Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I still think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is, more than anything, a "bridge" game. It led Mario into the more linear structure of the Super Mario 3D games (the director is the same, actually). More and more linear galaxies were added, with Cosmic Cove Galaxy and Starshine Galaxy seeming more like the exception rather than the rule - a process started with Super Mario Galaxy but that here started reaching pathological levels, in my opinion -, you could see that the story started losing importance and even the settings started losing relevance - I don't think the Star Festival venue was as memorable, same for the first planet you reached in Super Mario Galaxy 2 with respect to the one in Super Mario Galaxy, and I don't remember something like the twin stars exchanging lava of Melty Molten Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2, either.
I'd say that Galaxy 2 started being focused on a simpler gameplay, while Galaxy was still focused on the so called "user experience" - the sense that you're part of something big, revolutionary, memorable, epic in scale, with a story that apparently takes Mario games to the next level, even though it's probably just Super Mario 64 with new gravity mechanics, some gameplay tweaks, slightly more linear structure, a less vast hub world, more linear levels and more cutscenes, dialogues and storytelling (and, of course, a moveset with many missing moves, sadly).
If anything, the Throwback Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2 showed clearly how far the level design of SMG2 was from the level design of SM64, and I still think that galaxy was not a smart move - it was wonderful playing it, but then I got back to the rest and had trouble accepting the linear galaxies. Also, when I heard Good Egg Galaxy's soundtrack in Grandmaster Galaxy, I immediately thought about the obviosuly better experience of the first Super Mario Galaxy, where I was thrown into this strange yet recognizable two-sided planet, with Mario's world on the background, plenty of Star Bits falling on the planet, an epic music, while in Grandmaster Galaxy I was facing yet another annoying gimmick...

I don't think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a bad game, I just think it's the game that made the transition to the Super Mario 3D games - in which ironically Yoshi is nowhere to be seen.

Striker Mario said:
1. Jump
2. Spin
3. Ground-pound
4.????
5. Profit.

Here's a note from that page: The spin jump and ground pound are your friends.

I genuinely enjoy the green stars in SMG2 tbh. while some of them can be painful, they're still a fun new thing to do after you beat the game. it's honestly preferable to just doing the exact same game all over again except as luigi like in SMG.

Mister Wu said:
I don't think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a bad game, I just think it's the game that made the transition to the Super Mario 3D games - in which ironically Yoshi is nowhere to be seen.

I often wonder why Yoshi got the cold shoulder in Super Mario 3D titles. I get that in Super Mario Galaxy 2, he can't dive, but still, the Yoshis in Yoshi's Story had no problems swimming underwater, so I really don't get the Yoshi can't dive ordeal in the Yoshi's Island titles.

Speaking of Smash Bros., I never really understood why Smash 3DS / Wii U continued to use realistic animal voices for Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser, instead of utilizing the voice talents of Takashi Nagasako (Donkey Kong), Katsumi Suzuki (Diddy Kong), and Kenny James (Bowser). Yoshi and Bowser Jr. (along with the Koopalings) managed to maintain their typical voice clips after all.

I think SMG was actually pretty boring, despite how it wins a podium spot in the awards every single stupid year.

MnSG said:
Speaking of Smash Bros., I never really understood why Smash 3DS / Wii U continued to use realistic animal voices for Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser, instead of utilizing the voice talents of Takashi Nagasako (Donkey Kong), Katsumi Suzuki (Diddy Kong), and Kenny James (Bowser). Yoshi and Bowser Jr. (along with the Koopalings) managed to maintain their typical voice clips after all.

I've read on some revisions of DK's, Diddy's and Bowser's pages on Smashwiki that the reason they have realistic animal voices is to sound more intimidating. As for Yoshi, an admin on that wiki said to me that Yoshi still uses his regular voice because realistic noises would not fit him.

Lord Bowser said:
I genuinely enjoy the green stars in SMG2 tbh. while some of them can be painful, they're still a fun new thing to do after you beat the game. it's honestly preferable to just doing the exact same game all over again except as luigi like in SMG.

for a game like super mario galaxy, i expect something far better than what is essentially filler, lazy stars

Cirdec said:
Mario, Luigi and Peach also look depressive in Smash compare to their usual state.
I know.

Luckily, mods are here to change the hell out of that.

Mario's current slump is but a temporary problem and I'm confident we'll get back on track soon.

And there have been a few good Mario titles this generation in my opinion.

A51_Trooper said:
I've read on some revisions of DK's, Diddy's and Bowser's pages on Smashwiki that the reason they have realistic animal voices is to sound more intimidating. As for Yoshi, an admin on that wiki said to me that Yoshi still uses his regular voice because realistic noises would not fit him.

I can get that for the first three Super Smash Bros. installments, since Smash 64 and Melee were released during time periods where Donkey Kong and Bowser used various animal noises for their voice clips in the Mario titles. And as for Brawl, characters in that game are given more realistic looking appearances, so to maintain some sort of realism, Donkey Kong and Bowser basically kept their animal noises. This also applies to Diddy, where he used realistic monkey noises.

However, Smash 3DS / Wii U is far less realistic looking than Brawl, and considering that Bowser's Smash Bros. appearance changed drastically after Brawl, I would think that he'd use his typical Mario series voice clips that Kenny James offered for Mario Kart Wii and later Mario series installments. After all, it just seems weird for Bowser to have realistic animal noises when his own son, Bowser Jr., along with the seven Koopalings, managed to keep their typical voice clips.

Of course, in regards to Giga Bowser, since he's a Super Smash Bros. series character, and a separate entity from Bowser, he would pretty much maintain the realistic animal noises.

Poor Bowser Jr ... he wants to be like his dad when he grows up but he most likely will never grow up unless some alternative plot in some game happens.

Speaking of Bowser Jr., remember the days where Nintendo tried to say in the bios that he looked like a little child, but had to be feared nonetheless? Those days are definitely gone:

n01eTDh.jpg

The Mii says "Bowser has a son named Bowser Jr.. He might be the son of the evil King of the Koopas, but since he's still little, I find him adorable!"

eWn1RVh.jpg

W8KeMAy.jpg

The Mii says:"There are creepy fangs on that kind of... bib.. little scarf.. something that Bowser Jr. wears. Whatever that thing is, it seems that he puts it on his face as if it was a mask! He thinks to be scary, but he remains instead a tiny, tender, little turtle."[actually, there is also a sense of cuteness here that the diminutive conveys]

By the way, this also means that, according to official sources, Bowser's species is a species of turtles, in case someone was still wondering that.

hmm is it unpopular that i find world 5 in smb3 the best world in any mario game?

Sky Land?

Yeah, I'd say that's kinda unpopular.

Not that it was bad or anything, just that the world was kind of forgotten aside from 5-3.

Back