How could you improve a Mario game?

I think there should be a change in the final boss for most Mario games. Bowser is starting to get kinda boring...

Zeedief said:
I think there should be a change in the final boss for most Mario games. Bowser is starting to get kinda boring...

Bowser is fine, actually.

His boss fights suck. Too many giant Bowsers. If Bowser failed once, then he is truly insane doing the same thing over and expecting different results.

Staraptor said:
I'd like to see Geno and Mallow again. I don't understand why Square claimed copyright on characters they're never going to use again.
Also, how about some actual crossovers outside of Super Smash Bros and the Olympics?
All RPG characters are the same, as the staff have never made one of them return in other major scenes like Sticker Star this time. Only Fawful is regarded as a recurring one. I don't really see Geno a special case.
Boshi might fit in Yoshi series, other major characters have to deal with the staff.

Olympics was a deal between two companies, that means it's possible for a third party (Capcom, SE etc)

I don't hate crossovers, but in face of that giving other minor characters chances, I'd suggest some independant spinoffs for other Nintendo titles (eg, Zelda music games). I'd say that there should be new Mario spinoff titles if improving the series

Dorayaki said:
I don't hate crossovers, but in face of that giving other minor characters chances, I'd suggest some independant spinoffs for other Nintendo titles (eg, Zelda Party). I'd say that there should be new Mario spinoff titles if improving the series

Link hitting a dice block and getting his butt burnt by a dodongo? 0_o

Don't make New Super Mario Bros. games ever AGAIN.

And Zelda Party ¬¬............... Just NO.

Anser said:
Don't make New Super Mario Bros. games ever AGAIN.

There's nothing wrong with the games themselves, but the developers seriously need to start thinking if they want fans to get excited over New Super Mario Bros. series.

And after that mistake of a colon game called New Super Mario Bros. 2.....yeah I hope they listened.

There's nothing wrong with them.

It's just that the worlds and enemies are unoriginal, and fans are really starting to hate that, including me.

You'd think they'd make a Super Mario game based off of Baby Mario and Luigi.

Santa Mage said:

Having a game based off Luigi and Baby Mario is truly ridiculous

Having a game based off Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, however....

New Year Baby Luigi said:
Santa Mage said:

Having a game based off Luigi and Baby Mario is truly ridiculous

Having a game based off Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, however....
lol

I would sig that but I'd have to remove the Pyro comics

Similar to SM64DS, it'd be nice to have another game where Yoshi was playable without Mario riding on him and would it be to much to ask for him to get some more screentime as well? Compare to World to NSMBW, in SMW, Yoshi's egg wasn't available in every level, but you could still take him with you to any level you want except for the koopaling fortresses (and the ghost houses?). In NSMBW, Yoshi is only playable in the levels where his egg is available. Seriously and people say Luigi's the neglected character?

Also, how's about bringing back Wario and DK? They pretty much just appear in spin-offs these days.

Staraptor said:
Similar to SM64DS, it'd be nice to have another game where Yoshi was playable without Mario riding on him and would it be to much to ask for him to get some more screentime as well? Compare to World to NSMBW, in SMW, Yoshi's egg wasn't available in every level, but you could still take him with you to any level you want except for the koopaling fortresses (and the ghost houses?). In NSMBW, Yoshi is only playable in the levels where his egg is available. Seriously and people say Luigi's the neglected character?

Also, how's about bringing back Wario and DK? They pretty much just appear in spin-offs these days.

What the hell!? Yoshi has enough screentime! What about those characters who NEVER EVER appeared in the platforming games? What does Waluigi, Toadette, and company have to say about this? Yoshi is FAR from neglected! Hell, his appearance in Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii was mostly fanservice!

I meant compared to Mario and Luigi.

You can't really compare Yoshi to Waluigi and Toadette since they were created just so Wario and Toad could have partners in the spin-offs. Besides, Waluigi has (to my knowledge) been in every spin-off game except Mario Kart 7 and heck he even appears in Brawl as an Assist Trophy. Toadette could use some more appearances, but she was thrown a bone in Paper Mario 2 with her surprise tutorial cameos.

All the characters who appeared recently are FAR from neglected overall. We need to shine the spotlight on those poor, spin-off "exclusive" characters that never had a chance on appearing in the platforming games. Who cares about their original intent of their creation? Luigi was originally intended to be a Mario clone and a player 2, and look at him now. He's given his own identity. Why can't that happen to Waluigi, Toadette, Baby Mario, etc.? What's wrong with them? Putting them in more games would soften people's attitude towards their "rip-offy" nature. It would further develop their role and distinguish themselves from the original characters they got "ripped off" from. Nintendo should at least give them a cameo or something, but they've mostly gotten zip.

There's nothing wrong with having those spin-off exclusive characters in the mainstream games, but I still see a few problems with Waluigi.

they didn't put Wario or Waluigi in because their body shape would make it look horrible if they made them the same size as Mario/Luigi.

You said that reason was BS, and I agree with you about Wario gameplay wise, I disagree about Waluigi though, it'd be awkward seeing someone like him in small form.

Plotwise, it wouldn't work. Why would Mario and Luigi turn to Wario and Waluigi for help? Even if they agreed to help, what's to stop them from double crossing the Bros? Look at the ending of Super Sluggers. As such I don't really see Waluigi working out as a playable protagonist. However there is certainly potential for him to be in the mainstream games as an antagonist much like Wario in Super Mario Land 2, or Waluigi could be "the Luigi" in the Wario World/Ware games.

Staraptor said:
There's nothing wrong with having those spin-off exclusive characters in the mainstream games, but I still see a few problems with Waluigi.

they didn't put Wario or Waluigi in because their body shape would make it look horrible if they made them the same size as Mario/Luigi.

You said that reason was BS, and I agree with you about Wario gameplay wise, I disagree about Waluigi though, it'd be awkward seeing someone like him in small form.

Plotwise, it wouldn't work. Why would Mario and Luigi turn to Wario and Waluigi for help? Even if they agreed to help, what's to stop them from double crossing the Bros? Look at the ending of Super Sluggers. As such I don't really see Waluigi working out as a playable protagonist. However there is certainly potential for him to be in the mainstream games as an antagonist much like Wario in Super Mario Land 2, or Waluigi could be "the Luigi" in the Wario World/Ware games.
I thought Waluigi was made for Wario Land, not NSMB formula. Toadette can at least be an NPC in NSMB, regardless of those two generic toad players. The thing really matters is that they have rational connections with the story they fit in.

I don't think there should be excuses to reject any other character to be in mainstream games, or Miyamoto should have made controls to these things.

Staraptor said:

And it would work, since there barely is a coherent plot in the first place. Any sort of argument for a plot or motivation is instantly rendered moot if there isn't a coherent plot anyway.

Like BLOF said, Mario games don't have any plot to begin with. I welcome any plot that isn't Princess Peach's kidnapping with open arms.

Staraptor said:
Plotwise, it wouldn't work. Why would Mario and Luigi turn to Wario and Waluigi for help? Even if they agreed to help, what's to stop them from double crossing the Bros?

As much of a cliche it is, there could always be this "greater threat" that they need to team up for. They don't even have to be working together knowingly, just like how Bowser was helping Mario and Luigi not knowing they were in his body and all three helped defeat Fawful.

And I don't know about anybody else, but I'd rather see Wario and Waluigi as playable characters rather than two generic Toads.

Chilly said:
And I don't know about anybody else, but I'd rather see Wario and Waluigi as playable characters rather than two generic Toads.

As much of a cliche it is, there could always be this "greater threat" that they need to team up for. They don't even have to be working together knowingly, just like how Bowser was helping Mario and Luigi not knowing they were in his body and all three helped defeat Fawful.
Again, as said many times Wario bros are bound with Wario games before NSMB. Toad should be a more direct answer I think.

It seems that not only Peach the heroine/damsel, but also Bowser shows to appear in almost all games even when he's not the major boss or neither the assistant, like The Thousand-Year Door.

Does it really matter? They have great potential anyway and, knowing Nintendo, they simply threw away the potential

Well, Toadette had a very small cameo during the beginning of Super Mario Galaxy... Only a picture of her back, though.

I would like three things:

-A mystery game where a "crime" has been committed and you have to discover the victim, the attacker, the weapon the attack was made with and the place where it was made. Yes, exactly like the "Clue" board game. Wouldn't it be interesting to give the Mario series a little darker plot? Wouldn't it be interesting to find out who the guilty of the robbery/kidnapping/attacking/whatever in Peach's Castle, Delfino Plaza or the Comet Observatory was? I'm not talking about murders, because Mario is a franchise for kids, but still, it'd be something to look forward to, I think. Just imagine... "The victim was Toad, he was attacked with a Bob-Omb, in Peach's Castle's kitchen and the attacker was Wario!". Cool, huh?

-A 3D platform game like Banjo-Tooie where you can play as Mario, Luigi, Peach and Daisy, each of them having different abilities and where you would have to switch between characters to achieve different things, kind of like Donkey Kong 64.

-A very dark, adult-oriented, raunchy story-ed but hilarious and cool game a la Conker's Bad Fur Day starring Wario and Waluigi. Those types of games simply fit them, and they would manage to bring the adult audience to pay attention to Mario and company once again. This is far away from happening, though.

Can you imagine Waluigi drunk? X'D

^Mario will never be as dark as your first and last suggestions. It is, after all, supposed to be a series directed at all ages.

less :luigi: in my :mario: games heh heh heh just kidding actually a new :dk: game with :mario: but real 3D for my 3D glasses so i feel like the barrels are coming out of my screen

I would like to see the return of enemies and bosses from Super Mario World, the Yoshi series, and the U.S.A. version of Super Mario Bros. 2 (where you can actually pick up the enemies and throw them). I would also like to see Nintendo use the Koopalings to their full potential (Please, give each of them his or her own attack pattern as apposed to giving them New Super Mario Bros. Wii styled battles or recycling their boss battles in any other way.) Speaking of bosses, I would like to see new original bosses that aren't Koopas in the main series. (I'm thinking more along the lines of something like a Shy Guy boss.) I would also like to see better boss defeat animations such as the boss exploding or vanishing epicly (Super Mario Galaxy, anyone?). They should also bring back the Yoshi's Island castle theme, and I mean the Super Nintendo version, not the DS version. Last but not least, I want to see a bunch of classic enemies and bosses who have not appeared in a 3d game make their debut in a 3d game.

I suggest that Bowser get his own spinoff, where he leads his Koopa Kingdom against the same new villain created for the Mario games. Only it would be a darker, violent, badass action game that is the antithesis of the Mario games, and not comical like the Wario games. Something that older, action-game-loving people could enjoy. Shigeru Miyamoto may hate violence in games, but there must be someone at Nintendo that can adapt the Wii U to a more possibly M-Rated game like this. I think it's important to give Bowser a total badass edge to be a potentially M-Rated game, even having become a permanent ally. We could even have enemies that can shoot up towards the giant Bowser and hurt his health points.

Back