Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

tbh i thought it was older

I have got the game but don't really play it much as it has gotten boring for me.

I would play the game more if the item system was like in Mario Kart Wii or Mario Kart 7. Even on 200cc it can screw you if you get hit at the beginning.

This game needs a battle mode as good as Mario Kart 7's and DS's

I (finally) got myself a Wii U! Bought the Super Mario 3D World bundle, and Mario Kart 8. I am so excited. I am hoping to get more games like Super Smash Bros, Mario Party 10, & Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

Time to go race on 48 tracks. Then later, 216.

you should also consider getting pikmin 3, it's pretty great especially if youre a fan of the first games.

Have you considered Splatoon as part of the games you wanted? Not saying that you must get it, but its fresh take on things would be worth something.

Thanks for reading.

Speaking of Splatoon I wouldn't mind Splatoon-themed DLC

yes that would be amazing

I had a dream that the new DLC included Diddy Kong, Toon Link, and both the male and female Inklings. It was the next DLC pack and was not announced alongside a hypothetical Pack 4. Then again the pack also included a track called Excitebike Splatoon Mount that featured ink everywhere and pink platforms in the sky. I have no idea why I dreamt that, but I did. Surprisingly it was kind of realistic.

It would be funny if Diddy Kong was there, but not Bowser Jr.

Vinnie said:
Does anyone else do time trials? Some of my highlights include 2:02 on Mount Wario, 2:15 on Cloudtop Cruise and 2:17 on DK Jungle.
update
my 3 best times are now 1:56 on Cheep Cheep Beach, 2:07 on Yoshi Valley and 2:08 on Dolphin Shoals
I TTed all of the first DLC courses just in time for the next pack, of which only Baby Park has been TTed

After a few weeks, I might as well release my opinion on the tracks, so here's their ranking in the cup from first to worst.

Mushroom Cup: Thwomp Ruins, Sweet Sweet Canyon, Water Park, Mario Kart Stadium (Pretty basic tracks here, like all Mushroom cups)
Flower Cup: Shy Guy Falls, Toad Harbor, Twisted Mansion, Mario Circuit (Really like how cool racing on the Falls is)
Star Cup: Mount Wario, Electrodrome, Sunshine Airport, Dolphin Shoals (Probably the best cup in the game. Mount Wario is the best track in the game)
Special Cup: Cloudtop Cruise, Rainbow Road, Bowser's Castle, Bone Dry Dunes (One of the best songs is in Cloudtop Cruise, Rainbow Road hell on 200CC)
Shell Cup: Toad's Turnpike, Cheep Cheep Beach, Moo Moo Meadows, Mario Circuit (Not a good cup, GBA Mario Circuit is my least favorite track, which isn't saying much because all of these tracks are amazing)
Banana Cup: DK Jungle, Royal Raceway, Dry Dry Desert, Donut Plains 3 (Probably the worst cup in MK8)
Leaf Cup: Yoshi Valley, Music Park, Sherbet Land, Wario Stadium (Reverse order in favoritism)
Lightning Cup: Tick Tock Clock, Piranha Plant Slide, Grumble Volcano, Rainbow Road (In order, I feel N64 Rainbow Road is overhyped, it looks nice but isn't worthy of a 10/10 because it's too fast and only 1 lap.)
Egg Cup: Yoshi Circuit, Mute City, Excitebike Arena, Dragon Driftway (I always fall on Dragon Driftway somewhere. Mute City is probably the fastest track.)
Triforce Cup: Rainbow Road, Hyrule Circuit, Wario's Gold Mine, Ice Ice Outpost (Not much to say here)
Crossing Cup: Wild Woods, Cheese Land, Baby Park, Animal Crossing (Wild Woods is probably the best DLC track. Not a big fan of the Winter Animal Crossing)
Bell Cup: Big Blue, Super Bell Subway, Ribbon Road, Neo Bowser City (Reverse order in favoritism here too. Big Blue is amazing and is top 10 in MK8.)

Overall, this is the best Mario Kart, and might be one I'll keep forever. :luma: :luma: :luma: :luma: :luma:

My Top 5:
1. Mount Wario
2. DS Tick Tock Clock
3. Wild Woods
4. Electrodrome
5. N64 Yoshi Valley

Might as well do the same thing.

Mushroom Cup: Sweet Sweet Canyon, Thwomp Ruins, Water Park, Mario Kart Stadium
Opinion: More exciting than past Mushroom Cups. Sweet Sweet Canyon makes a nice change since it is quite exciting for a Mushroom Cup course. And the fact we don't have a "_____ Circuit" yet is nice too.

Flower Cup: Shy Guy Falls, Toad Harbour, Mario Circuit, Twisted Mansion
Opinion: Not the best Flower Cup, that goes to Mario Kart 7. This one has some interesting courses due to the antigravity. I really like the shape of Mario Circuit and that it is the game's logo (almost). The problem with it is it could have come back as a retro track in the form of Mario Kart DS' Figure-Eight Circuit. Shy Guy Falls is amazing. Enough said. Twisted Mansion is OK but also a little boring. Toad Harbour is also quite cool, and I like how it looks a bit like San Francisco.

Star Cup: Electrodrome, Sunshine Airport, Mount Wario, Dolphin Shoals
Opinion: One of my favourite Star Cups. I love how Electrodrome is kind of similar to Melody Motorway, where you drive over things to make sounds. The music is also cool. Sunshine Airport is only good if you drive at the perfect speed. You shouldn't miss any planes on the gliding section.
Mount Wario is exciting but I find I cannot seem to win it if people are playing with me. On the downhill section at the end, I'll always get hit by a shell of some sort. And Dolphin Shoals is just pure *bleep*.

Special Cup: Cloudtop Cruise, Bowser's Castle, Rainbow Road, Bone Dry Dunes
Opinion: Cloudtop Cruise is a nice course because it uses Super Mario Galaxy music, even if it is the overused Gusty Garden music. Bowser's Castle is quite similar to the one in Mario Kart Wii, but it does have an ending similar to Mario Kart 7. So it's more like a mixture. I was excited for the new Rainbow Road, but I have to say, I was disappointed. I mean, it's called Rainbow Road, for heaven's sake! Why are we suddenly on a space station? And where is that piece of music from Mario Kart 64 we all love to hate? Bone Dry Dunes is fine in single player, but sometimes in multiplayer the cave seems much darker. I have to use the GamePad during the race, which I hate doing.

Egg Cup: Excitebike Arena, Dragon Driftway, Yoshi Circuit
Opinion: I really like how Excitebike Arena changes layout without you really noticing. The only problem I have with this is that sometimes after a jump, you will land in mud due to the layout change. Dragon Driftway is often a favourite from friends and family. I seem to remember another course somewhere else shaped like a character... which brings me to Yoshi Circuit. This time, I like how things were added to the background like helicopters and lighthouses. In fact, the part just after the tunnel reminds me of a coastal road in Wales. Mute City is fine but also quite boring.

Crossing Cup: Cheese Land, Wild Woods, Animal Crossing, Baby Park
Opinion: I absolutely HATE the Crossing Cup. Memories of the hundreds of attempts of completing it changing my supposed favourite course to Baby Park. On multiplayer, however, it can be quite fun, Wild Woods especially.

Shell Cup: Toad's Turnpike, Mario Circuit, Cheep Cheep Beach, Moo Moo Meadows
Opinion: The most boring cup in the game. Nothing more to say.

Banana Cup: DK Jungle, Royal Raceway, Dry Dry Desert, Doughnut Plains 3
Opinion: DK Jungle and Dry Dry Desert haven't changed much, but I hardly recognised Royal Raceway. Doughnut Plains 3 is a boring course, but mainly because SNES courses basically had the same layout.

Leaf Cup: Melody Motorway, Yoshi Valley, Sherbet Land, Wario Stadium
Opinion: Most of the courses here are good, but I remember in Mario Kart 64, Yoshi Valley seemed to have more routes and lacked that massive bend near the egg part. Sherbet Land seems longer than other courses and it's sometimes hard to navigate (underwater parts in particular). And Wario Stadium is just another "______ Stadium".

Lightning Cup: Rainbow Road, Tick-Tock Clock, Piranha Plant Pipeway, Grumble Volcano
Opinion: I like how instead of it being a 7-minute long track, Rainbow Road is split into 3 sections. Tick-Tock Clock looks better but the other courses never really changed.

Triforce Cup: Hyrule Circuit, Rainbow Road, Ice Ice Outpost, Wario's Gold Mine
Opinion: Hyrule Circuit is a fun track to play as well as Ice Ice Outpost, but the latter only in multiplayer. Rainbow Road is strangely present for the second time in a row, looking the same as it did in Mario Kart 7, with background. Wario's Gold Mine has always been boring to me.

Bell Cup: Ribbon Road, Big Blue, Super Bell Subway, Koopa City
Opinion: I love love love Ribbon Road's new design. It reminds me of Mario Kart K'Nex sets. Big Blue is another fun multiplayer course and while I didn't like Mute City, I do like this one. Super Bell Subway is fine alone, but with others it can get very intense. Koopa City is meh.

Combination: Iggy, The Duke, Slick, Plane Glider
My brother's combination: Larry, Pipe Frame, Slim, Cloud Glider (previously Metal Mario, GLA, GLA Wheels, Cloud Glider but I told him off for it - it messed up my stats)
My mum's combination: Lemmy, Sports Coupe, Normal, Cloud Glider
My dad's combination: Luigi, Circuit Special, Slick, Bowser Kite
My grandma's combination: Ludwig, Pipe Frame, Crimson Slim, Waddle Wing

If you read this, thank you. It took me ever so long.

giphy.gif

Mushroom Cup: Water Park > Sweet Sweet Canyon > Mario Kart Stadium > Thwomp Ruins
Overall a pretty solid cup, I like water park the most simply because it's an original idea (I know there has been Baby Park before but this one's a real track after all), Sweet Sweet Canyon reminded me too much of wreck-it-ralph, mk stadium is just generic and thwomp ruins is dull and boring.

Flower Cup: Toad Harbour = Shy Guy Falls > Mario Circuit >>>>> Twisted Mansion
Very Good Cup, has two of the best tracks in the game, but also one of the worst ones. Mario Circuit is just generic but it's like the best generic track, but it still loses to Toad Harbour and Shy Guy Falls which are both very fun. Twisted Mansion is neither fun nor interesting, it's just your average ghost course.

Star Cup: Mount Wario >>> Sunshine Airport > Electrodrome >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dolphin Shoals
Has 3 really good maps and the most disgusting course in the game. Mount Wario still wins by a landslide though, because it's incredibly fun to race through every time, the track design is perfect and the music is really good too. Sunshine Airport is an original idea and very fun and very solid, just places over Electrodrome because I thought the idea behind that was worse. Dolphin Shoals can go die in a fire.

Special Cup: Cloudtop Cruise >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bowser's Castle = Rainbow Road > Bone Dry Dunes
Cloudtop Cruise is the only one that really stands out here. Else the courses pretty much suck. Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road are generic and can't compete with previous iterations of them, and especially rainbow road didn't impress me at all. Bone Dry Dunes is a desert track so it automatically goes to the trash bin, it's also the second worst track in the game. This is my least favourite cup in the game, easily.

Egg Cup: Mute City >>> Dragon Driftway >>> GCN Yoshi Circuit > Excitebike Arena
Mute City rules. Dragon Driftway is my second most favourite track in dlc 1 but it just can't compete. Yoshi Circuit is generic but looks incredibly good compared to GCN and DS, still far behind the former two. Excitebike Arena isn't that bad tbh but it's comparatively bad. Overall really great DLC cup.

Crossing Cup: Wild Woods > GBA Cheese Land >>> GCN Baby Park > Animal Crossing
Wild Woods is Shy Guy Falls 2.0, and also better than that, incredibly fun track and my 3rd most favourite out of DLC 2. Cheese Land gets points for being way better than the original, it's technically a desert track but it's the best one in all mario kart games so far. Baby Park is Baby Park, and Animal Crossing just barely loses because the track is really, really generic, although the visuals and the changing seasons are quite nice. Overall about the same as Egg Cup.

Shell Cup: GBA Mario Circuit > N64 Toad's Turnpike = Wii Moo Moo Meadows = DS Cheep Cheep Beach
The tracks of this cup are about equally boring. Bonus points for Mario Circuit being somewhat creative. Easily the most boring cup in the game, like RedShell said, but not the worst. That's still special cup.

Banana Cup: N64 Royal Raceway >>> 3DS DK Jungle >>>>>>>>> GCN Dry Dry Desert = SNES Donut Plains 3
Royal Raceway is gorgeous. It's kinda generic but it's way better than the other tracks in this cup. I liked DK Jungle in MK7 but it like didn't change at all except for one anti-gravity part which you don't even really recognize. Dry Dry Desert still sucks. Donut Plains is better than in SMK but it's still a SMK track, and the only good track in that entire game was rainbow road. Overall meh cup because 2 1/2 bad tracks.

Leaf Cup: DS Wario Stadium > N64 Yoshi Valley >>> 3DS Music Park > GCN Sherbet Land
Wario Stadium is still bae. Yoshi Valley is also gorgeous, the N64 retros in this game are mostly spot on (except for Toad's Turnpike which is still boring). Music Park is cool but it changed EVEN LESS from MK7, and at this point it's just becoming stupid. Sherbet Land is meh because slippery ice and B- track design, but this is also a pretty strong cup, soooo.

Lightning Cup:
Wii Grumble Volcano > DS Tick Tock Clock >>> N64 Rainbow Road >>> 3DS Piranha Plant Pipeway
Grumble Volcano still best mkwii track and it's even better here. easily my favourite standard retro. even though tick tock clock is a close second for that because it really does the track justice. Rainbow Road is cool but why only 1 Lap? At least it's miles better than normal Rainbow Road. Piranha Plant Pipeway is eh, it's like the only 3DS track that has been changed a lot, but it's still meh like in MK7. Overall this is probably the best regular cup in the game.

Triforce Cup:
SNES Rainbow Road > Wii Wario's Gold Mine >>> Hyrule Circuit >>> Ice Ice Outpost
The worst DLC cup. Rainbow Road is still great, but it's virtually unchanged in track design which is just weak (I would've loved to see anti-gravity sections). Wario's Gold Mine was meh in mkwii, it's better here but loses to rr. Hyrule Circuit is generic and gimmicky, like animal crossing. Bonus Points for design though. Ice Ice Outpost is just a bad track.

Bell Cup:
Big Blue > GBA Ribbon Road >>> Super Bell Subway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3DS Neo Bowser City
Best Cup in the game. Big Blue is fucking amazing. Ribbon Road is fucking amazing. Super Bell Subway is great. Neo Bowser City is... okay that one sucks lol, it was meh in MK7 and it's virtually unchanged sooooo...

Ranking:
1. Big Blue
2. GBA Ribbon Road
3. Mount Wario
^those are all really close together though, in the mk daily rating thread I'll give all of those 10/10
4. Mute City
5. Wii Grumble Volcano
^tied with multiple other tracks, but idc.

mah turn, bolded are my favourites, green is good, blue is average, red is boring aka don't expect me to ever want to play these levels.

Mushroom: Water Park > Thwomp Ruins > Sweet Sweet Canyon > Mario Kart Stadium
Flower: Shy Guy Falls > Twisted Mansion > Mario Circuit = Toad Harbour
Star: Dolphin Shoals > Mount Wario > Electrodrome = Sunshine Airport
Special: Bone Dry Dunes > Cloudtop Cruise > Bowser's Castle > Rainbow Road

Shell: Wii Moo Moo Meadows > DS Cheep Cheep Beach > N64 Toad's Turnpike = GBA Mario Circuit
Banana: SNES Donut Plains 3 > 3DS DK Jungle > N64 Royal Raceway = GCN Dry Dry Desert
Leaf: GCN Sherbet Land > N64 Yoshi Valley > DS Wario Stadium > 3DS Music Park
Lightning: Wii Grumble Volcano = N64 Rainbow Road > DS Tick-Tock Clock = 3DS Piranha Plant Slide

Egg: Mute City > GCN Yoshi Circuit > Excitebike Arena > Dragon Driftway
Triforce: Wii Wario's Gold Mine > Ice Ice Outpost > SNES Rainbow Road = Hyrule Circuit
Crossing: GBA Cheese Land > Animal Crossing > Wild Woods = GCN Baby Park
Bell: Big Blue > Super Bell Subway > 3DS Neo Bowser City > GBA Ribbon Road

I don't want to write a wall so this is all you get.

It's fine in Time Trial mode, it's just that the CPU seem extremely hard on it. Like I was winning on 200cc until someone had a mushroom over the last corner.

The CPUs act the same in any other course

I enjoy Dolphin Shoals too.

Back