Supper Mario Broth

There is an interview on Vice about Supper Mario Broth here: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/vbnewa/meet-the-meticulous-fan-behind-the-internets-most-meticulous-mario-blog

Excerpts from the interview:
“[long pause] The people that I could turn to normally in real-life at all had their own difficulties,” said the blog’s author, who asked to be addressed as Broth, out of respect for his privacy. “Normally, I do not try to trouble my readers. I know that people come to Supper Mario Broth just to see some Mario facts. They do not come here to listen to my problems.”

His problems aren’t simple, though, and have repeated in recent years. A little while back, he was forced to sell every video game he’s ever owned, including the consoles they ran on. The majority of his collection was Mario-related, and some of the items went back decades.

“It was very saddening, but I'm, of course, more glad that this could help me out of the trouble I had at that time than than the fact that I needed to sell them,” he said. “Because in the end—this just may sound a little bit sentimental—but these Mario games are all living on inside my own head. I do not need consoles to close my eyes and imagine myself playing Super Mario Bros.”
The two knew each other in real-life, and bonded over a shared hobby. The name Supper Mario Broth came from a brainstorming session where Super Mario Borscht and Soapy Mario Bath were both names they almost settled on. But they decided to stay in the realm of food, thanks to the series’ regular theming around the topic, and Supper Mario Broth stuck.

Thank you for reading.

I didn't know there is a different Supper Mario Broth blog dedicated to smaller findings! It's here, and it's called "Small Mario Findings": https://smallmariofindings.tumblr.com

As to why it's called "Small Mario Findings"?

tumblr_pgc6flJ3281wnhojco1_400.png

In Super Mario Maker for the Nintendo 3DS, it is normally not possible to obtain a Mystery Mushroom, the costume-changing item from the Wii U version of Super Mario Maker. However, prior to version 1.03, oversights like Big Magikoopas being able to turn a block into a Mystery Mushroom resulted in players being able to obtain it. When Mario collects a Mystery Mushroom in this version, his appearance remains that of Small Mario, despite no Mystery Mushroom granting that costume (the closest being Costume 2, which is Small Mario with a modern red-and-blue color scheme). As the costume retains all normal Costume Mario functionality, Mario can crouch, which is the sprite depicted here.

However, the sprite is not truly unique to the 3DS version. It is possible to see it in a different resolution in the Wii U version, by using a “30th Anniversary Mario - Classic Color” amiibo and obtaining a Big Mushroom, which turns him into a version of Small Mario that is twice the size, i.e. with each pixel being a 2x2 pixel square. The Big Mushroom grants Mario a different set of abilities from the Mystery Mushroom, but crouching is still among them, meaning that when Big Mario crouches, he uses this exact sprite - but at twice the size.

This sprite was chosen as the avatar image for this blog due to the fact that the blog’s name is “Small Mario Findings” and it depicts Small Mario; and also due to the fact that it is, in both the literal sense and the metaphorical sense, a small finding: it is a smaller version of a regular sprite that can only be seen under very specific circumstances.

This is why the blog's header has Super Mario Maker's font.

--

Here are a couple of images from that website:
tumblr_pglnsnGu9g1wnhojco1_400.jpg

tumblr_pgc9yfXgiN1wnhojco1_400.png

Thank you for reading.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/9varl1/ama_with_supper_mario_broth_this_saturday/ Sucks I'll be at work that day

Glowsquid said:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/9varl1/ama_with_supper_mario_broth_this_saturday/ Sucks I'll be at work that day
I will attempt to answer all questions posed in that thread even if they are posted much later, so please don't hesitate to ask me something even if you can only get around to it on a different day. Alternatively, you can always just ask me something right here, in this thread, and I will reply!

A trivial point, but since it was brought up in the Discord server, I think it's fair to notice you of this:

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1069424497801990144
[quote author=Supper Mario Broth]
As Baby Yoshis have only appeared in Mario games with 2D gameplay, they are always seen only from the side.
[/quote]I think you meant "in the games", as there was effectively official hand-drawn material showing them from a front view:
SMAGPB2_Cover.png

SMAGPB2_Yoshi_Squishing_Ludwig.png

Mister Wu said:
[quote author=Supper Mario Broth]
As Baby Yoshis have only appeared in Mario games with 2D gameplay, they are always seen only from the side.
I think you meant "in the games", as there was effectively official hand-drawn material showing them from a front view:
[/quote]
I am very sorry about the sloppy way I have worded that Tweet. The replies have shown me that my readers take my words very seriously and I cannot use words like "always" to mean "almost always". The correct way to word that sentence would have been "As Baby Yoshis' appearances in Mario games have only been in games with 2D gameplay, it is rarely possible to get a good look at them from the front". I will word my posts more carefully in the future to avoid making implications I did not intend.

Back