Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Starfire

Alien superhero princess
Would be nice if some Mario games gave you the option to select higher difficulty settings. Maybe there are already some that do this but really I would like to see a "Hard Mode" in a Mario game someday. Would be fun to see how they modify the levels.
Yeah absolutely. Like I think BIS is a kind of game where both older and younger fans should be entertained.
I could NOT beat Dark Bowser as a 10 year old, I tried so many times but always lost, and eventually gave up. I returned to my save file 5 years later and won easily. I know the Challenge Node pit thing exists and I'm yet to beat Bowser X but it's not quite the same.

Same thing probably applies for the other MaRPGs that I've played, though with PM64 I just find this game to be an outdated version of TTYD gameplay wise, since I played that game first.

Rinka Hayami

Koops, King of cowards.
MaRPGs can basically just up the enemy stats for hard mode. That alone really can change a game. Fire Emblem hard modes are like that, but due to the way you level up, having enemies scale highly changes strategies, the way you play, who you use, and the required amount of investment you put into a unit is also higher. Needless to say, Paper Mario is a game that has a lot of potential for this sort of thing. Oh yeah, also have the amount of star points you earn be x0.75, that should add another layer of difficulty to it.

Starfire

Alien superhero princess
MaRPGs can basically just up the enemy stats for hard mode. That alone really can change a game. Fire Emblem hard modes are like that, but due to the way you level up, having enemies scale highly changes strategies, the way you play, who you use, and the required amount of investment you put into a unit is also higher. Needless to say, Paper Mario is a game that has a lot of potential for this sort of thing. Oh yeah, also have the amount of star points you earn be x0.75, that should add another layer of difficulty to it.
Yes that would work, but I think that increasing difficulty in other ways like making timings for things harder or giving enemies extra moves, or changing up your own tactics, can be more interesting than just bumping HP.

Cackletta's soul imo is an example of a final boss which was very hard but in the wrong way.

King Dedede

King of Dream Land
Poll Committee
Eh. Dealing with that game's overly aged mechanics was challenging enough. I never want to do another one of those diagonal platforming sequences ever again.

Rinka Hayami

Koops, King of cowards.
Yes that would work, but I think that increasing difficulty in other ways like making timings for things harder or giving enemies extra moves, or changing up your own tactics, can be more interesting than just bumping HP.

Cackletta's soul imo is an example of a final boss which was very hard but in the wrong way.
Oh but I wasn't just talking about just upping HP. But every stat the enemy has. More attack, more defense, whatever else they may have. You could even change some boss properties. All that stuff.

Starfire

Alien superhero princess
I never want to do another one of those diagonal platforming sequences ever again.
At least the CCP has the joystick. I don't own the cartridge so I never tried it on my DS, I never owned a GBA.

Oh but I wasn't just talking about just upping HP. But every stat the enemy has. More attack, more defense, whatever else they may have. You could even change some boss properties. All that stuff.
I know but I'm saying there are other things which would also be entertaining

King Dedede

King of Dream Land
Poll Committee
At least the CCP has the joystick. I don't own the cartridge so I never tried it on my DS, I never owned a GBA.
It was SNES, actually. And the joystick doesn't help at all, I myself played it on the Wii U GamePad.

And really, that's just one of the many badly aged aspects of the game. When you do get around to playing the game, just keep that in mind; I was fooled by the game's overly positive reputation and was left sorely disappointed.

EDIT: Wait, are we talking about two different games here? No, I loved Superstar Saga, the camera had no conflict with the platforming and I played that on 3DS anyway.

Starfire

Alien superhero princess
It was SNES, actually. And the joystick doesn't help at all, I myself played it on the Wii U GamePad.

And really, that's just one of the many badly aged aspects of the game. When you do get around to playing the game, just keep that in mind; I was fooled by the game's overly positive reputation and was left sorely disappointed.
Sorry I thought you were talking about Superstar Saga as I brought up Cackletta's soul. You might be right about the overly positive reputation though. I don't anticipate it really strongly like I did with PM64 (thank goodness that game lived up to my expectations), but I think it could still be pretty decent.

King Dedede

King of Dream Land
Poll Committee
Sorry I thought you were talking about Superstar Saga as I brought up Cackletta's soul. You might be right about the overly positive reputation though. I don't anticipate it really strongly like I did with PM64 (thank goodness that game lived up to my expectations), but I think it could still be pretty decent.
Yeah, uh, sorry. Was a little confused there. Yeah, my thoughts on the SNES one are...not glowing; I fully expected PM64 to be a complete letdown as well but thank goodness it wasn't.

HombreSal

King Bowser
I don't like SMBZ that much. The characters are really well portrayed but I feel Dragon Ball fights and sounds clash horribly with Mario, even if they're well choreographed.

Starfire

Alien superhero princess

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
Old flash series that combines Mario & sonic and dragon ball z.

It's well animated but the plot is just fanfic nonsense.

HombreSal

King Bowser
Too dark and out of place for Mario (wtf are Axem rangers with Zero bodies and a koopatrol with Wolverine claws named Basilisx doing in a Mario series lolz) but I wouldn't call it nonsensical. Also the series is funny at times. I lol'd whenever Wario and Waluigi popped up. The pipe maze episode was pretty funny too.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (western edition) is the best Super Mario game for the original NES, even better than 3 (and 3 is awesome). I don't know if someone has posted that yet, but I am not going to look back at over 300 pages to find out. But I digress. Mario 2 is incredible. It introduced Shy Guys, Birdo, Pokeys, and Bob-ombs to the franchise, as well as ice and desert levels. I love the overall vibe of the game. To me, it is the most aesthetically pleasing of the 8 bit Mario games, with a great vibe that reeks of a dream-like, child-like quality. It's also great how you can play four different characters.

King Dedede

King of Dream Land
Poll Committee
To each their own, but Mario USA is my least favorite of the four NES Marios by a long shot. The physics are...really bad, the gameplay wasn't really my cup of tea, and top that with my outright bias against it due to its American title.

Mcmadness

I'm not crazy on jumping on things and that not doing anything to them.

I'm not crazy on jumping on things and that not doing anything to them.
Oh, I love being able to pick up enemies and toss them at other enemies. I think it's great. I love the gameplay of Mario 2 (western version). I really do wish Nintendo would make a sequel to it. Hardly anyone knows about Dokki Dokki Panic. Everyone knows about the western version of Mario 2.

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Oh, I love being able to pick up enemies and toss them at other enemies. I think it's great. I love the gameplay of Mario 2 (western version). I really do wish Nintendo would make a sequel to it. Hardly anyone knows about Dokki Dokki Panic. Everyone knows about the western version of Mario 2.
I do remember how differently that game worked: jumping on enemies is ineffective but safe in most cases, and there are vegetable stalks in the ground. The first thing that I found was different about the game was the charged jump since I ducked on the enemy to see if it will work, and then at another time I pressed the run button which did have an effect, and it was then that I found that the game revolved around this mechanic, and as such, became a fun game.

Count me in as one of those that would love to see a focus on throwing things again, even if the main Super Mario games have similar concepts like Super Mario Odyssey and how you can even throw your teammates in the New Super Mario games and Super Mario 3D World. But as it stands, it would be a bit more difficult to re-introduce this concept since every Mario game is themed around jumping as a means of offence, unless every enemy is changed to not resemble old ones as a way to say that "Hey, jumping on our heads is not going to defeat us!".

Thank you for reading.

Pokerninja2

Koopa Troopa
I'd at least like to see picking up veggies from the ground come back. I feel there's some potential for fun gameplay that hasn't really been explored since.

Chris Yukine

Dry Bowser
Mario feels like he's permanently on ice. He also has no hang time in the air, so he drops like a rock as soon as he hits the ground. He's just awkward to control, and it stops the game from being fun to play.

Starfire

Alien superhero princess
I've just started Super Mario Advance 1, the GBA remake of the NES Super Mario Bros 2 USA. Eh it's OK but I really wouldn't call it anything special. Yeah there were the new enemies being introduced by then but this is far from the first time I've seen them so it doesn't feel original to me.

Mario on ice? Awkward controls? I must politely disagree. Not only do I find the controls to move with ease, but I find it to be the easiest of the NES Mario games.

Subcon is so magical. From pyramids against a twilight sky, old greek ruins in clouds, flying on a magic carpet, from a phantom that chases you when you pick up a key, to placing a potion on the ground that turns into a door to a peaceful dark realm, to pulling up a root that turns out to be a rocket that launches you into the sky, there is just something otherworldly about it that not even the Mushroom Kingdom can duplicate. I want to go back there.

Mcmadness

I'd at least like to see picking up veggies from the ground come back. I feel there's some potential for fun gameplay that hasn't really been explored since.
It's used fairly extensively in captain toad.