Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

My problem with it is how Mario controls, which is a problem in a majority of Mario games I don't like.
I haven't got that far but I play as the princess for which it's not bad especially with the midair adjustment. Maybe the GBA version has better physics?

I've also not really liked the scrolling mechanism. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it was in the original that the screen scrolling wasn't smooth because of hardware limitations back then, and they'd only just gained the ability to scroll back anyways, so they out it on the GBA to make it feel like the older versions even though they didn't have to.

I haven't got that far but I play as the princess for which it's not bad especially with the midair adjustment. Maybe the GBA version has better physics?
I'm basing my experience of Super Mario Advance, but I'm pretty sure it was worse in the original version of Super Mario Bros. 2 based off what I've played.

Chapter 4 in TTYD is one of the best chapters in the series, the positives far outweigh the slightly-irritating backtracking imo. The plot of that chapter has to be one of the most creative twists the series has ever done, and it introduces the best partner Vivian. I don't know how unpopular it is in the grand scheme, but I often see Chapter 4 on the low end of people's rankings for the backtracking, and i really think that's being overblown. I do agree that a shortcut pipe accessible by Vivian's ability would alleviate things a lot.

Chapter 4 in TTYD is one of the best chapters in the series, the positives far outweigh the slightly-irritating backtracking imo. The plot of that chapter has to be one of the most creative twists the series has ever done, and it introduces the best partner Vivian. I don't know how unpopular it is in the grand scheme, but I often see Chapter 4 on the low end of people's rankings for the backtracking, and i really think that's being overblown. I do agree that a shortcut pipe accessible by Vivian's ability would alleviate things a lot.
I think this too - although the gameplay design wasn't the best, the wackiness of Mario getting his identity stolen and teaming up with a "villain" (who's really not evil and actually mistreated by family) to get it back.

The backtracking in TTYD in general is part of why I prefer the first one. Not that there isn't ANY backtracking in the original but the amount it has is less than the amount TTYD has.

The backtracking in TTYD in general is part of why I prefer the first one. Not that there isn't ANY backtracking in the original but the amount it has is less than the amount TTYD has.
Fair enough but personally I think TTYD's battle system definitely makes up for it. In any case, both games have at least tolerable gameplay to me, by which point I'm far more interested in their stories, characters, dialogue, worlds, atmospheres, etc.

TTYD's stage gimmicks drive me up the wall to be honest.

It's probably the most major reason I prefer 64's battle system/

The audience and stage stuff should just be aesthetic honestly. Aside from that, it just disrupts the flow of the game.

Yeah I'd like to be the person who thought, "yeah let's put random fog before you have any explosive moves and watch both sides miss constantly, that would make for a very fun game".

or dropping a random object on you that might give you dizzy status.

Or freezing you in place just as a bunch of strong enemies are about to wail on you.

Oh, and let's have the audiance throw either harmful objects or items JUST for good measure.

i remember a story of someone getting poison mushroomed during the bonetail fight

keep that in mind as well.

Oh boy, how about the wheel! You know, the one you trigger by doing stylish moves!

Fuck that wheel. Honestly.

I don't remember if you can anticipate the bucket but I know you can stop the other stage interferences

BogglyWoods.png

idk if this is an unpopular opinion but my favorite chapter in The Thousand-Year Door is Chapter 2. I really love the chapter's aesthetics, and the most memorable track for me in the game is the great, atmospheric tune that places in the Great Boggly Tree, which is something I find extremely underrated:

Yeah, I have a tendency to really appreciate atmospheric tunes in general. From SMG2's map themes, to Spore's soundtrack (like Serenity and Peaceful Universe), to Wise Owl Forest from Dark Cloud, to Metroid Prime's overall soundtrack.

Punis are also really cute and adorable creatures too.

YES! Boggly Woods is so beautiful and the music is such a good one!

People say Twilight Town is one of their favorite chapters because of the story but I just really hate it because of how you play it, that AND the music of Twilight Trail that keeps looping. God I hate that.

Although I get people who consider The Excess Express their favorite. It's a pretty chill chapter most of the time and the buildup to Smorg is pretty memorable.

My tanking for TTYD's chapters go

3 (I like battling enemies and I really like they mystery aspect of it; it kinda means nothing now that I played the game multiple times but my initial experience with it is enough to warrant the top position)
6 (characters and dialogue are at their funniest here, combat takes a backseat but the scenarios keep me entertained enough)
1 (probably the most memorable chapter and a fun start to the game)
8 (good ending with the most fun boss fights)
5 (another chapter with funny dialogue and Pirate's Grotto is a fun dungeon)
7 (General White backtracking is annoying but I'm a sucker for space and sci-fi levels)
2 (I like the atmosphere but its boring otherwise)
4 (really strong world and atmosphere but the backtracking is at its worst)

TTYD's stage gimmicks drive me up the wall to be honest.
I agree that the random element to it is awful. Fog is a terrible gimmick, as are random objects that fall on you, or random elemental bursts that burn or freeze you (I died to Shadow Queen once because the stage froze me right before the turn I was going to finish her)

I think BINGO is fine though, aside from the severity of the poison mushrooms, I think if it just inflicted a poison status instead of halving all your stats AND driving the entire audience away it would be much more manageable. And the audience's thrown objects are fine too, because it allows you to attack any audience member preparing to throw something, good or bad, which adds a strategic element where you actually need to pay attention to what is being thrown before pressing X to attack them. But yeah the random stage damage (and fog) is definitely the biggest flaw in TTYD's battle system and I'd definitely remove that in the next game to use that battle system (which hopefully is the next Paper Mario game).

I feel like the items in Paper Mario should be improved upon, because after Chapter 1 the only items I ever use are ones that restore HP and FP outside of very situational scenarios.

Back