Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I don't think liking Toad is an unpopular opinion since he's generally one of the more popular and likeable characters, with his voice being the biggest complaint. With that said, the choice of making Toad's voice the way it is is superb, since it gives him a distinct voice (which is something I can't say for Peach).

thank you for reading.

I vehemently dislike the comparisons people make to Toads and the Minions, specifically in regards to the Mario movie.

Toad isn't even annoying. Like, at all. The Rabbids aren't even a good comparison either: Ubisoft knows the line between funny and insufferable, and smartly ride along it, while Illumination just has all of their Minions on the insufferable side.

Mario has already interacted with Rabbids and Happy (the Happy Meal mascot), so I would like to see Mario interact with the Minions. That way, Mario has met the three modern zany species!

Thank you for reading.

Somewhat related but I'm really interested to see what the Mario movie is gonna be about and what direction they're gonna take it.

I'm not too fond of Illumination's movies (though the first Despicable Me is a cinematic masterpiece and I will strangl- respectfully disagree with you if you think otherwise) but their bright and colorful animation really goes hand in hand with Mario's overall artstyle. And besides, Nintendo has such a chokehold on the IP they they aren't gonna give Illumination enough creative freedom for them to fuck it up lmao.

It's gonna be animated so that alone puts it above the live-action movie already imo.

Somewhat related but I'm really interested to see what the Mario movie is gonna be about and what direction they're gonna take it.

I'm not too fond of Illumination's movies (though the first Despicable Me is a cinematic masterpiece and I will strangl- respectfully disagree with you if you think otherwise) but their bright and colorful animation really goes hand in hand with Mario's overall artstyle. And besides, Nintendo has such a chokehold on the IP they they aren't gonna give Illumination enough creative freedom for them to fuck it up lmao.

It's gonna be animated so that alone puts it above the live-action movie already imo.
I didn't mind that Illumination is the choice, since it's probably the best one for Nintendo to partner with. Not necessarily because of the creative pedigree compared to its peers, but because of their smart handling of budget. I felt that the studios with a better track record have other priorities like how Pixar/Disney prefers to handle original (or public domain) properties. I get that the average fan doesn't care for that sort of thing, but then we aren't the ones responsible for the handling of Mario. Plus, Illumination is pretty decent with their films so I can see why Nintendo went with them.

Thank you for reading.

Disney would just find some way to turn the Mario movie into some garbage cringe musical. Illumination was the right choice.

Not every animated Disney movie is a musical though, especially the ones that Pixar was involved with.

With that said, a potential Super Mario movie really has no business being a musical anyway.

Maybe y'all are right, but I'm just not very fond of Disney in general. Illumination was always more comedy-oriented while Disney's the kind of studio that would blow the plot out of proportion. I still think Illumination was a much better choice.

I'm glad Disney's not handling it, I'm not too big of a fan of their behind the scenes antics and would rather not have them rubbing shoulders with plumber boy.

Well I don't think lost levels is very good either.

ive played the advance version of it and it has a variety of characters talking and yelling in it so it makes it fun

I was going to post this on the fanart thread but there weren't any Bowsette images posted recently so I'll just throw it here:
----
I still cannot imagine the thought processes behind adding the features that they did in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. They fail to address the problems people have with the New Super Mario Bros. series, thereby failing to justify the purchase for skeptical consumers. This is especially crazy when you consider that New Super Mario Bros. U was a Wii U launch title, and thus has been available to the console's market for its entire lifespan, unlike something more recent like Splatoon that everyone's still relatively new to.

Everyone complains that the two Toads are a waste of potential character usage, so they replace one Toad with… a character that's still a Toad, yet Nintendo jumps through all these bizarre self-imposed hoops to justify it by giving them an exclusive power-up. Y'know, instead of just using Peach and/or Daisy, especially since the latter has been shown using similar powers in Super Mario Run and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Regardless of which one they could have added, this was a major missed opportunity to please the fanbase and instead they confuse them.

Either way, now they have this weird gimmick character in a series that usually gives all player characters the same abilities. New Super Luigi U had the same four-player problem where someone's gonna have to sucker up and choose the easy mode character. I don't know if I'd prefer both Toads remaining, but the whole conundrum is moot since they clearly had people to sculpt, rig, and animate new models for this game. They could easily have added a fourth "normal" character. Am I the only one bugged by this?

People also complain about the asset reuse across the series and lack of ambition or creativity, and it's entirely intact here, just slightly built on top of. Nintendo added in, like, three new models onto the base game, and called it a day as far as that issue was concerned.

I guess the Super Crown does count as taking risks or being creative, but Super Mario Odyssey was plenty creative without throwing the audience in for a total loop. In that game, the new elements are well-explained from both mechanical and in-universe viewpoints. I highly doubt that Nintendo will ever explain the Super Crown, and this is frustrating to me because it creates a lot of plot holes in a series that doesn't really have plot. Nintendo seemingly didn't even consider what would happen if you put the Super Crown on other characters, so I'll be really surprised if it's ever mentioned again, especially now that the internet has shown them the logical conclusions.

On some level, I think Bowsette is an attempt to rationalize our obvious questions about this game, but since it's a fandom creation, it doesn't really impact my opinion of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe as a game. But I do think it further drags down its value as a product. Go to Twitter, right now, and you can see, for free, hundreds of pieces of fanart for a joke fan creation that's arguably more compelling and well-thought-out than the $60 game it's based on. I don't know about you but that's pretty sad, in my opinion.

that game was just a port of a game from a console that did badly. it still sold extremely well despite your critiques on how uninspired it was, and the game clearly wasn't made for you and the small percent of us who have already played the game on the wii u.

the super crown is a stupid item so idk of course they won't bother explaining what it does other than to make you say "lol what" and the whole bowsette shit was spun off because the super crown was a stupid item. if anything, any artists who like bowsette and any variants have to absolutely thank the 60$ game and nintendo's bizarre ideas it was based on, not act condescending towards it.

look i don't even care for nsmbu for switch all that much and i didn't buy the bloody thing. however, i am not going to claim that black-wearing, demon peach is any more compelling and well-thought out than a port of a game that still performed well for an audience that never owned a wii u.

Back