Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Walkazo said:
(The only downside is that the only version that includes my hometown is the MS-DOS one and I have no old PCs to play that on even if I found myself a copy of it. *sniff*)

http://www.dosbox.com/ For running DOS games, might even work with an actual game instead of an illegal ROM.

Can't say I care much about Rosalina being in 3D World.

I don't want her playable, even if it's fine for me. I'd rather have Princess Crazy.

BananaFreak said:
Walkazo said:
(The only downside is that the only version that includes my hometown is the MS-DOS one and I have no old PCs to play that on even if I found myself a copy of it. *sniff*)

http://www.dosbox.com/ For running DOS games, might even work with an actual game instead of an illegal ROM.
Cool. I'll try and remember that for when I get a computer that can actually handle running that sort of program (the joys of aging netbooks).

I don't like the Super Mario World main theme because it plays in EVERY. SINGLE. LEVEL. Aside from a few levels

Candice said:
Yeah I've never heard anyone say that. It's kind of an oddball game out of the whole series. Still a decent though.

It feels more innovative to me. granted I like Mario Bros 3, I think SMB3 is overrated. SMB2 is severely underrated.

It is sort of underrated. Maybe Nintendo should make another Mario games similar to Super Mario Bros. 2. Call it Super Mario Bros. 2 2? Actually that'll be a ridiculous title. Anyways, I would be curious to see how it goes.

Candice said:
It is sort of underrated. Maybe Nintendo should make another Mario games similar to Super Mario Bros. 2. Call it Super Mario Bros. 2 2? Actually that'll be a ridiculous title. Anyways, I would be curious to see how it goes.

Well we kinda are with Super Mario 3D world. ;)

superwesleybros said:
Super Mario Bros. 2 is better than Super Mario Bros 3.

I agree with this.

I think I already stated it in the OP but that was over a year ago so who cares.

Tailmon said:
superwesleybros said:
Super Mario Bros. 2 is better than Super Mario Bros 3.

I agree with this.

I think I already stated it in the OP but that was over a year ago so who cares.

I like it more because my sister likes to play as Toad (if that's the one you're talking about).

One of my unpopular opinions is that I love Mario Party 9, and I don't really care for any Mario Parties aside from 1, 2, 3 and 9.

I think the first Mario Party games are actually the worst. They're not fun compared to some of the others. A lot of the minigames are either impossible to control (all the control-stick-spinning games from MP1) or are just boring (Bumper Balls). The boards are very similar, and there is WAY too much luck involved. The boo spaces, anyone? The entire game can change just from one space. I honestly think the ONLY reason people say the N64 Mario Party games are the best is because of nostalgia.

Purple Yoshi said:
I think the first Mario Party games are actually the worst. They're not fun compared to some of the others. A lot of the minigames are either impossible to control (all the control-stick-spinning games from MP1) or are just boring (Bumper Balls). The boards are very similar, and there is WAY too much luck involved. The boo spaces, anyone? The entire game can change just from one space. I honestly think the ONLY reason people say the N64 Mario Party games are the best is because of nostalgia.

What. Well, I respect your opinion, but I'll explain why so many people think they're the best to you, and why I disagree with most of what you said:

-They have that "crazy" factor. The mini-games were fast-paced, and you had to have good reflexes (Mario Party 1 and 2's Hot Rope Jump, 2's Look Away, 3's All Fired Up, The Beat Goes On, Messy Memory and Toadstool Titan, for example). From 4 on, the turns took FOREVER and most mini-games weren't very dynamic.
-You had to have skill (3's Awful Tower and Frigid Bridges, for example). In 3, if you wanted to win, you needed to have an actual strategy when playing in the board.
-Boo was a game-changer. It could completely change the game from one turn to another. This was made for balance, so players in the last place could actually win somehow. Chance Time was implemented for the same reason (although I hated it).
-The mini-games weren't impossible to control. Only 1's Control-Stick-rotating mini-games, like you said (good thing they got rid of them; those blisters were sure annoying).
-Donkey Kong was playable.
-Bumper Balls boring? But that is one of the best mini-games ever!! If you want to talk about boring mini-games let's talk about 7's Cointagious or 8's Rudder Madness.
-The boards aren't similar at all :| I really don't know where you got that from, but to each their own, I guess.
-Well, luck is involved in practically every game. 1, 2 and 3 were actually the ones that depended less on luck. 7, 8 and 9 are especially horrible in this aspect.

I just don't understand why people attack the newer Mario Party games for doing things that the older games ALWAYS did, if not even worse. Mario Party 9, I understand why people wouldn't like the linearity, but at least they were TRYING to do something different.

Purple Yoshi said:
I just don't understand why people attack the newer Mario Party games for doing things that the older games ALWAYS did, if not even worse. Mario Party 9, I understand why people wouldn't like the linearity, but at least they were TRYING to do something different.

Well, sadly, in the videogame industry, trying is not enough. It's like when you expect your favorite artist to put new music out, and when they finally do, you don't like it, but you still buy their album because they "tried". Personally, I found 9 awfully boring. I was yawning the whole time while playing it, and never really hooked me. The game is slow, the music is boring, the mini-games are mediocre, and the board play is horrible. Maybe it's because I'm used to the fast pacing of the first three and to its dynamic gameplay, I don't know.

Anser said:
Purple Yoshi said:

-Well, luck is involved in practically every game. 1, 2 and 3 were actually the ones that depended less on luck. 7, 8 and 9 are especially horrible in this aspect.

OBJECTION!

(Ok I wanted to do that for the first time LOL, but anyways)

How is 1 less reliant on luck? Mario Party 1's Party Mode is LITERALLY a board game with practically no control; mini-games can only do so much. You don't control your roll or what dice block you get (well actually you can disable certain dice blocks but ehhhh). If you get hindered by an event (i.e. choosing the Bowser Seed on Peach's Birthday Cake or getting Bowser in Mario's Rainbow Castle), you don't have many ways to work your way back up.

The amount Boo steals is random each time, and for me, I feel like it's rather bias... I swear everytime I use it, only 7 coins are stolen but when CPUs use it I have 15 coins stolen lol

Then there's things like BASH AND CASH, Bowl Over, and Crane Game which are TERRIBLY horrid mini-games, especially in Party Mode.

IMO, the luck factor in Mario Party 1 is just as bad, if not worse than Mario Party 9's luck factor.

I feel 2 somewhat fixed Mario Party 1's lack of control due to items, but it was still very limited. Thankfully they also removed things like Bash and Cash... Boo just seemed to be even more bias here.

I can say 3 did very well and deserves the praise it gets. Great items, great mini-games, (mostly) great boards.

4 & 5 were sadly very dull but at least there was a decent amount of control. Plus I liked 4's board events like the Lotto.

What I said with 3 also applies with Mario Party 6. But I love the items, mini-games and boards even more.

7... I swear Bowser time added a huge luck factor and was just bullshit. The Party mode would've actually been enjoyable if this mechanic wasn't in making someone be punished over nothing every 5 turns.

8 was dull, but you had a good amount of control and I can't say it's easy to get screwed over unless you're on King Boo's Haunted Hideaway or Bowser's Warped Orbit. Or that Bandit is being a jerk in Koopa's Tycoon Town. =P

9 was simply bad and luck played a huge role like in 1. But I found most of the (Free for all) mini-games pretty good.

Exactly! People keep saying it was a straight downward spiral from 3, but that really wasn't true. From 4-9 some were better, while some were worse.

Also, did anyone realise they've been releasing them a lot less frequently now? I'm glad, personally. It means we don't get sick of them.

Anser said:
I will agree with you a ton on games like MP3 (Which is my most favorite Mario Party game of all time). But MP1... I'm sorry, I grew up with the original 3 MP games, and even I have to admit MP1 is cover in globs of luck. It's all dependent on the Dice Block, no items, nothing to really give you an edge. You can do amazing in the Mini-Games, and still lose at the end because of a Boo Star steal or whatever the case might be. Also, all I have to say is Bash'N'Cash... the worse Mini-Game in history. I swear, that game only pops up for me every time I play...

I still like MP1, but the game's luck is a huge factor. MP2 has luck being involved, but at a decent amount where it's not too much.

Note, I'm not saying I don't agree with your point. MP7/MP8/MP9 all do have their extremely annoying luck involvements... to MP7's Bowser Time, MP8's existance (seriously), and MP9 going back to a MP1 style of 100% luck. Though all Mario Partys have their enjoyable moments.

Timmy said:
4 & 5 were sadly very dull but at least there was a decent amount of control. Plus I liked 4's board events like the Lotto.
I'll agree with you on MP5... MP5 is so damn boring lmao. I can't play through a game of it without falling asleep.

MP4's boards are kinda dull, but I love MP4 to bits. It was so much like MP3 bar the Mini/Mega system LOL But that game was still very fun and remains one of my favorite GameCube games to this day.

Can I ask what was wrong with MP8? The minigames were really stupid and most were just 'waggle to win', but I still had fun with it. The boards all felt unique and had different ways of getting stars, the candy system meant the items were almost all useful and you didn't have to land on another space for it to take effect, and there wasn't that much bullshit in terms of luck-based events.

Purple Yoshi said:
Can I ask what was wrong with MP8? The minigames were really stupid and most were just 'waggle to win', but I still had fun with it. The boards all felt unique and had different ways of getting stars, the candy system meant the items were almost all useful and you didn't have to land on another space for it to take effect, and there wasn't that much bullshit in terms of luck-based events.

To me, it was the absolutely boring mini-games. I mean, Rudder Madness is bullshit, and several more are. You had to do basically the same thing in most of the mini-games, which was shaking the Wiimote as fast as you could. The music was also very bad. The boards (aside from Koopa's Tycoon Town) were boring. The turns took a LIFETIME. The character roster was ridiculous (I mean, Blooper? Come on). McBallyhoo was stupid and extremely annoying (that HA HA HA!!!!!!! of his... I wanted to behead him). The graphics were mediocre and it didn't support widescreen, which is a sin for a game belonging to a seventh-generation console.

I said why I'm not fond of Mario Party 8 in another topic a while ago so here:

Timmy said:
MCS said:
What was so bad about Mario Party 8?

- Very slow gameplay
- Delayed/unresponsive controls (Flip the Chimp is the perfect example of this and a few others -__-)
- Most boards were pretty boring (Shy Guy's Perplex Express was actually good though)
- Item system was bad and some candies were unnecessary
- Barely any good mini-games (I really did not like the idea of the same mini-games being used but in different categories...)
- Host was weird
- Theme was bleh
- Music was boring
- Somewhat more luck based compared to other Mario Parties (except for 1 and 9, those were like THE most luck-based :p)

I really don't like Mario Party 8's soundtrack. Some songs sound like farting for me, almost like a wet fart-fest.

Back