Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Bowsette is just a meme character, she'll vanish in time.

isn't geno that mii costume made for smash 4 and spirit made for smash ultimate?

yea, I don't care if he becomes playable or not, I just don't see what's so great about that one-time support character from a relic of the past

if we were gonna have any mario rpg in Smash I'd rather it be Paper Mario with an assortment of partners as his abilities.

I mean, Mario USA gave us some secondary characters like Shy Guys and Birdo.

Lost Levels is just Mario 1 except harder.

Which one sounds worse?
Discounting the 100% biased statements here, I've actually played both and enjoyed SMB2j a lot more than Mario USA.

Mario USA has extremely unfun gameplay, and completely off physics. You realize how frustrating it can be to land on a fast-moving Shy Guy with whack jump physics, pick it up, get it to actually hit another Shy Guy, and repeat? It's awful. And to add negative bias to an already negative opinion, the American title was literally intended to be deceitful, and I can assure you that it would not get nearly the amount of undeserved praise it gets if it was actually treated like a spinoff and not the direct sequel to Mario 1. Its influence on the series is very overstated, too.

The Japanese Mario 2 was a much better game, and felt like a true sequel to Mario 1. It may seem a lot like Mario 1 on the surface, but that's part of the trap. The level design completely goes against the principles of Mario 1, using the instincts you gained from that game to your disadvantage. You need to be patient, not hasty. You need to be cautious about mushrooms, not just slamming into every one you see. It may have had some cheap concepts like backwards warp zones, but that just goes to show that skipping parts of a game isn't without risk, and Mario 1 had a good number of cheap concepts too. Some might call it overly difficult, but that's overstated, honestly; every level can be completed with patience and dedication, and the unlimited continues really help. The difficulty was very much welcome anyway, at least in retrospect. Lost Levels actually had more influence on the main Mario series than USA did, introducing Luigi's unique abilities, enemy bouncing, and non-secret continues (as compared to the seldom-used-in-mainstream-games new enemies from Mario USA). Perhaps NoA made the right decision to not release this game in the West until later (even if all the remakes are worse in nearly every way), but Mario USA could have easily been relegated to spinoff status and nothing would have changed. I actually enjoyed Lost Levels more than Mario 1 and definitely more than Mario USA.

If you disagree, that's fine. But know that this is my opinion and it is not changing anytime soon.

He's referring to Mario USA.
I mean, Mario USA gave us some secondary characters like Shy Guys and Birdo.

Lost Levels is just Mario 1 except harder.

Which one sounds worse?

TBH both of them were pretty lame, USA doesn't feel like a Mario game and Lost Levels is an obnoxious pain to play that brings nothing new to the table sorta just ending up feeling like those annoying troll levels from mario Maker stretched to an entire game.

IMO the real Mario trilogy is Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World.

super mario bros. 2 usa is my favorite of them and my opinion belongs in this thread :)

It might not have originally intended to be a mario game, but I welcome Doki Doki Mario into the Marioverse, I feel it gave birth not only to Shy Guy and Birdo, but also to the concept of Peach being more than just a damsel in distress.

Also i rather enjoy the visual art of the game, it's dare I say.. dreamy

Last edited:
yea, I don't care if he becomes playable or not, I just don't see what's so great about that one-time support character from a relic of the past

if we were gonna have any mario rpg in Smash I'd rather it be Paper Mario with an assortment of partners as his abilities.
While yes, Paper Mario (especially represented in the way you suggested) would appeal to me more personally, I'm so desperate for any sort of meaningful representation of the Mario RPGs that I'll take anything I can get, whether it be from SMRPG, Paper Mario (gotta be classic though) or M&L. Geno has a lot of fan backing so he seems worth supporting for that cult status, it just might get him in. Fawful's my all-time most wanted but he gets way less discussion so I have less reason to push hardcore for him (though I still do voice my support sometimes, but mainly it's the Mario spinoffs I want him in)

I've had enough Mario characters in smash bros.

And Fire Emblem ones for that matter.

I could use more Mario characters, but I wouldn't mind if they stopped adding them

I want Fire Emblem to burn in hell for the rest of eternity because that series is a stain on Super Smash Bros. and everything it stands for

Fire Emblem is that series that everyone hates even though they know nothing of it.

But to my knowledge and thanks to my small time as a fan of it I know that only FE fans truly hate FE.

I would like to address this topic in more detail sometime but I doubt this is the thread for it so eh.

I have a default negative opinion about it not only because it has a lot of smash characters, but it's because 4/7 of them are clones of the same guy and they all have the same physique and style

And I've played two Fire Emblem games only one to completion and goddamn I hated them so much

Well I wasn't exactly directing what I said on you because at least you seem to have a more concrete reason other than just "duh they take up Smash slots!"

I can respect that.

Not strictly Mario, but...

Nintendo Switch Online is hot garbage. First, Online play was free before, wtf is up now. Second, No more Virtual Console, instead we have this library of games to pick from. That's okay I guess, as long as they remember to do one for N64, which they probably won't. Third, the 'Special Offers' are almost non-existent. Everyone was wondering about it, and we got nothing.

If they were charging more than they do currently I'd agree. As is I feel you get your money's worth.

That being said it would be nice if their online features were actually up to date with modern gaming devices.

Back