Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

http://www.gunslingergaming.com/html/MK8Stats.php

Amazing

Cirdec said:
Because Kooper, Lakilester and General Guy appear in only one game, from N64. While Shy Guy, Lakitu and Koopa are in almost every Mario game.
My opinion is that some RPG characters have too many backstories that don't fit in a normal Mario spinoff. In other cases there are also characters with very simple background that new fans don't even have to know that. For example, we just have to know that Gourmet Guy is just the largest one of his species and that's enough.

NSY said:
I really really hate it when people see how important the roster is and they do everything they can to complain about it even though it's only 5% (if not, less) of the content in the game. Sure Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach are dumb but look at the good stuff, like the tracks, the new items, anti gravity and the bigger range of online options.
Well that's simple, if it costs the same time to make a perfect roster or an infeasible one, which fans would like to see the latter?

I personally have no issues with the two. Generally I would support all characters to have a texture swap, and some really independent child characters like KatAna.

Speaking of rosters, many earlier roster guessing expect that this game to have more than 30 characters (no Miis). I don't hate the current amount, but I wouldn't think that this roster is big enough to include all Koopalings.

Baby Luigi said:
Dry Troopa said:
Look at this article:
http://www.nintendolinked.com/journalist-complains-lack-diversity-mario-kart-8-roster/

The roster has

3 plumber guys
1 barrel of lard
5 babies
7 Koopalings
1 Giant Turtle
A hairy ape
2 Koopas
2 different colored metal guys
3 ladies
2 shroom heads
1 red robed mask shy person
1 ugly mutated green colored frog beast

How is that NOT diverse?

You forgot the obnoxious humanoid with an abnormally large head.

When I said no generic species rep, I meant new ones.

EDIT - Also, From this review:

"The other notable omission is in the cast of characters’ diversity. After 30 years there are still zero Mario characters of color, a problem that Mario Kart 8 highlights by lining up all the characters on a single screen. When it comes to human characters, Mario Kart 8 is overwhelmingly white. Of the 29 drivers, 14 are human (including Toad and Toadette), and every single one of them is white. While it’d be atypical of Nintendo to introduce new characters into a Mario Kart game, it’s also where the deficit is the most obvious, and during play I found myself disappointed that Nintendo’s stable of characters so painfully fails to reflect the diversity of its audience."

Um, Mario is red and Luigi is green.

That's how I see it, and that's how I've always seen it.

And as Baby Luigi pointed out, it's plenty diverse.

They're called "Paste Magazine", which describes exactly what this writer eats

Ulrich said:
"The other notable omission is in the cast of characters’ diversity. After 30 years there are still zero Mario characters of color, a problem that Mario Kart 8 highlights by lining up all the characters on a single screen. When it comes to human characters, Mario Kart 8 is overwhelmingly white. Of the 29 drivers, 14 are human (including Toad and Toadette), and every single one of them is white. While it’d be atypical of Nintendo to introduce new characters into a Mario Kart game, it’s also where the deficit is the most obvious, and during play I found myself disappointed that Nintendo’s stable of characters so painfully fails to reflect the diversity of its audience."
You can't have a lack of race in a karting game. :dk:

Mario isn't white, he's Mushroom Kingdomian. Toad isn't white, he's fungal. King Boo, Dry Bowser, and Dry Bones are the only white characters, so yeah.

But really, go play as that goddammed Mii if you want dark-skinned humans so badly. Don't make racial diversity for the sake of racial diversity, especially in a fantasy kingdom filled with intriguing creatures.

Let's talk about the courses instead guys?

So what courses do you like the look of, I personally like the mountain course mostly because of the fact I have wanted something like that in years.

I actually just played the demo since it's also available at some stores in Australia as well. Keep in mind that I played through the entire demo which played at 100cc with 2 laps and included all 30 characters and the following courses:
Mario Kart Stadium
Water Park
Mario Circuit
Sweet Sweet Canyon
Sunshine Airport
Toad Harbor
Electrodrome
Cloudtop Cruise

The inside drifting is no where near as broken as it is in Mario Kart Wii, though it will definitely take time to get used to if you plan on using one of the sports bikes often.

The Super Horn and Spiny Shell are just as uncommon as many reviewers have said, I ended up getting each in the first race (as in I used the Super Horn just before a Spiny Shell tracked me down, just my luck) but I never encountered either again. Though getting hit by other items seems to be a lot more punishing now, especially with the new one item at a time system and at least at 100cc and lower it's very hard to drift while shrunk by a Lightning Bolt, there's something that probably hasn't been mentioned.

But yeah, there isn't really a whole lot to talk about that hasn't already been said at least from my experience anyway.

No-Face said:
Dry Troopa said:
Look at this article:
http://www.nintendolinked.com/journalist-complains-lack-diversity-mario-kart-8-roster/
well, considering that we have a series with all kinds of fantastical magical creatures, it's pretty odd that after 30 years there's a pretty noticeable lack of any people of color at all

maybe there was one in some game but i certainly can't recall them
White is a color

Honestly, the term "Racism" is incorrect, since humans are all of the same race.

So, the Mario Kart - and Mario series - is one of the most non-racist in that term, since there are humans, koopalings, toads, turtles, the strange beings called Miis...

I just find it funny because the Mario Kart series has been around for 22 years now, while the Mario series has been around total for like 30 years or just about. That's like that one review giving criticism to Pokemon XY because it "still felt like Pokemon".

Baby Luigi said:
Dry Troopa said:
Look at this article:

The roster has

3 plumber guys
1 barrel of lard
5 babies
7 Koopalings
1 Giant Turtle
A hairy ape
2 Koopas
2 different colored metal guys
3 ladies
2 shroom heads
1 red robed mask shy person
1 ugly mutated green colored frog beast

How is that NOT diverse?
Mario, Luigi, Waluigi
Wario
Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Rosalina, Baby Daisy, Baby Peach
Larry, Roy, Lemmy, Wendy, Iggy, Morton, Ludwig
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Koopa, Lakitu
Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach
Peach, Daisy, Rosalina
Toad, Toadette
Shy Guy
Yoshi

I would say that Camelot Sport games should be with skincolor issue, because there are tons of minor human characters but we can hardly see more cultural backgrounds.

For Mario series, the characters have been iconic for a long time, you can't change their iconic appearance to solve this issue. Maybe Zelda series can do this since each game is independent.

The more reasonable problem is that humans and koopas dominate this game, leaving very little room for the others, just like Ulrich said. There should be a new kong, a kremling, a new identity of character and a species that isn't used before.

SKmarioman said:
I actually just played the demo since it's also available at some stores in Australia as well.
Played the demo at EB Games.

I used some of the new items and there pretty cool. I nearly used the Super Horn for the spiny shell on Sunshine Airport but the the lightning hit me.

Also MOAR TV spots

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
Ulrich said:

Mario isn't white, he's Mushroom Kingdomian. Toad isn't white, he's fungal. King Boo, Dry Bowser, and Dry Bones are the only white characters, so yeah.

But really, go play as that goddammed Mii if you want dark-skinned humans so badly. Don't make racial diversity for the sake of racial diversity, especially in a fantasy kingdom filled with intriguing creatures.
wow you guys keep trying to come up with this bullshit logic

"dont make racial diversity for the sake of racial diversity, especially in a fantasy kingdom filled with intriguing creatures". ah yes, a fantasy kingdom where every character that resembles a human seems to be white. obviously it would be bad for them to force any other skin color in there. i mean, it just so happens that every single character they come up with is white! but that's not being forced, because it's natural and everyone in the real life is white :)

also please give me a real reason why it would be bad for the mario series to have characters of other skin colors?. i mean maybe in a society where people of color were well-represented in media we wouldn't have to force racial diversity, but the mere fact that we have to force racial diversity in an age where supposedly all races are equal seems kinda fishy to me.

honestly, the fact that a review just merely observed that there were no characters of color in the mario series and is getting attacked as if they were a witch spouting blasphemous statements is kinda sad. what's it to you that someone would like some representation in the media? what's the worst that can happen? nintendo will introduce a character of color, and then the whole game will be ruined because there's one non-white character?

I was reading a study the other day about how a game that featured a diverse cast of characters that broke down stereotypes started getting emails about how fans felt better about themselves playing the game. Hell, the game encouraged some suicidal fans to seek help. So yeah, if you're wondering why I think this is so important, I actually have a good reason.

And by the way, Mario is white. First of all, he comes from Brooklyn and is Italian. Second of all, his skin color is what is generally considered white by our society. If you think you're being clever because "haha his skin color isn't pure white", then no, you're just being obnoxious.

oh hi nabber i was expecting you

None of us are saying it would be bad to put a human of another race in Mario. We're just saying it's not as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

The Mario games are plenty diverse. There are humans (aka the only race of people), turtles, dinosaurs, mushrooms, primates, etc.

If you're still unsatisfied, there's this thing called "making a Mii". You can make a Mii that's black or white or brown or whatever. There. Problem solved.

Magikrazy said:
oh hi nabber i was expecting you

None of us are saying it would be bad to put a human of another race in Mario. We're just saying it's not as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

The Mario games are plenty diverse. There are humans (aka the only race of people), turtles, dinosaurs, mushrooms, primates, etc.

If you're still unsatisfied, there's this thing called "making a Mii". You can make a Mii that's black or white or brown or whatever. There. Problem solved.
I think you're missing my point; I'm not trying to say that Mairo Kart 8 is an awful game because it lacks diversity (though it is a problem); I'm saying the fact that people are making fun of the reviewer for pointing out that there is a lack of racial diversity is a big deal, because it's wrong.

While it's great that there are a number of species that you can play as, that doesn't really fix the problem. No one's complaining that you can't play as an imaginary species, because we've been able to do that for ages.

On launch date (or a bit after launch date), I will ask for $400 out of my bank account. Why? So I can finally buy a Wii U and Mario Kart 8. If that doesn't work, then I will completely list my reasons on why we should replace our Wii with a Wii U. I'm starting to list my reasons in my notes, just in case.

No-Face said:
Dry Troopa said:
Look at this article:
well, considering that we have a series with all kinds of fantastical magical creatures, it's pretty odd that after 30 years there's a pretty noticeable lack of any people of color at all

maybe there was one in some game but i certainly can't recall them
Super Mario Sunshine, Il Piantissimo

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:

I kind of wanted to use that one after reading those first few posts but hearing it from someone who isn't me is all the funnier.

Just got back from the GameStop demo event. Here are some details.

- There are 8 tracks available, being Mario Kart Stadium, Water Park, Sweet Sweet Canyon, Mario Circuit, Toad Harbor, Sunshine Airport, Electrodrome, and Cloudtop Cruise.

- Each track has 2 laps.

- After a race, you watch a MKTV highlight reel of it.

- All characters are unlocked, but only a few kart parts are available.

I got to play all 8 tracks, with 8 different characters. I also got to try out the new items, but strangely, the Potted Piranha Plant didn't show up once. I am kinda disappointed there were only 2 laps, but I still had a blast.

Nysic said:
Just got back from the GameStop demo event. Here are some details.

- There are 8 tracks available, being Mario Kart Stadium, Water Park, Sweet Sweet Canyon, Mario Circuit, Toad Harbor, Sunshine Airport, Electrodrome, and Cloudtop Cruise.

- Each track has 2 laps.

- After a race, you watch a MKTV highlight reel of it.

- All characters are unlocked, but only a few kart parts are available.

I got to play all 8 tracks, with 8 different characters. I also got to try out the new items, but strangely, the Potted Piranha Plant didn't show up once. I am kinda disappointed there were only 2 laps, but I still had a blast.
-It's 100cc
-You can accelerate/brake by right analog stick.
-(X)- look back

Also, I nearly used the Super Horn (I was saving it for the spiny shell) but the lightning hit me.

Back