Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Once the novelty wears off you realize that all they did was just make the plot a lot more boring.

Supersaga's main twist still makes so little sense to me.

I wouldn't say it doesn't make any sense, I just think it was a dumb plot point.

I feel bad for Smithy. He could've made for a really good villain had he not appeared for a total of 2 minutes. A serious king who treats his minions with respect yet has rage problems, with the occasional hard to control fury outbursts when his plans fail.

When was he ever shown treating his minions with respect? They were all literally disposable.

You see him disrespecting the hell out of them when he goes furious after the first fight but before that he did not seem so bad. Just working on more minions with his best and only friend the smelter lol. All of his minions were doing their work in the factory and the higher ups loved him.

But yeah ok fine I did forget how the factory's director said he makes those who oppose him be dealt with meltdown.

Last edited:
It's still a factory. Wait oops did I kill some minions? No biggie, Imma make some more!

Yeah I never got the impression he cared about his soldiers. I mean he spent the whole game literally hammering them out.

I mean he hammered them when he was making them but after that I only saw him hammer them when he got pissed at both losing the first fight and at the end where he lost everything.

Doesn't mean he cared. He just replaces any of em that get wrecked without a second thought.

I keep forgetting Smithy exists since he has almost zero role in the game aside from being the big bad and isn't seen until the last minute, which is a shame since he has a really cool design imo

I haven't played SMRPG myself but any villain that doesn't show up at any point until the final boss doesn't impress me. That said the Shadow Queen was still a very impressive villain despite her short screen time so idk

She was just your typical evil demon darkness monster.

Fight was fun though.

He's got a hammer and builds weapons and wants to take over the world.

Fight was fun though.

He's got a hammer and builds weapons and wants to take over the world.

Fight was fun though.

It's great. His and Culex's were the only real challenge (at least without Peach lol). Every other fight I just couldn't get a game over, which made the game last short. The game would've benefited a lot from a higher difficulty curve.

Would be nice if some Mario games gave you the option to select higher difficulty settings. Maybe there are already some that do this but really I would like to see a "Hard Mode" in a Mario game someday. Would be fun to see how they modify the levels.

Would be nice if some Mario games gave you the option to select higher difficulty settings. Maybe there are already some that do this but really I would like to see a "Hard Mode" in a Mario game someday. Would be fun to see how they modify the levels.
Yeah absolutely. Like I think BIS is a kind of game where both older and younger fans should be entertained.
I could NOT beat Dark Bowser as a 10 year old, I tried so many times but always lost, and eventually gave up. I returned to my save file 5 years later and won easily. I know the Challenge Node pit thing exists and I'm yet to beat Bowser X but it's not quite the same.

Same thing probably applies for the other MaRPGs that I've played, though with PM64 I just find this game to be an outdated version of TTYD gameplay wise, since I played that game first.

MaRPGs can basically just up the enemy stats for hard mode. That alone really can change a game. Fire Emblem hard modes are like that, but due to the way you level up, having enemies scale highly changes strategies, the way you play, who you use, and the required amount of investment you put into a unit is also higher. Needless to say, Paper Mario is a game that has a lot of potential for this sort of thing. Oh yeah, also have the amount of star points you earn be x0.75, that should add another layer of difficulty to it.

MaRPGs can basically just up the enemy stats for hard mode. That alone really can change a game. Fire Emblem hard modes are like that, but due to the way you level up, having enemies scale highly changes strategies, the way you play, who you use, and the required amount of investment you put into a unit is also higher. Needless to say, Paper Mario is a game that has a lot of potential for this sort of thing. Oh yeah, also have the amount of star points you earn be x0.75, that should add another layer of difficulty to it.
Yes that would work, but I think that increasing difficulty in other ways like making timings for things harder or giving enemies extra moves, or changing up your own tactics, can be more interesting than just bumping HP.

Cackletta's soul imo is an example of a final boss which was very hard but in the wrong way.

Yes that would work, but I think that increasing difficulty in other ways like making timings for things harder or giving enemies extra moves, or changing up your own tactics, can be more interesting than just bumping HP.

Cackletta's soul imo is an example of a final boss which was very hard but in the wrong way.

Oh but I wasn't just talking about just upping HP. But every stat the enemy has. More attack, more defense, whatever else they may have. You could even change some boss properties. All that stuff.

I never want to do another one of those diagonal platforming sequences ever again.
At least the CCP has the joystick. I don't own the cartridge so I never tried it on my DS, I never owned a GBA.

Oh but I wasn't just talking about just upping HP. But every stat the enemy has. More attack, more defense, whatever else they may have. You could even change some boss properties. All that stuff.

I know but I'm saying there are other things which would also be entertaining

At least the CCP has the joystick. I don't own the cartridge so I never tried it on my DS, I never owned a GBA.
It was SNES, actually. And the joystick doesn't help at all, I myself played it on the Wii U GamePad.

And really, that's just one of the many badly aged aspects of the game. When you do get around to playing the game, just keep that in mind; I was fooled by the game's overly positive reputation and was left sorely disappointed.

EDIT: Wait, are we talking about two different games here? No, I loved Superstar Saga, the camera had no conflict with the platforming and I played that on 3DS anyway.

It was SNES, actually. And the joystick doesn't help at all, I myself played it on the Wii U GamePad.

And really, that's just one of the many badly aged aspects of the game. When you do get around to playing the game, just keep that in mind; I was fooled by the game's overly positive reputation and was left sorely disappointed.
Sorry I thought you were talking about Superstar Saga as I brought up Cackletta's soul. You might be right about the overly positive reputation though. I don't anticipate it really strongly like I did with PM64 (thank goodness that game lived up to my expectations), but I think it could still be pretty decent.

Back