Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Not going to deingrate you, mostly curious, but what led you to despise the music? The hype surrounding it? Which is fair. I'm not a fan of Gusty Garden myself, I strongly prefer Melty Molten.

Everyone touts Gusty Garden as "the best Mario song ever" when it just blends into every other orchestrated song. Objectively it's not horrible, but it's just so overhyped that it's made me hate it a lot.

Yeah see that's what I felt with jump up, feels like everyone was blasting a song that I thought was mediocre at best through my ears because WOAH GUYS LISTEN VOCALS IN MARO GAME

I like Gusty Garden because though it's orchestrated and might sound similar-ish to other such themes the thing I pay attention to first is melody. After that I see how the melody sounds when performed by the given set of instruments. Just so happens that I do in fact like the result, and having the melody very well printed in my head somewhere I know how to distinguish it. This isn't meant to dissuade you or anything, just offering a bit of insight

See, I agree with that statement but I also feel like SMB hasn't aged in the way SM64 has.

Certainly, the later 2D Mario games have surpassed what SMB has done, but whenever I go back and play SMB, I don't have that feeling of like 'This aspect of the game is frustrating and dated nowadays'.

Contrast to Super Mario 64 where, while I still think Mario's controls are top notch even all these years later, my enjoyment of the N64 original is marred by 'Why is the goddamn camera so awful please stop this is the worst part of the game'.
I think the 2D equivalent to SM64 in that sense is either SMB3 or SMW depending on who you ask. Maybe both.

I only played the snes version of smb3 so idk if I'm the right person to ask but I thought it played nicely, enough to not feel dated at least, compared to smw which inherently has some slight additional jank from all the new shit I'd guess. But neither I felt were as dated as sm64 for sure, nor do I believe there really is a "2D equivalent". They're kinda just their own thing

I don't really like either. I dislike Jump Up, Superstar because I guess I just don't like music with lyrics. And trust me, I gave it a chance. I played on the New Donk City stage in Smash Ultimate with this song playing, and the match lasted around 10 minutes. I really did not like it, and I had to immediately turn it off in the My Music settings.

Gusty Garden Galaxy is also annoying because it gets praised so much. I hate that they remixed it for that one autoscroll level in Super Mario 3D World (the one where all the platforms are shaped like hexagons). And then you had to play that level again in World Flower, and then Champion's Road also used the same music. Ugh.

i like both of them.not my favorites in either soundtracks but i get prety excited when they come on my playlist (that ive barely been listening to for months whoops
i dont think i dislike any songs in these soundtracks. at worst theyre forgettable

Imo jump up superstar deserves its reputation but gusty garden galaxy is way overrated
This, Gusty Garden Galaxy might not even make my top third for Super Mario Galaxy music

Break Free (Lead the Way) I generally find an underwhelming song, it really sounds like the main singer is singing it in her sleep. It needs far more energy for it to work.

I just don't like music with lyrics.

I mean I was there once, and the only reason I disliked "music with lyrics" is that it seemed to be the popular thing to like while instrumentals get overlooked, but I found out music with lyrics is just as good as instrumentals if you know what you're looking for.

I don't think either of those are bad songs but they still can't hold a candle to The World Ends With You soundtrack, which is entirely composed of songs with lyrics.

When playing SMW I usually prefer to be off Yoshi than on him.

Break Free (Lead the Way) I generally find an underwhelming song, it really sounds like the main singer is singing it in her sleep. It needs far more energy for it to work.

honestly yeah! that's why I love this cover, it gives much needed oomph

Ever since Nintendo discovered brass instruments, they seem obsessed, and now a lot of songs just aren't as great because they keep saying YA LIKE JAZZ???

My main gripe is against the GBA tracks in Mario Kart 8 in this regard. Especially the almost unrecognizable circuit theme. Like, I can't tell what song it is until like 20 seconds in.

My main gripe is against the GBA tracks in Mario Kart 8 in this regard. Especially the almost unrecognizable circuit theme. Like, I can't tell what song it is until like 20 seconds in.

The Cheese Land music in MK8 is pretty good but I'm really glad they put Sky Garden in DS. It's easily one of my favorite songs on that soundtrack and I hope they don't fuck it up and turn it into a generic jazz remix. I've never actually played Super Circuit but I have a lot of nostalgia for Sky Garden.

While we're on the subject of classic tracks being ruined, I really don't like Tick Tock Clock in MK8. The music is overproduced and all the actual obstacles were taken out so it just feels boring now.

They put in jazz music because jazz is an awesome genre and I think they need to dabble in more genres it has as well as diversifying instrument usage, such as using saxophones (which is not a brass instrument but a woodwind), keyboards, pianos, trombones, tubas, flutes, etc.

I don't like Tick Tock Clocks aesthetics either, because part of the charm it has is looking like it came from Super Mario 64 and they cleansed that out. It's the same issue I have with 8 Deluxes rendition of Luigis Mansion really they got rid of all of the textures and designs from the game and turned it into a generic mansion, plus that music it uses just blows

Not only are the aesthetics and song less interesting, but they took out all the challenge, too. The clock hands are ramps now, the pendulum is just a glorified wall instead of something that wipes you out, and the gears are pretty meaningless because you can just fly over most of them.

Also, I feel like I should clarify why I don't like the song besides just that it's orchestrated. The original song for Tick Tock Clock in Mario Kart DS has this almost mechanical feeling to it, like something that could be made with the inside of a clock. The first few notes almost sound like you just recorded a ticking clock. You lose a lot of that charm and interest when you have this big, grand orchestrated remix and it just doesn't fit with the theme as well.

Nah the way to play Mario RPGs is to blast through all dialogue and story bits and just play the game.

Oh my villainous agenda doesn't stop there.
Sight-seeing is a top priority for all genre of games with detailed scenery. Explore every inch and cranny at every camera angle, honor the artists!
Stroll lap 1 in MK8D, the coms are easy enough.

Back