• Cloud Strife

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Corrin

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
SHAME ON THEM. AND NAMCO BANDAI FOR THAT MATTER

Noticed the stage as soon as I saw the image. Great, that AGAIN...

Yeah why the ---- are they bringing back Brinstar....again?

Why not Planet Zebes, or Norfair, or even Brinstar Depths

This update is awful. Hnnnng ~_____________~

BLOF, relax.

I mean, sure, I don't think they should be showing so much of her, but this is canon as it appeared in Zero Mission. This is simply fan service for thoses that wanted these alternate costumes.

And it's not like they are showing a lot. I mean, the zero suit shows as much curves as these does, but it's not like you can see any part of her chest and her shorts aren't showing any butt.

But Brinstar was no different to the 64 one anyway.

To celebrate, I'm going to go bash up Zero Suit Samus on Brinstar with Luigi.

Henry said:
BLOF, relax.

I mean, sure, I don't think they should be showing so much of her, but this is canon as it appeared in Zero Mission. This is simply fan service for thoses that wanted these alternate costumes.

And it's not like they are showing a lot. I mean, the zero suit shows as much curves as these does, but it's not like you can see any part of her chest and her shorts aren't showing any butt.

Couldn't they have chosen....something....else though? Why is it only the females that get even more scantily dressed than the males? Before you guys accuse me of being a "ZOMG FEMINAZI" I'm totally fine with Zero Suit Samus being in tights and all, but here, she's like wearing ONLY undergarments. HERE is where I draw the line at fanservice with female characters, especially in a Nintendo game like this.

And no, being designed by another female who was insistent on it means squat to me.

Well, this is the first time a Smash Bros. update made me throw up a little inside.

Alternate costumes are for the most part just reskins it seems, aside from a few (Villager, Sweatshirt Mac, etc.). So it makes sense that they would choose a costume for Zero Suit Samus that wouldn't require them to change the model.

If they are going to give neat costumes like these to everyone and not just the ones we've seen so far then I don't know if ZSS would have any other good choices. It does seem a bit fan-servicey but this was in Zero Mission already so it's not like it's completely out of nowhere. It's canon so I have no complaints about it, I'd be worried about what they were thinking if they hadn't taken it from a Metroid game.

I'm just hoping this does mean that all the characters will be getting cool alternate costumes.

Like what if instead, we get Zero Suit Samus in a helmetless Power Suit minus the arm cannon or something, to distinguish from Samus? That would be cool.

Baby Luigi said:
Like what if instead, we get Zero Suit Samus in a helmetless Power Suit minus the arm cannon or something, to distinguish from Samus? That would be cool.

That wouldn't work. She's supposed to be more agile without her suit. Having the helmet off won't do anything and she won't be able to use her weapons because of the lack of jet boots and one of her arms being inside a cannon.

Mio Akiyama said:
Mio Akiyama said:
So it makes sense that they would choose a costume for Zero Suit Samus that wouldn't require them to change the model.

But this IS changing the model. It's most certainly not a recolor of Zero Suit Samus.

Magolor said:
Baby Luigi said:

That wouldn't work. She's supposed to be more agile without her suit. Having the helmet off won't do anything and she won't be able to use her weapons because of the lack of jet boots and one of her arms being inside a cannon.

Fair enough.

But can't I have the right to still be disgusted by this. A tiny bit even? Even if it's official?

It definitely looks like a reskin to me. I meant change the model like how Male and Female Wii Fit Trainer have different models.

It's not like hitboxes are ridiculously hard to alter. They're more certainly easier to create than new models. In fact, hitboxes ARE highly simple and optimized versions of your base models.

I doubt any alternate costume would have the capacity to greatly alter hitboxes anyway.

Mio Akiyama said:
It definitely looks like a reskin to me. I meant change the model like how Male and Female Wii Fit Trainer have different models.

Well it's most certainly not a reskin. It looks much more complex than simply changing the textures. The pants, the bra (which appear to be their own elements rather than texture on a skin because clothing textures on skin usually look awful) and skin are a model alteration. In fact, it's about as much as a model alteration as Male Wii Fit Trainer is.

Lumastar said:
Mio Akiyama said:
They still have the same hitboxes. That matters when making alternate costumes. Just look at Lucina.

Read my post. NO alternate character will have different hitboxes.

Are you trying to say that they put the same amount of effort replacing suit with skin and making the leftover suit textures look like they did in the Zero Mission end screen as they did making Male and Female WFT different? lol okay, sure.

They put the same amount of effort making this costume as they did with murica mario and skyward sword clothes link. The skin stretches in that picture just like her suit does, it seriously just looks like they reskinned her to look like she does.

Mio Akiyama said:
Are you trying to say that they put the same amount of effort replacing suit with skin and making the leftover suit textures look like they did in the Zero Mission end screen as they did making Male and Female WFT different? lol okay, sure.

They put the same amount of effort making this costume as they did with murica mario and skyward sword clothes link. The skin stretches in that picture just like her suit does, it seriously just looks like they reskinned her to look like she does.

I know what I'm talking about because I had 3D modeling experience: some aspects on her are way too complex to be mere texture alterations such as different topometry on her legs, where the socks are. Possibly some of her details such as the wrinkles are a result of a bump map, if possible, or it could be a completely different polygon. Either way, you also need to create new textures. Zero Mission is a GB game anyway, so it uses sprites, therefore, you need to either make a new texture or alter the existing one and if you DO alter the existing one, it's not a mere edit but a complete overhaul of it, by the looks of. Plus you might need to remap the UVs as well.

Wii Fit Trainer uses more simple single color textures and Male Wii Fit Trainer seems to use the same or similar stature, as well as similar mapping. He looks like a vertex edit. A well made one regardless but still, I think it takes as much effort to make this than this Zero Suit Samus.

Whereas, America Mario is ONLY a texture change, there seems to be zero vertex alterations on his model compared to the base. Skyward Sword Link also appears to be a retexture as well, as with maybe a new polygon or two.

Contra(dictory) said:
people mad because a woman wanted samus to wear a canonical alternate costume in smash bros

amazing

Yes how dare I get mad at this. How dare I question the design choices, regardless of the gender of the person who did this.

well i for one think its really cool how theyre bringing back old school samus, and its pretty neat how theyre including pretty much all her different suits
if they brought back the bikini from the very first metroid then yea i mean obviously thatd be kinda dumb but this is just her in a 2 piece that isnt even revealing or anything.

i always wondered though, does she still have those chozo markings on her back or is that only for her zero suit? cause in fusion shes like this when she has her back turned
mzm_ending6.gif

Ritsu Tainaka said:
well i for one think its really cool how theyre bringing back old school samus, and its pretty neat how theyre including pretty much all her different suits
if they brought back the bikini from the very first metroid then yea i mean obviously thatd be kinda dumb but this is just her in a 2 piece that isnt even revealing or anything.
This.

i always wondered though, does she still have those chozo markings on her back or is that only for her zero suit? cause in fusion shes like this when she has her back turned
mzm_ending6.gif

[/quote]
We don't know yet. We haven't seen Zero Shorts Samus's (coined it) back yet.

Back