Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

I really need to get back into playing this game. While I'm not too thrilled about all the non-Mario DLC characters, the new courses (especially F-Zero) are pretty amazing.

I'll do what Crackin did with the colours only blue = best, green = good, orange = average and red = bad.

Mushroom Cup: Water Park > Thwomp Ruins > Mario Kart Stadium > Sweet Sweet Canyon

I like Water Park quite a bit, and I think it's slightly underrated. It makes a good beginning track and I love its theme and music. Thwomp Ruins is okay, but it is quite boring. Mario Kart Stadium is basic, but it's probably my favourite of the first tracks. I just really hate Sweet Sweet Canyon. Its music is annoying and I've never been too big on food tracks other than Cheese Land.

Flower Cup: Twisted Mansion > Toad Harbour > Shy Guy Falls > Mario Circuit

Twisted Mansion is probably one of my favourite tracks in the game and it makes a nice spiritual successor to Luigi's Mansion. I personally love the music on this track. Toad's Harbour is okay, but I liked it a lot more when the game first came out. It's also way overpicked online. I've never been a fan of Shy Guy Falls for some reason. The idea of racing down a waterfall was a cool idea, but it didn't seem very well executed. The Mario Circuit seemed really cool when I didn't have the game, but when I actually played it I felt underwhelmed. The anti-gravity on this track was boring and the track was boring.

Star Cup: Mount Wario > Electrodrome > Sunshine Airport = Dolphin Shoals

Mount Wario is a very fun track and felt almost like an adventure since it was a three part track. My favourite part is the cave part. However, I felt like this track didn't feel Wario enough. There's not much things Wario related aside from the name. There could be a massive Wario ice sculpture somewhere in the track. Electrodrome is meh, the music is annoying as hell and the track design is super flashy and annoying. Sunshine Airport is super overrated and overpicked. I liked it at first but I got so bored of it I never want to play it again. Dolphin Shoals has awful track design, but okay music. Overall, though I enjoy Mount Wario, the other tracks really way down this cup, making it the second weakest cup in the game.

Special Cup: Bowser's Castle > Bone-Dry Dunes > Cloudtop Cruise > Rainbow Road

This iteration of Bowser's Castle is a really fun track. I like the mecha Bowser that punches the stage and the other hazards. Really cool music too. I find Bone-Dry Dunes a really underrated track. For a desert track it was not bad and it had good shortcuts. Cloudtop Cruise is another good track, and I like racing on it. Rainbow Road is meh, it didn't feel as good as some of the other Rainbow Roads and is a bit too flashy and not magical enough.

Shell Cup: Mario Circuit (GBA) > Cheep Cheep Beach > Moo Moo Meadows > Toad's Turnpike

Mario Circuit is decent, but it is super overrated and overpicked and gets way more love than it deserves. Cheep Cheep Beach is okay, but really boring, Moo Moo Meadows is really, really boring, and Toad's Turnpike is one of the worst tracks in the entire game. Overall, the weakest cup in my opinion.

Banana Cup: Royal Raceway > Donut Plains 3 > DK Jungle >>>>>>>>>>>> Dry Dry Desert

Royal Raceway is definitely one of my favourite tracks, it has a lot of tricky turns and it has pretty good music. Donut Plains 3 is pretty good and is fun for a short race, DK Jungle is boring to play on, and Dry Dry Desert is just awful and the worst track in the game.

Leaf Cup: Sherbet Land > Yoshi's Valley > Wario Stadium > Music Park

Sherbet Land is a favourite track of mine in Double Dash and now it's even better since you can go underwater. Yoshi's Valley is also one of my favourite tracks since you can go a bunch of different paths. Wario Stadium is a fun track. Music Park is just terrible.

Lightning Cup: Rainbow Road (N64) > Tick-Tock Clock = Grumble Volcano > Pirahna Plant Slide

Rainbow Road is really awesome, it has amazing music, beautiful graphics with out looking super flashy like the other Rainbow Road and it has the hype train in the background. Tick-Tock Clock is a cool track and is interesting, and Grumble Volcano is really awesome too. Pirahna Plant Slide is also a good track. Overall, I don't hate a single track in this cup.

I'll do the DLC later.

Eh, I'm bored.

Blue = Awesome
Green = Good
Yellow = Okay
Red = Bad
Dark Red = Terrible

Mushroom Cup: Thwomp Ruins > Water Park > Mario Kart Stadium > Sweet Sweet Canyon

Thwomp Ruins is super fun and does really well with antigravity.
Water Park is pretty cool, I like the gliding section.
Mario Kart Stadium is pretty standard and kinda boring but definitely good for a starting track.
Sweet Sweet Canyon is super boring and the piranha plants are annoying.

Flower Cup: Shy Guy Falls > Twisted Mansion > Mario Circuit > Toad Harbour

Shy Guy Falls is a really cool concept and I love the singing shy guys.
Twisted Mansion is really fun, especially the underwater section.
Mario Circuit is a bit boring but I really like the idea of going around a Mobius Strip and I think they executed it well.
Toad Harbour is just meh overall, the entire thing is just.. nothing special.

Star Cup: Mount Wario> Electrodrome > Dolphin Shoals > Sunshine Airport

Mount Wario is an awesome concept and is the best new track in this game, excluding the DLC.
Electrodrome is a blast to race on and the antigravity is utilized pretty well.
Dolphin Shoals is a pretty good track, I just love the concept of underwater.
Sunshine Airport is boring and has crappy music and is the worst new track in this game, once again excluding the DLC.

Special Cup: Rainbow Road > Bowser's Castle > Cloudtop Cruise > Bone Dry Dunes

Rainbow Road is super fun and looks amazing visually, don't really get all the hate it gets.
Bowser's Castle is pretty dang fun and the Bowser statue looks badass.
Cloudtop Cruise has good music and pretty good track design.
Bone Dry Dunes is horrible and you just slip everywhere and ugh.

Shell Cup: DS Cheep Cheep Beach > GBA Mario Circuit > N64 Toad's Turnpike > Wii Moo Moo Meadows

Cheep Cheep Beach is fun and has nice music and I have DS bias so yeah.
Mario Circuit is meh but they did a really good job with it, much better than the original.
Toad's Turnpike is a terrible track and should die. At least it's better than the godawful N64 version.
WHY IS MOO MOO MEADOWS IN THIS GAME OUT OF ALL THE WII TRACKS AAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH IT'S SO BAAAAD *rips hair out*

Banana Cup: 3DS DK Jungle > SNES Donut Plains 3 > N64 Royal Raceway > GCN Dry Dry Desert

DK Jungle has great music, and I like the anti-gravity part a lot.
I'm not entirely sure why I like Donut Plains, I guess it's just kinda calming, and I like the whistles :3
N64 Royal Raceway is very simple and boring but the section with the hot air balloons is really nice.
Dry Dry Desert is a horrible track, why is it in this game?

Leaf Cup: DS Wario Stadium > 3DS Music Park > N64 Yoshi Valley > GCN Sherbet Land

Wario Stadium is super duper fun with all the tricks, they did an amazing job updating it, and DS bias.
Music Park is still fun but I really wish they updated it more.
Yoshi Valley is good but a real disappointment, they could have done so much better.
Sherbet Land is annoying and boring.

Lightning Cup: DS Tick Tock Clock > Wii Grumble Volcano > 3DS Piranha Plant Slide > N64 Rainbow Road

(Wow look it's all blue, I had a really hard time ranking these because they're all so gooood.)

Tick Tock Clock is unrecognizable and I LOVE IT, everything about it is amazing, and DS biaaaaaassssss.
Grumble Volcano was one of the best tracks in Wii, and it's visually stunning.
Piranha Plant Slide was the second best track in 7 (RIP Wario Shipyard, maybe next game ;-;) and they did a great job updating it.
Rainbow Road is visually amazing, and they managed to make it not boring like the original yayyyyy!

Egg Cup: Mute City > Dragon Driftway > GCN Yoshi Circuit > Exshitebike Arena

Mute City is an amazing idea for a track (RIP F-Zero ;-;7) and is designed really well.
Dragon Driftway is a cool concept and the track design is pretty good.
Yoshi Circuit is boring and annoying. The music is nice though.
Why does Excitebike Arena even exist? Worst track in the game, no redeemable qualities.

Triforce Cup: Wii Wario's Gold Mine > Hyrule Circuit > SNES Rainbow Road > Ice Ice Outpost

Wario's Gold Mine was a great choice from Wii, and the antigravity part is really fun. Awesome music too.
Hyrule Circuit has great music and a pretty nice track design.
Rainbow Road was unnecessary but this is the best rendition of it. 7's version had better music though.
Ice Ice Outpost is annoying as hell.

Crossing Cup: GBA Cheese Land > Wild Woods > GCN Baby Park > Animal Crossing

Cheese Land is amazing in every way, amazing music, amazing design. Best track in the game.
Wild Woods is really fun, the water part is my favorite.
Baby Park is still chaotic and I love it, the way the music speeds up is great.
Animal Crossing is an interesting case. The spring, summer and fall versions are pretty fun. However, the winter version is really annoying.

Bell Cup: Big Blue > 3DS Neo Bowser City > GBA Ribbon Road > Super Bell Subway

(Wow look another all blue one, I once again had trouble ranking these because they're all so amazing.)

Big Blue is super fun, has amazing design, and has the best music in the game. Second best track in the game.
Neo Bowser City was another awesome 3DS track, and this version has the best visuals in the game.
They did an excellent job updating Ribbon Road, racing on this track is a joy.
Super Bell Subway is an awesome concept, and they executed it really well. I love the underground remix and the graffiti, reminds me of New York City. (Although the subway stations there are much dirtier, LOL.)

Overall:
Bell Cup > Lightning Cup > Crossing Cup > Triforce Cup > Star Cup > Special Cup > Leaf Cup > Flower Cup > Mushroom Cup > Banana Cup > Egg Cup > Shell Cup

Top 5:
GBA Cheese Land
Big Blue
Wii Wario's Gold Mine
3DS Neo Bowser City
Mount Wario

Did I win the wall contest?
(It took me waaaaaay too fucking long to type this)

Blue - Amazing
Green - Good
Orange - Okay
Red - Bad
Maroon - Absolutely Terrible

Mushroom Cup: Thwomp Ruins > Mario Kart Stadium > Sweet Sweet Canyon > Water Park

We're starting off with one of the worst cups in the game, the Mushroom Cup. Mushroom Cup has never been anything too spectacular, but this one is one of the most tedious I've played. Thwomp Ruins is the best track in this cup, but it's nothing to hit home about. I like the fact that there are 4 paths to take in one part, and the way they handled the anti-gravity, but that's really it. Mario Kart Stadium trails closely behind it, being a cool first circuit, but other than that, there's nothing too notable. Sweet Sweet Canyon would be absolutely terrible if it followed a theme that wasn't candy. It's boring, but I liked the neat candy touches they added (hence why it's not absolutely terrible). Water Park, though, has nothing saving it. I always hated it, it was really boring, and I just dislike water tracks in general. I've tried convincing myself to like it, but at the end, I just gave up.

Flower Cup: Twisted Mansion > Shy Guy Falls = Toad Harbour > Mario Circuit

Now itès time for Flower Cup. One of the best tracks in the game, the best pre-DLC track, and even beats some of my Wii and DS favourites after a few years, Twisted Mansion never ceases to amaze me. The Boos, the underwater section, everything is just perfect. Shy Guy Falls I always found too goddamn cute. owo The Shy Guys singing is what does that, probably. Toad Harbour is equal to Shy Guy Falls, they're both well thought, good tracks.

Star Cup: Mount Wario = Sunshine Airport > Dolphin Shoals > Electrodrome

Special Cup:

Shell Cup:

Banana Cup:

Leaf Cup:

Lightning Cup:

Egg Cup:

Triforce Cup:

Crossing Cup:

Bell Cup:

Lag is one of the many reasons I feel online would be a miserable experience.

I've had enough of it in Mario Kart 7's local multiplayer thank you very much.

Besides freedom of course choice is a thing I covet and playing online loses me that option.

Rankings:

Favorite
Liked
Average
Disliked

Mushroom Cup: Thwomp Ruins > Mario Kart Stadium >Sweet Sweet Canyon > Water Park

Flower Cup: Toad Habour > Shy Guy Falls > Mario Circuit > Twisted Mansion

Star Cup: Mount Wario > Sunshine Airport > Eletrodome > Dolphin Shoals

Special Cup: Cloudtop Cruise > Bowser's Castle > Rainbow Road > Bone Dry Dunes

Shell Cup: DS Cheep Cheep Beach > N64 Toad's Turnpike > Wii Moo Moo Meadows > GBA Mario Circuit

Banana Cup: 3DS DK Jungle > N64 Royal Raceway > GCN Dry Dry Desert > SNES Donut Plains 3

Leaf Cup: DS Wario Staduim > GCN Sherbet Land > 3DS Music Park > N64 Yoshi Valley

Lightning Cup: 3DS Piranha Plant Slide > N64 Rainbow Road > Wii Grumble Volcano > DS Tick Tock Clock

Egg Cup: Mute City > Excitebike Arena > GCN Yoshi Circuit > Dragon Driftway

Triforce Cup: Hyrule Circuit > Wii Wario's Gold Mine > Ice Ice Outpost > SNES Rainbow Road

Crossing Cup: Wild Woods > GCN Baby Park > GBA Cheese Land > Animal Crossing

Bell Cup: Big Blue > 3DS Neo Bowser City > GBA Ribbon Road > Super Bell Subway

Cup rankings: Star Cup > Crossing Cup > Egg Cup > Lightning Cup > Special Cup > Bell Cup > Triforce Cup > Flower Cup > Leaf Cup > Mushroom Cup > Banana Cup > Shell Cup

For me, it's probably this:

Mushroom Cup: Sweet Sweet Canyon > Water Park > Thwomp Ruins > Mario Kart Stadium
Flower Cup: Toad Harbor = Twisted Mansion > Shy Guy Falls > Mario Circuit
Star Cup: Electrodome > Mount Wario > Sunshine Airport > Dolphin Shoals
Special Cup: Cloudtop Cruise = Bowser's Castle > Rainbow Road > Bone Dry Dunes

Shell Cup: Toad Turnpike > Moo Moo Meadows > Mario Circuit > Cheep Cheep Beach
Banana Cup: Royal Raceway > DK Jungle > Dry Dry Desert > Donut Plains 3
Leaf Cup: Yoshi Valley = Wario Stadium > Music Park > Sherbet Land
Lightning Cup: N64 Rainbow Road> Tick Tock Clock, Piranha Plant Slide > Grumble Volcano

Egg Cup: Dragon Driftway > Mute City > Excitebike Arena > Yoshi Circuit
Triforce Cup: Hyrule Circuit > Ice Ice Outpost > Wario's Gold Mine > Rainbow Road
Crossing Cup: Wild Woods > Animal Crossing > Cheese Land > Baby Park
Bell Cup: Big Blue > Ribbon Road > Bell Subway > Neo Bowser City

Overall: Star Cup > Special Cup > Triforce Cup > Bell Cup > Leaf Cup > Lightning Cup > Egg Cup > Crossing Cup > Flower Cup > Banana Cup > Mushroom Cup > Shell Cup

Baby Luigi said:
I'm actually very impressed with MK8's online. It almost always runs flawlessly for me. Much better than Smash's online.

MK8 lag is sometimes awful, like you aim someone with a green shell and hit it, however it doesn't lose any speed. Too bad, you got owned by lag. And you can't do anything about that because you aimed correctly.

GalacticPetey said:
Baby Luigi said:
I'm actually very impressed with MK8's online. It almost always runs flawlessly for me. Much better than Smash's online.

Honestly for a game that requires far more precision than Mario Kart, I think the flaws are by default more notable in Smash's online.

Alright for my course list.
Best
Good
Average
Dislike
Bad

Mushroom Cup: Thwomp Ruins > Sweet Sweet Canyon > Mario Kart Stadium > Water Park
In my opinion, the best Mushroom Cup in the series, Mario Kart Stadium was good for a starting course compared to others. The first three have great music, Water Park's music was not that great, nor was racing on it. It felt bland and surely could have been better. I really liked the idea of a Sugar/Candy course, really reminds me of Wreck-It Ralph. Thwomp Ruins is also a neat idea and I do like the atmosphere of it.

Flower Cup: Shy Guy Falls > Twisted Mansion > Mario Circuit > Toad Harbor
Shy Guy Falls is a really good concept, going up and down falls, singing Shy Guys, I love it! Twisted Mansion is a really good Haunted course, nice use of anti-gravity. Mario Circuit is my favorite Mario Circuit in the entire series, nice idea to do a Mobius Strip as the design, very interesting. Toad Harbor was fine but it wasn't that fun, the downhill part seemed kind of wide and it wasn't all that amazing, now if they had a sunset to the course, I would totally enjoy it much more.

Star Cup: Mount Wario > Dolphin Shoals > Electrodrome > Sunshine Airport
Mount Wario was a really cool course, the first section could be a little better but I enjoyed it. Also I wish it was longer, maybe after the dam section. Dolphin Shoals was a really fun course, I liked the Pipe jet streams and the Unagi, and that loop towards the end. If only they used the Highlight Reel theme for the entire course, love the Sax. Electrodrome is a cool concept, kind of wide in some parts and the anti-gravity really makes the course fun. Sunshine Airport is another fun course, nice concept and really well done, but that floating section could be a bit more interesting.

Special Cup: Bowser's Castle > Cloudtop Cruise > Bone-Dry Dunes > Rainbow Road
Maybe the best Bowser's Castle, but where are the Thwomps!? Also could be longer, great music too! Cloudtop Cruise is overrated but I do enjoy it, not much else to say. Bone-Dry Dunes was very slippery and has a lot of tight turns, challenging but fine. Rainbow Road is not what I was expecting, it's different but it feels way to short and I am not a fan of split paths in Rainbow Roads, unless done correctly like MKW, music is decent.

Shell Cup: DS Cheep Cheep Beach > GBA Mario Circuit > Wii Moo Moo Meadows > N64 Toad's Turnpike
I never liked Cheep Cheep Beach, but the music is nice and the visuals are good, it is a nice track but not that great. Mario Circuit is fun and the music is nice, could have done a little more maybe? I did not like Moo Moo Meadows in MKW, but with the sunset and visuals, I actually like it, and there are different colored cows! I loved Toad's Turnpike but what they did was not great, less cars, wide lanes, wide track, much shorter and music is not that good. I think the original is better in terms of racing, but the visuals are really nice in MK8's version.

Banana Cup: 3DS DK Jungle > N64 Royal Raceway > SNES Donut Plains 3 > GCN Dry Dry Desert
DK Jungle is pretty similar to the original, it is a good course and I do like it a lot. Royal Raceway looks really good, to bad you can't go to the castle, it has a nice atmosphere. Donut Plains was good, maybe have more Monty Moles, it wasn't the greatest, but it is fun to do a quick race on. Dry Dry Desert could have been good if they kept the tornado, had more Pokeys and had that monster thing in the sand. The Oasis is nice though but it feels bland with the color they used for sand.

Leaf Cup: DS Wario Stadium > N64 Yoshi Valley > 3DS Music Park > GCN Sherbet Land
Wario Stadium is awesome, if only they kept it during the night time, it has a nice stadium feel. Yoshi Valley is fun, but some paths seem too wide, also where are the Porcupines? Also the egg needs to be bigger and I feel like the one U-turn part could have been turned into anti-gravity but it wasn't, it is still good. Music Park is good, fun to race on and looks nice. Sherbet Land could have been better if the underwater section was removed and if the Freezies would actually freeze you. The visuals are nice, but it is boring.

Lightning Cup: 3DS Piranha Plant Slide > Wii Grumble Volcano > DS Tick-Tock Clock > N64 Rainbow Road
Love Piranha Plant Slide, it looks so nice and is very fun to race on. Grumble Volcano, unchanged yet still fun and looks much more menacing! Tick-Tock Clock is fun and is really good and appealing to fans. Rainbow Road seems too short, they could have made it long with the 1 loop or just keep it the length it now is and make it 2-laps. But it looks really good and the music is wonderful!

Egg Cup: Dragon Dirftway > Mute City > GCN Yoshi Circuit > Excitebike Arena
Dragon Driftway is so fun and is awesome! I love the Chinese feel and the music. Mute City is fun and fast, music is good, but not that great. Yoshi Circuit is better than the original and way better than MKDS's version. It still plays the same but it is just better. I hate Excitebike Arena, the course changing is hardly noticable and I just don't care for the music or visuals, could have been better.

Triforce Cup: Wii Wario's Gold Mine > SNES Rainbow Road > Ice Ice Outpost > Hyrule Circuit
Loved Wario's Gold Mine in MKW and it looks much better in MK8, I wish the minecarts would hurt racers though, also singing Shy Guys again. Rainbow Road is a classic, also it looks amazing, those disco hills though. I thought Ice Ice Outpost was cool, but it is kind of okay, racing is pretty normal, nothing too special about it. I did not care for Hyrule Circuit, it's not fun to race on and I don't think the music was done well. Also I really hate that bend at the end of the course.

Crossing Cup: GBA Cheese Land > GCN Baby Park > Wild Woods > Animal Crossing
Cheese Land is chaotic! I love the music and the visuals, although it is a desert course.. The Chain Chomps are nice, but where are the Mowzes and the space background? Baby Park is just... wow. Chaotic and just as good as the original, I guess the speeding up music is fine, but the music is good. Wild Wild Woods is a good track, interesting and visually appealing. It could be better with more length, it also felt a bit wide. Animal Crossing was alright, at least it changes everytime. The music and visuals are nice, from great to okay, Winter, Autumn, Summer, Spring. But I am not a fan of Animal Crossing so it isn't something I like too much.

Bell Cup: Big Blue = Super Bell Subway > 3DS Neo Bowser City > GBA Ribbon Road
Big Blue is just wonderful, music and everything... but it could be longer.. :-\ Super Bell Subway is awesome, great music and visuals, fun to race on, same goes for what I said for Big Blue, maybe longer, it felt short, especially in the station. Neo Bowser City looks great, that is what the Wii U can really do, it feels like a true city, way better than the original. I like how Ribbon Road was done, it looks good, and fun, but I just don't like driving on it at all, it's not what I enjoy. Also the music is not something I like too much, the original music is better.

So from best cup to worst cup, Bell > Lightning > Star > Crossing > Leaf > Special > Egg > Triforce > Flower > Mushroom > Banana > Shell

My two favorite courses are GBA Ribbon Road and GBA Cheese Land. I like your list too! Mostly, I think the remade Mario Kart: Super Circuit tracks in Mario Kart 8 are the best! My favorite new course is Shy Guy Falls. :yoshi:

RandomYoshi said:
Why is getting three stars on 200cc so hard? I've only managed Mushroom, Flower, Star, Special and Shell, not anything else.

I personally haven't found it particularly challenging at all, but I could be just lucky. Hell I was pretty lucky in Crossing Cup. I was close to losing my three stars on my first try.

Oh you should try it, the computer isn't any harder than it is in 150cc. Hell, they make more mistakes more often. Especially in SNES Rainbow Road, they enjoy falling off the track.

Baby Luigi said:
RandomYoshi said:
Why is getting three stars on 200cc so hard? I've only managed Mushroom, Flower, Star, Special and Shell, not anything else.

I personally haven't found it particularly challenging at all, but I could be just lucky. Hell I was pretty lucky in Crossing Cup. I was close to losing my three stars on my first try.
What build are you using? Personally, I use Wario + Gold Kart + Triforce Tyres + Wario Glider, so I almost have zero handling. In 200cc, that makes controlling your vehicle very difficult.

RandomYoshi said:
Baby Luigi said:
RandomYoshi said:

What build are you using? Personally, I use Wario + Gold Kart + Triforce Tyres + Wario Glider, so I almost have zero handling. In 200cc, that makes controlling your vehicle very difficult.

Baby Luigi + P-Wing + GLA Tires + Plane Glider. That could explain something, lol.

Sometimes, opt for blue mini-turbos instead of orange. Helped me get through Neo Bowser City with ease. Also, don't be afraid to liberally use brakes. You'll know if you use them to a point where you stop drifting.

Baby Luigi said:
Baby Luigi + P-Wing + GLA Tires + Plane Glider. That could explain something, lol.

Sometimes, opt for blue mini-turbos instead of orange. Helped me get through Neo Bowser City with ease. Also, don't be afraid to liberally use brakes. You'll know if you use them to a point where you stop drifting.
Ah, that explains it — even the early speedrunners were using lightweight characters prior to getting good with heavyweight characters in 200cc runs.

Either way, I already break massively — even to the point where I use Y to accelerate because then I can access B much quicker. I guess it's just a case of trial and error at this point.

Back