How could you improve a Mario game?

Yoshidude99 said:
I agree with this plus at the start of Bowser's Inside Story Peach literally threw Bowser out of her castle so why couldn't she do something like that all the time?
That time around, the only reason she was able to do that, was because of Starlow's powers.

Gummy said:
(except maybe a clearing up of the Koopa family and for there to be a visible difference between Kamek and other Magikoopas; that always bugged me).
In Super Princess Peach, Kamek was given a purple robe in order to make it easier to tell him part from the other Magikoopas. For some reason, they've never bothered to use it again after that game.

Solar Blaze said:
As a matter of fact, it really makes no sense how Peach could even continue getting herself kidnapped all the time like this, since she's already proven that she's perfectly capable of defending herself. She was able to fight against the Smithy Gang, which are literally walking weapons of mass destruction, she was able to fight against Count Bleck and his army, and even Bowser and the Koopa Troop in Super Princess Peach, so how is it that she's become so powerless against them again?

The thing is, Peach was never alone in SMRPG or SPM and she's not the ideal character for offensive purposes anyway.

As for SPP, well, her main method of attack was a sentient parasol that could eat enemies, something her regular parasol can't do. And of course there's also the vibe powers which never returned, so that could say something about Peach's lack of powers.

It would be nice if games started having other games included for free on them like Mario Bros is on most of the GBA games.

Staraptor said:
The thing is, Peach was never alone in SMRPG or SPM and she's not the ideal character for offensive purposes anyway.
She is once the frying pan is equipped.

Also, what on earth happened to Perry the Parasol? Perry could've been a weapon for Peach nowadays. Also I think Peach should still have the ability to channel her energy into 1 of her 4 vibes. :p

Maybe he resumed his original form?

About the old-fashioned story formula, I myself care more about the bugs like Peach's other friends staying out.

Despite the question if Peach is really strong enough, the problem is that the staff seem to make Peach a necessary heroine in each Mario mainstream game, just like making Bowser the forever boss. If she's not captured, it could also turns out something like Mario Land where she has no appearances at all. So the point is how to make Peach more important and appear in every game. Do the staff think she can actively join Mario bros' every adventure (playable or not)?

Timmy said:
Also, what on earth happened to Perry the Parasol? Perry could've been a weapon for Peach nowadays. Also I think Peach should still have the ability to channel her energy into 1 of her 4 vibes. :p
Perry seems to be come a character like Kersti this time, who became their friend and fighting partner in that game, but doesn't mean to be a main character even though they didn't leave.

The story is the least of the series' problems.

Gummy said:
More level diversity (getting tired of the 2D games always having the same worlds), more boss diversity (even this Koopaling fan wants more and different boss fights)
Both of these are the major problems, imo. I'm sick and tired of every game having the same theme. I'm fine with the first world being a grassland. However, why can't they just mix it up a bit, or better yet, utilize new themes. I would love to see a factory level or a space-themed level in Mario again. But nope, we get deserts, water, ice, forest, mountain, sky, and lava in pretty much this order for the umpteenth time. Let's look at two different platformers: Sonic and Kirby. You don't see them re-using the same world themes over and over. Why can't Mario do the same? I'm not saying to get rid of the themes all together, but mixing it up wouldn't kill the series.

Also the bosses are bland. Seriously, I'm tired of the Koopalings. I was cool with them returning in NSMBW and I even tolerated it when they returned in NSMB2. But seriously, did they really need to appear again two months later in NSMBU? They're boss fight is the same tedious task. Jump, dodge shell roll, and repeat.

Solar Blaze said:
As a matter of fact, it really makes no sense how Peach could even continue getting herself kidnapped all the time like this, since she's already proven that she's perfectly capable of defending herself. She was able to fight against the Smithy Gang, which are literally walking weapons of mass destruction, she was able to fight against Count Bleck and his army, and even Bowser and the Koopa Troop in Super Princess Peach, so how is it that she's become so powerless against them again?

^this should help

Some mainstream villains besides Bowser would be nice.

Wario's been reduced to spin-offs.
Wart and Tatanga weren't seen after their first games.
K. Rool's a DK character, and he hasn't been seen in a long time.
King Boo's only the main villain in Luigi's Mansion, otherwise, he's just a boss or a spin-off.
The RPG villains are restricted to well...RPGs and most of them died anyway.
And we haven't seen anyone new in a while.

Staraptor said:

Wart and Tatanga weren't seen after their first games.
K. Rool's a DK character, and he hasn't been seen in a long time.
King Boo's only the main villain in Luigi's Mansion, otherwise, he's just a boss or a spin-off.
The RPG villains are restricted to well...RPGs and most of them died anyway.
And we haven't seen anyone new in a while.
Yeah, a new character would be nice. And older characters such as K. Rool and Wart should be brought back.

New level motifs are something that the Mario franchise needs more than just about anything. Sure, the levels are well-designed and all that, but they're pretty stale at this point.

snowy/icy worlds stay because snowy/icy worlds are the best though

Staraptor said:

I'd be totally okay with Wario (and Waluigi!) being the main antagonist(s) for a few games as long as the Wario Land and WarioWare franchises continue as well.

'3Klaus said:
snowy/icy worlds stay because snowy/icy worlds are the best though
Yeah...

'3Klaus said:
New level motifs are something that the Mario franchise needs more than just about anything. Sure, the levels are well-designed and all that, but they're pretty stale at this point.
Yes. While I don't care too much for Haunted/Spooky themes, Nintendo ought to use that for an entire world rather than just mere ghost houses or Luigi's Mansion. Also, taking into account what Game Freak said about Kirby levels mixing it up, uh, look at Kirby 64, Squeak Squad, and Return to Dreamland, we had a grass, desert, water, lava, ice and sky in those games as well (I'm not entirely sure about sky in SS, but still...)

Also. how about being more flexible in the levels who can go to? I'm fine with completing the worlds in a certain order, but it'd be more fun if we could choose the levels within the world in any order we choose, kind of like the stage select in Mega Man. (That's one thing Sticker Star did right, IMO. Same thing should apply for the Pokemon Gym Leaders, I might've actually picked the fire starters if the first gym leaders in Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh didn't specialize in rock types.)

'3Klaus said:
Staraptor said:

I'd be totally okay with Wario (and Waluigi!) being the main antagonist(s) for a few games as long as the Wario Land and WarioWare franchises continue as well.

I know I said I wanted main villains besides Bowser, but at this point, I'd settle for them just being bosses if it means seeing them outside the spin-offs.

Staraptor said:
Also, taking into account what Game Freak said about Kirby levels mixing it up, uh, look at Kirby 64, Squeak Squad, and Return to Dreamland, we had a grass, desert, water, lava, ice and sky in those games as well (I'm not entirely sure about sky in SS, but still...)

Yeah they did, but those levels weren't the only types in the series. Return to Dream Land also had a factory world, Squeak Squad had a space world, and Kirby 64 had a dark world. Three things that aren't in Mario games. And besides, the grass, desert, water levels etc didn't use the same music and they didn't look the same either. You're a fool if you try to tell me that K64's desert looks like Return to Dream Land's desert or if you tell me that KEY's Space World looks like Squeak Squad's space world. Kirby Mass Attack is another example of the Kirby series' levels having a huge variety of themes. There were the basic 6 you mentioned, as well as space, graveyards, heck, there was a level that was essentially a playhouse.

Yeah, I said that Kirby and Sonic don't reuse themes, and that was kind of a lie, but they at least make an effort to make them different and enjoyable while Mario just keeps on exploring same old same old. The deserts in the latest three New Super Mario games look similar. Don't even get me started on the rehashed music though. There's a difference between rehashing and a homage.

Okay, you have a point there (it seems even Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi have fallen victim to that), but wouldn't the Airships count as factory levels? There are Bob-Ombs, Bullet Bills, flamethrowers, Mecha-Koopas, and bolt lifts, there aren't any factory worlds, but at least there are some levels.

Also, both factories and space are featured in Galaxy and to a lesser extent, Mario Party. I know you're just talking about the 2D games, but still(I need to stop saying that).

What I find odd about the NSMB games is the fact that there's really no reason to play as Luigi. Unlike in SMB2, SPM, and SMW(?), and Galaxy, where Luigi has some strengths and weaknesses Mario doesn't, Luigi is exactly the same as Mario in the NSMB games, as such, the only reason to play as Luigi is just preference.

Staraptor said:
Okay, you have a point there (it seems even Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi have fallen victim to that), but wouldn't the Airships count as factory levels? There are Bob-Ombs, Bullet Bills, flamethrowers, Mecha-Koopas, and bolt lifts, there aren't any factory worlds, but at least there are some levels.

Also, both factories and space are featured in Galaxy and to a lesser extent, Mario Party. I know you're just talking about the 2D games, but still(I need to stop saying that).

What I find odd about the NSMB games is the fact that there's really no reason to play as Luigi. Unlike in SMB2, SPM, and SMW(?), and Galaxy, where Luigi has some strengths and weaknesses Mario doesn't, Luigi is exactly the same as Mario in the NSMB games, as such, the only reason to play as Luigi is just preference.

About NSMB games and Luigi, they explained when NSMBWii was coming out, that they didn't want anyone to have advantages over another during multiplayer, which was also the reason that they didn't put Wario or Waluigi in because their body shape would make it look horrible if they made them the same size as Mario/Luigi. They managed to make Toads their size because of the mushroom head though.

I thought they wouldn't be able to get the Toads to be the same size as M & L, but they seemed to have managed to, even though the Toad species are inevitably shorter in all other appearances.

6-5nsmbwii.png

It's true they changed the sizes of the Toads. I think it's more or less them being a tad lazy. They already have a Toad model so slap some new colors on there and you got two new characters!

They should make Yoshi in Super Circuit medium sized.

I mean, really, he was a LIGHT character.

Yeah, in Super Circuit, Yoshi had a two star rating of weight, while Princess Peach and Toad had only one.

Also, think about Wiggler getting hit with an item in 7.

Why the heck did they add that?

Roserade said:
Also, think about Wiggler getting hit with an item in 7.

Why the heck did they add that?

What? you mean the sweet little animation where he gets pissed?

That was a good thing IMO, he gets angry when he's hit in every other game, so its a nice little detail.

But then it doesn't appear when he's in midair.

WHAT?

I still don't see the problem here. You asked why they added it, and now its why it doesn't happen all the time. I don't know what was going through their mind since i'm not them but the animation doesn't break or fix the entire game. Just a nice little detail they put in.

Christmas Crackin355 said:
About NSMB games and Luigi, they explained when NSMBWii was coming out, that they didn't want anyone to have advantages over another during multiplayer, which was also the reason that they didn't put Wario or Waluigi in because their body shape would make it look horrible if they made them the same size as Mario/Luigi. They managed to make Toads their size because of the mushroom head though.

Those reasons for not including Waluigi and Wario is completely BS

just saying

Back