I've seen, I think her Pros & Cons are:

Pros
- Attacks are separated so she can attack at a safe distance
- Lumas can absorb hit/projectiles (such as Samus' Charge Shots)
- Can manipulate projectiles (like she did with Mario's FLUDD)
- Can be easy to get grabs
- Recovery seems long

Cons
- Tall target
- Seems helpless without a Luma (but then again we don't know how she makes the Lumas appear, it could be like with Olimar and his Pikmin or like Popo and Nana, but I'm guessing the former as there was a Red Luma and her Yellow Luma)

Her KO power is unknown cause we don't get to see the %s of the opponents during the gameplay yet.

Northern Verve said:
MnSG said:

Every newcomer trailer is going to make the character look OP that's just how it is. If a newcomer ends up being one of the worst fighters in the game do you think they'll show them as such?

I think Rosalina's weakness is her height, she seems floaty. And with her tall stature, it isn't a good combination.
It looks like she'll suffer from the same problem Mewtwo had in Melee. Mewtwo was a big target was very floaty.

Not saying she'll be as bad as Mewtwo though. Now, if she was like Project M Mewtwo, then everyone should run for the hills.

Northern Verve said:

Perhaps, but it'll remain to be seen how efficient she'll be in a match. Having a Luma to deal with does mean that grabbing Rosalina will be very tough. And considering that Rosalina's Star Cursor Barrier can protect her from Mario's F.L.U.D.D., it might be able to do the same thing for all the other blockable projectiles.

Basically, Rosalina could prove to be a big threat for the fighters who heavily lack any long range attacks, as they'd have to get by the Luma first (and even then, a new Luma would take its place). And if it's true that Rosalina's Star Cursor Barrier protects against all blockable projectiles, attacking her from a distance will be out of the question.

Anyway, big target or not, Rosalina could still have the potential to have very few, if any matchup disadvantages. It just all comes down to how her overall fighting abilities will work out. Likewise, floaty characters aren't always considered lightweight; Samus is a perfect example of this case.

Mienfoo said:
Timmy said:
I also think Bowser should have a different victory theme cause it didn't suit Bowser sharing the same victory theme when it sounded heroic IMO. :p

plz

To be honest, I'd love for every character to have their own victory theme. I have no idea how feasible that would be, though.
It is feasible, but would take a day or too out of development, and that's something I think Sakurai doesn't want to do right now.

Well, she could end up being like Zelda and Mewtwo; they can be difficult to approach, but at the same time they can't approach too well either.

Also, I think she'll be somewhat heavy (since she's classed that way in the Mario Kart games), but have a slow falling speed.

(Yes, a fast faller and heavy character are completely different... Squirtle and Fox fall quickly, but they're light; Samus is heavy and is one of the slowest fallers in Brawl)

Also fun fact: Peach is BARELY heavier than Marth. xD

One question though, is it better to fall fast or fall slow? I'm still debating that...

Being a slow faller can make you easy to juggle, but you can recover more safely.... I think you would die faster from attacks that launch you vertically though.

Being a fast faller makes you easy to juggle (and chaingrab or whatever) as well, and recovering can be difficult (i.e. Link, lol), but I think it'd be more difficult to KO you from the top (like King DDD who is the fastest faller in Brawl actually and is insanely difficult to kill from the top).

The Luma could easily be used for approaches, as if I recall right, even if it gets taken out, Rosalina can summon another to take its place. Basically, we're talking about someone who could make even Meta Knight tremble in fear. And if you can't get anywhere near Rosalina at all, you're pretty much screwed.

I think that with abilities like that, this could result in Rosalina getting banned from competitive play, just like with what happened to Brawl's Meta Knight.

We have no idea what other characters Sakurai is hiding. I think we should wait for the full roster to be revealed so we can see how Rosalina stacks up against the competition.

Champion Christmas said:
We have no idea what other characters Sakurai is hiding. I think we should wait for the full roster to be revealed so we can see how Rosalina stacks up against the competition.

True. There could always be something that could counter Rosalina's skills, but the real question would be who. Kirby could be one example, even if the matchup is only 50:50.

Play Brawl Minus Olimar and you'll perhaps get a feeling how Lumas can be used. Brawl- Olimar can attack fine without his Pikmin, but once he spawns Pikmin, he can send them anywhere without fear of losing them. And he can remove them at any time and spawn them in the air (although the Pikmin spawn next to him). The Pikmin don't follow him either.

I was just thinking that Rosalina might be a little bit of a Luigification of Zelda, because of this...

5kyt2.gif

This is her Forward Smash attack. It looks pretty much like Zelda's.

5kyxx.gif

This is her Down Smash. Exactly like Zelda's.

5kyz8.gif

And this is her Aerial Down Smash, which has a Meteor effect, just like Zelda's.

What do you guys think?

It seems that Rosalina may succeed where Zelda heavily fails at, but how well the Lumas can take attacks could play a factor into all of this as well.

New Super Mario said:
Yeah. For all we know Lumas could be the weakest things ever.

You could probably say the same thing for Olimar's Pikmin, but it's important to remember that Rosalina can always use the Luma for approach options, as that'll help prolong her longevity in a 1-on-1 match. And unlike the Pikmin, the player actually has control over the Luma, which can lead to a lot of combo opportunities once the Luma has racked up enough damage on its adversary.

In terms of edge-guarding, the Lumas could be a nightmare for anyone who has very predictable recoveries, such as Captain Falcon.

One final note would be how quickly Rosalina can summon a replacement Luma after the last one gets KO'd.

SoPo said:
Who says that Lumas will even get Ko'ed?

They have limited stamina. If a Luma takes too much damage, it'll go flying before disappearing. This won't affect Rosalina's score, much like how KOing Nana doesn't affect Popo's score. Unlike the Ice Climbers, however, Rosalina can summon a replacement Luma, while Popo has to endure without Nana until he gets KO'd.

MnSG said:
SoPo said:

They have limited stamina. If a Luma takes too much damage, it'll go flying before disappearing. This won't affect Rosalina's score, much like how KOing Nana doesn't affect Popo's score. Unlike the Ice Climbers, however, Rosalina can summon a replacement Luma, while Popo has to endure without Nana until he gets KO'd.

You make it sound like it's a bad thing to lose Nana.

Losing Nana is a level up
It only makes him stronger

Losing Nana severely reduces the Ice Climbers' ability to chain grab and they get a power drop. Sounds bad to me.

The Nutcrackin355 said:
MnSG said:
SoPo said:

You make it sound like it's a bad thing to lose Nana.

Losing Nana is a level up
It only makes him stronger

You and I know the truth.

I'm pretty much excited of the Rosalina announcement. I actually called that out 6 years back! The SSB series is in desperate need of more female fighters. IIRC, there were only 4 or 5 female fighters in Brawl. If I were to predict another newcomer, I would guess Krystal from the Star Fox series. The most far-fetched one will be Geno.

Crap, I really wanted it to be on the Wii U, but at least MK7's Rainbow road is great.

Back