FTG's art

It's actually meant to be based on Dark Fawful's cape colors, but now that you mention it, using that shade of blue and red does make it look pretty Mario-esque. That also reminds me how Fawful's main colors normally are red and green, the very colors he claims give him PTSD. Guess he really hates mirrors then...

I wanted to depict Mario x Vivian in 3D, and thankfully there is a fantastic Vivian model by Peardian so credit to him.

mario_x_vivian__render__by_fawfulthegreat64-dchj84m.png

Also I figured I'd put also the stuff I've posted on DeviantArt between now and my last post, which actually isn't much but I'll put it in spoilers.

peach_x_pauline_by_fawfulthegreat64-dccgwsl.png

This is also a ship that I like so I made a 3D render of it.

next_time_by_fawfulthegreat64-dce9fym.png

You probably guessed what this was about before clicking the spoiler. I may have posted this here somewhere around that time but clearly not in here so lol

super_paper_mario_modern_logo_by_fawfulthegreat64-dcf5rjn.png

This was more of an ambitious edit using assets from Color Splash's logo.

So the art contest is underway now, meaning my entry can be posted (and elaborated) :P

So, it's basically Paper Mario style art, nothing I haven't done in the past, but I was trying for a more dynamic pose this time. I wasn't sure what I was going to end up making for the Art Contest, but once I started this in Inkscape I had that intention for it. The rough pose idea was originally intended for a Paper Mario in Mario Tennis Aces thing, but I ended up just giving him the hammer. It's more adaptable to be used in future projects that way.

I was going for a style mostly reminiscent of TTYD and SPM, but applied some of the shading and colors from Color Splash's artwork as well. The background is based on the "New Party Member" screen in Super Paper Mario and was made from scratch in Photoshop. Though, I also ended up using it in Dimentio's entrance for my mod video. But yeah, you probably already saw it in the art contest thread but here it is :)

E_Fawfulthegreat64_2018.png

As a bonus, here's the transparent version (warning: it's huge and was scaled down to fit in the final entry)

36wKEV4.png

There's a lot of great entries for the contest, so don't forget to vote for your favorites :D

Czario said:
Looks just like the official art!
thumbup.gif
Thank you, I'm flattered you think so :) Personally I already noticed imperfections in it that I'll be attempting to do better next time I do the style lol.

On another note, I compiled my sprites into a more organized sheet and added some new poses.

fawfulthegreat64_basic_sprite_sheet_by_fawfulthegreat64-dcii2js.png

More Paper Mario style practice. This time basic jumping artwork, an interpretation of the "modern" jumping pose (which is subtly different from the one in TTYD/SPM) in the TTYD style. This is the first time I've made the shadow under the mustache because for some reason I wasn't confident in my ability to replicate that before and I didn't consider it an important detail. But overall I like how this turned out :)

paper_mario__jumping__remake_by_fawfulthegreat64-dci6r36.png

A side note: I always thought the jump pose in Sticker Star onward looked like Doopliss's jump pose as Mario.

Mario's Odyssey tux in Paper Mario style:

paper_mario___wedding_tux_by_fawfulthegreat64-dcjq17c.png

It took a lot of adjusting to get a rough base to work with here, I even brought the top hat model from Odyssey into Blender to get a good angle for it. The coat was also a challenge to make natural but I think I did a decent job. Paper Mario artwork is fun to make :)

If there's a next Paper Mario, assuming it's like the first two, they should definitely make these types of costumes for Mario. Extend beyond the W and L emblems.

So in school I'm learning Illustrator. I used Inkscape before but I'm doing fairly well adapting to Illustrator. So here's the first personal thing I made with it.

master_of_dimensions__dimentio_by_fawfulthegreat64_dcnrq23-pre.png

To absolutely nobody's surprise, it's Dimentio. This is an SVG file, the PNG version (in case this doesn't load right) is available on my Deviantart :)

EDIT: the SVG apparently does not display on the new forum software (still did in the editor but not in the preview?) so I replaced it with a PNG

Last edited:
Thanks, I really wish I could adapt that into a mod for SPM or TTYD, but the hat won't fit in the space the game allows for his hat without looking shrunk or squished :/

Kind of yes. Here's the regular artwork version:

0rMOvdG.png

This artwork is divided into pieces that I have in separate files on my computer, and for some hand poses I base it on Paper Mario sprites, but the standard artwork doesn't use gradients (I might add them at a later point).

Back