Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Nah, they're pretty bad.

Count Bleck is a jackass who didn't deserve a happy ending.

i mean there was that whole "sending my son's love interest to another dimension and wiping her memory and cursing her to wander for all eternity" bit

i'm not saying that he should have genocided every dimension, but with an evil father like that and an evil magical artifact right beside him, what can you expect?

well at least in Romeo and Juliet, Romeo didn't seek mass murder of everyone.

Baby Luigi said:

Looking forward to the modern remake of Romeo and Juliet where Romero shoots up NORAD and gets the nuclear launch codes

Time Turner said:
Baby Luigi said:
romeo literally killed someone to get to juliet

if he had an arcane book he'd have totally started shooting firewaves at verona

They're both overdramatic, romantically-driven idiots. Except one got what they deserved and the other didn't.

Yeah, Romeo and Juliet is overrated, I prefer Midsummer or Othello.

People tend to treat the plots of Paper Mario games as if it were a very deep and philosophical tale, putting on a high level more than it needs to be. It's kinda like writing a twenty page essay on the ingredients and nutrition label of a bottle of apple juice.

People call Super Paper Mario's story "deep" when it's not. It's just a complex one.

Mcmadness said:
Count Bleck is a jackass who didn't deserve a happy ending.
He is also a dumb brick that relies on cheesy fanfiction prophecies to guide his life.

Baby Luigi said:
People call Super Paper Mario's story "deep" when it's not. It's just a complex one.

I wouldn't even call it complex.

I'm going to admit, when I first played Super Paper Mario, I played it for like 10 minutes, got bored of it and haven't touched the game in 8 years.

You aren't missing much.

Anyway, the koopalings should appear more often, but they need more permanent character traits added to them.

Mcmadness said:
Anyway, the koopalings should appear more often
I would have never, ever had the courage to say that, even in this forum, so props to you, really.

Regarding the traits, it was interesting to see that SEGA was following some traits seen in Paper Jam (Larry getting dizzy after spinning like Ludwig, Wendy getting mad at Larry), I think Paper Jam is a very good starting point to start developing the personalities of the Koopalings, as in it we saw many interactions between them as well (and Paper Jam Morton is more interesting than what we saw of Color Splash Morton, in my opinion...). It would be nice if their namesake was referenced as well, but so far since their return in 2009 we only saw Lemmy playing the air guitar and Ludwig performing a stationary march.

Yes, in PJ there was also that German Morton line that I really appreciated, but it was just a joke, after all...

Mister Wu said:
Mcmadness said:
Anyway, the koopalings should appear more often
I would have never, ever had the courage to say that, even in this forum, so props to you, really.

Regarding the traits, it was interesting to see that SEGA was following some traits seen in Paper Jam (Larry getting dizzy after spinning like Ludwig, Wendy getting mad at Larry), I think Paper Jam is a very good starting point to start developing the personalities of the Koopalings, as in it we saw many interactions between them as well (and Paper Jam Morton is more interesting than what we saw of Color Splash Morton, in my opinion...). It would be nice if their namesake was referenced as well, but so far since their return in 2009 we only saw Lemmy playing the air guitar and Ludwig performing a stationary march.

Yes, in PJ there was also that German Morton line that I really appreciated, but it was just a joke, after all...

I only like Wendy, honestly

Mcmadness said:
You aren't missing much.

Anyway, the koopalings should appear more often, but they need more permanent character traits added to them.

I'm more concerned about the Kremling Krew, as the Kremlings never returned after Mario Super Sluggers (excluding Smash Run and trophy cameos), and this was before the Koopalings made their return.

MnSG said:
I'm more concerned about the Kremling Krew, as the Kremlings never returned after Mario Super Sluggers (excluding Smash Run and trophy cameos), and this was before the Koopalings made their return.
I think the Kremlings are in a difficult spot, really. Retro studios wants to use new enemies to maintain the DKC series fresh (which is understandable, make the Kremling Krew return for two games and many will say the series is stale and dead), Next Level Games was (momentarily?) "banned" after Super Mario Spikers while Nintendo simply prefers other characters as supporting characters in the spin-off games. It doesn't help that the Kremling often talked about these days is King K. Rool, who cannot really be a supporting character due to his role as main villain and king/kaptain of the Kremling Krew. We'll see if the return of Bandai Namco developing the baseball section of Mario Sports Superstars will make the Kremlings return among the supporting characters, but I'm not holding my breath...

Yeah it's rather sad that the Kritter's last appearance is in Smash 3DS's Smash Run game mode. While that game did show that they're not completely forgotten, the Kremling Krew still needs more attention, even if it means getting them more involved with the Mario spin-off titles.

Mister Wu said:
I think the Kremlings are in a difficult spot, really.

The rest of the Kong family are in the same situation as them (except DK, Diddy, Cranky, Funky and Dixie). Outside of trophy cameos in Smash, Lanky has been missing since Barrel Blast, Candy and Wrinkly since Jungle Climber and Tiny since Mario Super Sluggers. The other ones have been missing for 10-15 years at this point. Heck, even Funky and Dixie were missing for 5-6 years between the release of Super Sluggers and Tropical Freeze.

MnSG said:
the Kremling Krew still needs more attention, even if it means getting them more involved with the Mario spin-off titles.

I think the Kritters are likely to return in a sequel to Mario Strikers Charged, as they have been the goalies since the first game. As for a sequel to Mario Super Sluggers, I would be really sad if Namco cut them and King K. Rool from the roster, but they have not had any cuts yet.

I also hope Paon will make another Donkey Kong game in the future. They brought back the characters Rare made, even some of the enemies from DKC2 when they made Jungle Climber (Click-Clack, Lockjaw and Flitter), while still adding a few new enemies, instead of making the enemy lineup entirely new like Retro did with the Tikis and the Snowmads.

Though to be fair, I think the DK franchise as a whole is not as active as it should be.

Something has really baffled me after I saw the most recent image uploads...

MarioStrikers_Toad_shocked.png

I thought that Toads don't have noses or visible teeth.

That skeleton was fun to port to gmod

Back