Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Here's what I have to say...

I just recently came back from trying out the Mario Kart 8 demo, and I was quite fortunate that my local GameStop wasn't very busy. That gave me over an hour to try out the tracks and certain combinations.

The Grip stat is called "Traction" for the NTSC-U version of the game. I also tried out the Sport Bike and Jet Rider, and apparently, inside drifting has been trickier to handle than outside drifting. In fact, it seems that you're less likely to mess up with the outside drifting vehicles now. In other words, inside drifting may not be as helpful as in Mario Kart Wii, especially without the wheelie boosts.

In terms of the races, I was able to take 1st place most of the time, while my 2nd place finishes were mostly due to Spiny Shells; I never did finish lower than 2nd place. However, I was able to anticipate at least one Spiny Shell ahead of time, but this will come down to if you can check back on the GamePad enough times to see it coming. Some of the combos that I've used did prove to be rather promising as well.

Anyway, the demo gave me a chance to try out some things, and it seems that the game may prove to be a promising one once it's out in less than two weeks.

No-Face said:
Magikrazy said:
oh hi nabber i was expecting you

None of us are saying it would be bad to put a human of another race in Mario. We're just saying it's not as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

The Mario games are plenty diverse. There are humans (aka the only race of people), turtles, dinosaurs, mushrooms, primates, etc.

If you're still unsatisfied, there's this thing called "making a Mii". You can make a Mii that's black or white or brown or whatever. There. Problem solved.
I think you're missing my point; I'm not trying to say that Mairo Kart 8 is an awful game because it lacks diversity (though it is a problem); I'm saying the fact that people are making fun of the reviewer for pointing out that there is a lack of racial diversity is a big deal, because it's wrong.

While it's great that there are a number of species that you can play as, that doesn't really fix the problem. No one's complaining that you can't play as an imaginary species, because we've been able to do that for ages.

My problem is that the reviewer said 14 when 5 of those are just redundant with babies and 2 more are toads that the reviewer felt the need to include in "white". Mario and Luigi are Italian; Wario and Waluigi are arguably Italian; Daisy is from a kingdom that's heavily Chinese-inspired so there ya go with that. That leaves Peach and Rosalina. Peach is arguably within the same realm as Mario and Luigi, so that leaves Rosalina, and very easily could've been an oversight or just seen as a non-issue, seeing that this company is in Japan where the whole race thing isn't as much of a catered-to issue as it is in America. It's kinda like that gay thing in the Tomodachi whatever game; the creators are in Japan and the gay thing isn't as heavy of an issue as it is here, and gay marriage is illegal over there so that's the culture the game is based around. It was translated and stuff for America but there was an oversight with bringing it to a different culture. Yes, it'll be nice to have some more diversity in terms of races (further note, we're debating human races and this is a fantasy realm so things aren't always necessarily applicable but who knows someone of some level of non-whiteness could be somewhere), but, Mariokart 8 is definitely not the place to drag it out of.

I played the demo. Sometimes I feel like the game hates me, lol. I'm a bit annoyed that the X button is used to look back instead of one of those shoulder buttons. But I'm super happy you can spam the horn button with the item button! :D

I used my trust traction combo, Baby Luigi + Monster + Super Glider + Badwagon and it was a totally awesome experience. <3 Baby Luigi really. He's SOO cute when he does his trick animations. Also, his, "Go Weegee! Go Weegee!" when he's first was the best thing I ever heard.

I played this for 4 hours in the GameStop; luckily only one or two people were interested in it. I'm definitely going back to play that demo.

^That's actually hilarious

Time Paradoxes for life.

Anser said:
You guys need to watch this:

Truer words have never been spoken.
I like the starring part.
"Starring Bob Hoskins, Green Mario, Hannah Montana, Miley Cyrus, Fat Mario, Shrooms, a Snork, Business Kong, Ghost Rider, Reptar, Bow Wow, Lil' Bow Wow and The Time Paradoxes."

"If you suck at racing, there's always battle mode. Heh, heh, but lose."

Dry Troopa said:
"If you suck at racing, there's always battle mode. Heh, heh, but lose."

He said "balloons."

Baby Luigi said:
I played this for 4 hours in the GameStop; luckily only one or two people were interested in it. I'm definitely going back to play that demo.

4 hours? Dang. I only played once on each track, then came back later and did 5 more races.

But yeah, i'm also going back tomorrow.

I would go back to play it but I don't live close enough to any of the places that it is set up, I just conveniently was close enough to one yesterday which is how I got to play it, and I get the feeling by the time I get another chance the game will have already been released.

Morty said:
No-Face said:
Magikrazy said:
oh hi nabber i was expecting you

None of us are saying it would be bad to put a human of another race in Mario. We're just saying it's not as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

The Mario games are plenty diverse. There are humans (aka the only race of people), turtles, dinosaurs, mushrooms, primates, etc.

If you're still unsatisfied, there's this thing called "making a Mii". You can make a Mii that's black or white or brown or whatever. There. Problem solved.
I think you're missing my point; I'm not trying to say that Mairo Kart 8 is an awful game because it lacks diversity (though it is a problem); I'm saying the fact that people are making fun of the reviewer for pointing out that there is a lack of racial diversity is a big deal, because it's wrong.

While it's great that there are a number of species that you can play as, that doesn't really fix the problem. No one's complaining that you can't play as an imaginary species, because we've been able to do that for ages.

My problem is that the reviewer said 14 when 5 of those are just redundant with babies and 2 more are toads that the reviewer felt the need to include in "white". Mario and Luigi are Italian; Wario and Waluigi are arguably Italian; Daisy is from a kingdom that's heavily Chinese-inspired so there ya go with that. That leaves Peach and Rosalina. Peach is arguably within the same realm as Mario and Luigi, so that leaves Rosalina, and very easily could've been an oversight or just seen as a non-issue, seeing that this company is in Japan where the whole race thing isn't as much of a catered-to issue as it is in America. It's kinda like that gay thing in the Tomodachi whatever game; the creators are in Japan and the gay thing isn't as heavy of an issue as it is here, and gay marriage is illegal over there so that's the culture the game is based around. It was translated and stuff for America but there was an oversight with bringing it to a different culture. Yes, it'll be nice to have some more diversity in terms of races (further note, we're debating human races and this is a fantasy realm so things aren't always necessarily applicable but who knows someone of some level of non-whiteness could be somewhere), but, Mariokart 8 is definitely not the place to drag it out of.

^This.

And it's like not there is a lot of human characters in the Mario series. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Wario, their baby counterparts, Waluigi, Pauline, E. Gadd, Il Paintissimo, the Mario Golf human characters (which I think is more Camelot's doing than Nintendo's)...and then from there the list just continues to go more and more into cameo appearances and such.

I mean, compared to the Toads, Koopas, Goombas, Bloopers, Cheep-Cheeps, Bob-ombs, Koopalings, _ Bros. (Hammer, Fire, etc.), Yoshis, Birdos, Shy Guys, Lakitus, Spinies, Piranha Plants, etc., the human species in the Mushroom Kingdom is given little room to be diverse, especially since a majority of them are the same ones reappearing in each Mario game.

One of the main things was that most of the Human characters we see are in almost every Mario game, and some of them in all Mario games. It doesn't give a lot of room for new humans with a darker skin-tone to be introduced. I mean, Rosalina was the last one 7 years ago, and before that was Il Piantissimo about 12 years ago. And Il is definitely dark-skinned. Then E. Gadd in 2001, and then before that is where we begin to get a lot of the major characters we still see from LONG ago. (This is of course not counting the Camelot Humans and their baby versions who are literally them just as babies).

I do want more diversity in the Mario series, but I don't think that we are in the wrong for someone calling out Mario Kart 8 as disappointing because of a lack of diversity, since that could be said about any other Mario game. It's one thing to comment on and it, but to literally say it "so painfully fails" about it's diversity and an omission is going a little too far with the issue. I mean, why not bring up the fact that for the most part, everyone is straight or not openly-gay (we could argue the Yoshi-Birdo stuff all we want, but it's best to leave that out for this conversation)? Is it an omission that Nintendo has yet to make a gay couple, since they obviously ship Mario/Peach, Luigi/Daisy, Wario/Peach (one sided), Waluigi/Daisy (one-sided)?

I get where you're going at Nabber, but I don't think we nor the reviewer should be overanalyzing the diversity thing on this game.

Ulrich said:
Wario/Peach (one sided),

where did you get that from?
i mean, maybe bowser/peach (one sided), but i don't recall wario ever showing that he has a liking towards peach?

also neither of the two EBs where i live have the mk8 demo :(

Nysic said:
Baby Luigi said:

4 hours? Dang. I only played once on each track, then came back later and did 5 more races.

I played the demo at EB Games for about an hour and I played each track + 8 more races. I tried out the ATV and it balanced between karts and bikes.

Here are some photos.
Character Selection
2014+-+1

Demo tracks
2014+-+2

Mario Kart Stadium
2014+-+3

Starting line
2014+-+4

Mario Kart Stadium - anti-gravity
2014+-+5

Banana crazy
2014+-+6

Mario Circuit - anti-gravity
2014+-+7

Here comes the spiny shell
2014+-+8

Toad Harbour - anti-gravity
2014+-+9

Building up speed
2014+-+10

Super Horn
2014+-+11

Piranha Plant
2014+-+12

Customizing
2014+-+13

Sub Coaster
2014+-+14

Trying out the Quad Bike
2014+-+15

Also, I played as Lakitu, Bowser, Iggy, Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina.

Ulrich said:
And it's like not there is a lot of human characters in the Mario series. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Wario, their baby counterparts, Waluigi, Pauline, E. Gadd, Il Paintissimo, the Mario Golf human characters (which I think is more Camelot's doing than Nintendo's)...and then from there the list just continues to go more and more into cameo appearances and such.

I do want more diversity in the Mario series, but I don't think that we are in the wrong for someone calling out Mario Kart 8 as disappointing because of a lack of diversity, since that could be said about any other Mario game. It's one thing to comment on and it, but to literally say it "so painfully fails" about it's diversity and an omission is going a little too far with the issue.
I would simply regard racism issue as a need of international market. If Nintendo think this works, they'll introduce such kind of new characters. However, the rosters have been sucks for having a bad selection from existed characters, not from those who even never exist in official database. It's pretty inexplicable and doesn't look like a comment from a Mario fan.

Daisy was one of the characters that could get some good uses of cultural backgrounds instead of a similar appearance with Peach. For now we may only expect Nintendo to introduce some other human or human-like characters with more extraordinary looks. Rosalina is described to be "pale" so she's not considered. I guess Sprixies could use other skin colors.

Dry Troopa said:
Nysic said:
Baby Luigi said:

I played the demo at EB Games for about an hour and I played each track + 8 more races. I tried out the ATV and it balanced between karts and bikes.

Here are some photos.
Character Selection
2014+-+1

Demo tracks
2014+-+2

Mario Kart Stadium
2014+-+3

Starting line
2014+-+4

2014+-+5

Banana crazy
2014+-+6

2014+-+7

2014+-+8

2014+-+9

Building up speed
2014+-+10

Super Horn
2014+-+11

Piranha Plant
2014+-+12

Customizing
2014+-+13

Sub Coaster
2014+-+14

Trying out the Quad Bike
2014+-+15

Spoiler it. I don't really see why you needed to take pictures anyway, there's plenty of high quality images/videos on the internet about this game.

Crackin355 said:
Spoiler it. I don't really see why you needed to take pictures anyway, there's plenty of high quality images/videos on the internet about this game.

-EDITED l
l
V
Dry Troopa said:
Character Selection
2014+-+1

Demo tracks
2014+-+2

Mario Kart Stadium
2014+-+3

Starting line
2014+-+4

2014+-+5

Banana crazy
2014+-+6

2014+-+7

2014+-+8

2014+-+9

Building up speed
2014+-+10

Super Horn
2014+-+11

Piranha Plant
2014+-+12

Customizing
2014+-+13

Sub Coaster
2014+-+14

Trying out the Quad Bike
2014+-+15

I just noticed that Mii is in the roster.

Dry Troopa said:
Crackin355 said:

-EDITED l
l
V
Dry Troopa said:
Character Selection
2014+-+1

Demo tracks
2014+-+2

Mario Kart Stadium
2014+-+3

Starting line
2014+-+4

2014+-+5

Banana crazy
2014+-+6

2014+-+7

2014+-+8

2014+-+9

Building up speed
2014+-+10

Super Horn
2014+-+11

Piranha Plant
2014+-+12

Customizing
2014+-+13

Sub Coaster
2014+-+14

Trying out the Quad Bike
2014+-+15

And Lemmy's not.

SuperQueenChrysalis said:
Dry Troopa said:
Crackin355 said:

-EDITED l
l
V
Dry Troopa said:
Character Selection
2014+-+1

Demo tracks
2014+-+2

Mario Kart Stadium
2014+-+3

Starting line
2014+-+4

2014+-+5

Banana crazy
2014+-+6

2014+-+7

2014+-+8

2014+-+9

Building up speed
2014+-+10

Super Horn
2014+-+11

Piranha Plant
2014+-+12

Customizing
2014+-+13

Sub Coaster
2014+-+14

Trying out the Quad Bike
2014+-+15

And Lemmy's not.
So is Mario, Yoshi, Baby Mario and Bowser. They're on the left.

Crackin355 said:
SuperQueenChrysalis said:
Dry Troopa said:
Crackin355 said:

-EDITED l
l
V
Dry Troopa said:
Character Selection
2014+-+1

Demo tracks
2014+-+2

Mario Kart Stadium
2014+-+3

Starting line
2014+-+4

2014+-+5

Banana crazy
2014+-+6

2014+-+7

2014+-+8

2014+-+9

Building up speed
2014+-+10

Super Horn
2014+-+11

Piranha Plant
2014+-+12

Customizing
2014+-+13

Sub Coaster
2014+-+14

Trying out the Quad Bike
2014+-+15

And Lemmy's not.
So is Mario, Yoshi, Baby Mario and Bowser. They're on the left.
Camera on smartphone issues. I recorded it while I'm holding the gamepad with both of my hands.

Rainbow Road is kind of okay in terms of detail, but they should've add more anti-gravity sections like the one from the Smash Bros. trailer (18/12/13) which has more anti-gravity.

Dry Troopa said:
Rainbow Road is kind of okay in terms of detail, but they should've add more anti-gravity sections like the one from the Smash Bros. trailer (18/12/13) which has more anti-gravity.
The Rainbow Road from that trailer had literally no anti-gravity at all.

Nysic said:
Wait, Mii is playable in the demo? What? I'll have to try that today.
But which Mii is it? Is it an ugly Mii?
-
I don't have any GameStops near my house I have EB Games, and I'm sure that they don't have the demo.

Back