How could you improve a Mario game?

Rocket J. Squirrel said:
I think that they should get rid of all eyes and smiles on inanimate objects (except for the star).

....I dont think that'd matter much.

Brony the 45th Nazgul of the great Sith Lords said:
Anser said:
@Chilly You said it yourself many times, too "childish". I'd rather have them have neutral gestures like the ones they had in the earlier days. Have you wondered why most adult gamers have turned their backs on Mario games? Even players who used to play Mario games in their young days? Yes, it's because the games have become way too childish. Mario has slowly become a joke in the world of videogames (not the character, I'm referring to his games) and many players outside the kids are ignoring him. Hell, I have even heard KIDS say that Mario games are ridiculous. =/ I'm not saying this is all because of the characters' poses, but it sure is part of the feeling the games transmit.

I don't care if it is childish,it's still a fun series to play.

Cornelius Van Wyck Lawrence said:
Rocket J. Squirrel said:
I think that they should get rid of all eyes and smiles on inanimate objects (except for the star).
yep everytime I play smw i'm like this game is great wait does that mountain have eyes? man fuck this game it's terrible mountains having eyes bullshit
You could say that the Hills have Eyes

GalacticPetey said:
Cornelius Van Wyck Lawrence said:
Rocket J. Squirrel said:
yep everytime I play smw i'm like this game is great wait does that mountain have eyes? man fuck this game it's terrible mountains having eyes bullshit
You could say that the Hills have Eyes
get the fuck out of here

Bubble Man said:
If by "girly poses", you mean Luigi's lesbian pose in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, that was most likely an accident. If not, I'd like to see some other examples.

I honestly have no idea what you are even attempting to refer to with this.

Anser said:
@Chilly You said it yourself many times, too "childish". I'd rather have them have neutral gestures like the ones they had in the earlier days. Have you wondered why most adult gamers have turned their backs on Mario games? Even players who used to play Mario games in their young days? Yes, it's because the games have become way too childish. Mario has slowly become a joke in the world of videogames (not the character, I'm referring to his games) and many players outside the kids are ignoring him. Hell, I have even heard KIDS say that Mario games are ridiculous. =/ I'm not saying this is all because of the characters' poses, but it sure is part of the feeling the games transmit.

I dont see anything wrong with mario having these fanciful additions. They are what makes mario mario.
This isnt a dark gritty series, it's a fanciful romp in a colorful world. Should they change all the mario graphics so that they are in a dark, post apocalyptic wasteland, with mutated turtles and mushrooms as enemies, while they fight the most mutated turtle of them all?

No. That isnt mario, thats not what people think of when they pick up a mario game. There are plenty of dark gritty games out there, if thats what you want. No one says you have to limit yourself to mario products, or even nintendo products.

Mario isnt about being dark and gritty, it's about bringing out the child in us.

I say give Bowser a break and let in some other villains (I want Fawful, but that is just my bias)
Doesn't matter if they died or not, Bowser has died countless times and still returns.

I agree. Return Wart or Tatanga, or maybe even an original villain

Oh cool this got bumped

Improving a Mario game? Well..................I suppose putting in Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, DK, and Toadette in the main Mario game series would be a good start because I've seen WAY too many people complain about the fact that these characters have been included in pretty much every game that's not in the main series.

That's because that is a legit complaint that Nintendo developers really love to ignore

LuckySeven said:
Improving a Mario game? Well..................I suppose putting in Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, DK, and Toadette in the main Mario game series would be a good start because I've seen WAY too many people complain about the fact that these characters have been included in pretty much every game that's not in the main series.

I really fail to see how simply adding a few more characters would improve the main games. It's not like they would do anything special to magically improve the storytelling and, and putting DK in a main Mario platform game just seems out of place.

The only major difference would probably be with Wario and Waluigi, which could be playable characters to (as EVERYONE'S been suggesting) replace the two Toads, which if they did they would have to build the game to accommodate four characters with different playstyles.

Toa 95 said:
LuckySeven said:

I really fail to see how simply adding a few more characters would improve the main games. It's not like they would do anything special to magically improve the storytelling and, and putting DK in a main Mario platform game just seems out of place.

The only major difference would probably be with Wario and Waluigi, which could be playable characters to (as EVERYONE'S been suggesting) replace the two Toads, which if they did they would have to build the game to accommodate four characters with different playstyles.
Those characters could be playable, instead of the typical 'control Mario for the entire game, and sometimes Luigi too if Nintendo decides to include him'. It would be a nice change for once.

Adding more characters can indirectly cause a change in gameplay or story. Just look at Super Mario Bros. 2, which I consider the best single player 2D Mario platformer in the series, mainly because of the ability to play as different characters with different abilities and a different game that has been executed correctly. Granted, merely adding in extra characters to something like New Super Mario Bros. won't magically get the game 10/10, but having the ability to make options is always a plus and rarely a downside.

The bottom line is, adding more characters isn't fundamental to a good game, but, it is a form of polish that can make a great game even better. Plus, adding characters develops them too. Luigi is a prime example of such a case. Luigi was created merely to be a green palette swap of Mario just to serve as player 2. Now, he's gotten his own identity. No one criticizes Luigi of being a Mario rip-off anymore.

And Waluigi and Wario don't have that much different playstyles. They can be playable in the Mario Party games without any ill effects, the most prominent cases being the 2D platforming minigames such as StratosFEAR! or for a 3D platforming that looks like 2D, Skyjinks

Baby Luigi said:
Adding more characters can indirectly cause a change in gameplay or story. Just look at Super Mario Bros. 2, which I consider the best single player 2D Mario platformer in the series, mainly because of the ability to play as different characters with different abilities and a different game that has been executed correctly. Granted, merely adding in extra characters to something like New Super Mario Bros. won't magically get the game 10/10, but having the ability to make options is always a plus and rarely a downside.

The bottom line is, adding more characters isn't fundamental to a good game, but, it is a form of polish that can make a great game even better. Plus, adding characters develops them too. Luigi is a prime example of such a case. Luigi was created merely to be a green palette swap of Mario just to serve as player 2. Now, he's gotten his own identity. No one criticizes Luigi of being a Mario rip-off anymore.

And Waluigi and Wario don't have that much different playstyles. They can be playable in the Mario Party games without any ill effects, the most prominent cases being the 2D platforming minigames such as StratosFEAR! or for a 3D platforming that looks like 2D, Skyjinks

Yeah, I can agree with that. But Mario Party is a series of games that are meant to be nonsensical. Waluigi is about twice as tall as Mario is, and is lankier than any of the other characters. Wario is shorter, bulkier, and (I probably am wrong on this, but...) slower than Mario is, despite his athleticism as seen in spin-off titles, but it simply doesn't make sense for him to be able to jump just as high as Mario would. It would work in a 3D platformer (DK64 and SM64DS, for example), but in 2D? Plus, in Super Mario Bros. 2, you only play as one character at a time, whereas in more recent games you have four characters on the same screen interacting at the same time. Yes in Mario 2 you don't have any trouble going through the levels as any of the characters, but they would have to build each level to accommodate all the characters playing at the same time, and having four characters that play entirely differently doesn't make that easy. Not to mention that having four characters that play entirely differently on the same screen and in a platforming game to boot just screams chaos; it already is with having four co-op in general. But I can agree that being able to play as more than just Mario and sometimes Luigi would be nice.

And simply adding a character to a game doesn't make them any different than what they already were unless something is done that does build them as a character. Mario's been thrown into game after game and yet he hardly even has a personality. In addition, one of Luigi's most well-known and apparent personality traits is his cowardice, which was only truly expressed in non-game media before Luigi's Mansion, in which the developers decided to truly have him express how much of a coward he really is. Not to mention that the main Mario games aren't known for brilliantly thought-out and paced stories or well-developed characters in the first place...

But at this point, I feel like I'm trying too hard to make a counterargument, like I suddenly feel compelled that I have to, and that I'm actually typing a wall of nonsense...

Why have I not seen this thread?

I'll say my biggest one right now.

Leave each sub-category of Mario (Mario Sports, Paper Mario, Mario Party) alone and don't try to merge all of them together, or stop trying to base them off of NSMB games!

Xerneas said:
Why have I not seen this thread? I'll say my biggest one right now.

Leave each sub-category of Mario (Mario Sports, Paper Mario, Mario Party) alone and don't try to merge all of them together, or stop trying to base them off of NSMB games!
The biggest issue is that all Mario games share the same world and story, the reason why they're asked to be merged more together.

If boundaries are necessary, Miyamoto and other core staff should have forbidden spinoff and RPG games to create things beside SMB world. Or simply make more SMB things used in spinoffs, like more Koopalings and Wart.

They didn't, so they have to pay.

Ok now the biggest issue I see with Nintendo games in general, is that lately, they're making things too "family friendly", and so the things that everyone loves are getting thrown out the window, and replacing it with crappy things.
I want things to be fresh, but not have the fundamentals changed drastically.

Also, I think for once they should stop overfocusing on Mario and try to work on other series.

Anser said:
Fire Miyamoto. Changes will show immediately.
No! That would be a really bad idea!

It would be cool if they gave other characters their own games. I want to see bowser in his own "actual game by himself" and actually as the antagonist. I also would like to see Toad in his own game too.

chillv said:
It would be cool if they gave other characters their own games. I want to see bowser in his own "actual game by himself" and actually as the antagonist. I also would like to see Toad in his own game too.
This idea is okay, but not necessary. First, we're discussing how to make normal Mario games better, not to add new games.
Second, it's hard to make a totally idependent game for those characters who have shown in major games. Super Peach and M&L were the examples.

Dorayaki said:
chillv said:
This idea is okay, but not necessary. First, we're discussing how to make normal Mario games better, not to add new games.
Second, it's hard to make a totally idependent game for those characters who have shown in major games. Super Peach and M&L were the examples.
Coming from the person who has New Super Toad Bros. U on their signature. (-___-)

chillv said:
Dorayaki said:
chillv said:
Coming from the person who has New Super Toad Bros. U on their signature. (-___-)
Nope. The picture is a Super Luigi U thing. I mean nobody said one game can focus on only one character.

Back