Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Here are some more.

-Super Mario 3D Land wasn't that great. It felt like a wasted opportunity to bring back Sarasaland, especially considering I was hoping it would be a 3D remake of Super Mario Land hence the title.

-Scott Burns' Bowser voice > Kenny James' Bowser voice.

-Mario Kart 64 didn't age that well. It did have great music, but the graphics and gameplay feel outdated.

It's too easy and short and Geno is so effing overrated and ugly and Booster and Valentina are the only good things about it and Culex was the only real challenge

However I'm not a diehard prolific RPG fanatic so maybe I'm wrong

I liked Geno but Mallow is objectively a better character and Geno shouldn't be the one getting all the attention.

About Super Mario RPG, it's fascinating to see that support for Geno is the strongest in Smash, as opposed to the Mario series where you don't see a lot of fans of that character. From what I seen, Geno is just a minor character in the grand scheme of things, appearing in only one spin-off game. Even a derivative of a major character that appeared once (Mr. L) has more support than Geno here. I mean, if you ignore Smash (there is a thread in Smash Boards where Geno has the most posts), what kind of support is there for Geno, and how much are there?

I don't know if you will ever see a lot of pushback on Mario Kart 64 not aging well, because for all intents and purposes the earlier Mario Kart games are not known for their looks, since Mario Kart 8 is when Mario Kart truly looked phenomenal. In fact, the game's use of billboarding (use of 2D sprites in a 3D environment) makes the characters look unnatural. Plus, each track is pretty narrow compared to newer Mario Kart games.

Thank you for reading.

About Super Mario RPG, it's fascinating to see that support for Geno is the strongest in Smash, as opposed to the Mario series where you don't see a lot of fans of that character. From what I seen, Geno is just a minor character in the grand scheme of things, appearing in only one spin-off game. Even a derivative of a major character that appeared once (Mr. L) has more support than Geno here. I mean, if you ignore Smash (there is a thread in Smash Boards where Geno has the most posts), what kind of support is there for Geno, and how much are there?

I don't know if you will ever see a lot of pushback on Mario Kart 64 not aging well, because for all intents and purposes the earlier Mario Kart games are not known for their looks, since Mario Kart 8 is when Mario Kart truly looked phenomenal. In fact, the game's use of billboarding (use of 2D sprites in a 3D environment) makes the characters look unnatural. Plus, each track is pretty narrow compared to newer Mario Kart games.

Thank you for reading.
You probably don't see a lot of love for Geno here since there's no real way he can make a comeback outside of Smash or a Super Mario RPG remake / sequel. It's not like the RPG characters are being used for Mario Kart.

Which imo would be fantastic if they were included since the RPGs hold some of the franchise's most interesting characters and it's a shame that they're one-and-done, but that's neither here nor there.

You probably don't see a lot of love for Geno here since there's no real way he can make a comeback outside of Smash or a Super Mario RPG remake / sequel. It's not like the RPG characters are being used for Mario Kart.

Which imo would be fantastic if they were included since the RPGs hold some of the franchise's most interesting characters and it's a shame that they're one-and-done, but that's neither here nor there.

And even then, it's interesting because Geno is literally a one-and-done character since he possessed a doll at one point and then departed from it in the same game, whereas Mallow has never disappeared. Still, Mallow is the unpopular of the two despite having more potential to appear in the future.

The comparison between the RPG characters and two regulars who debuted in a spin-off game (Waluigi and Toadette) is interesting, because those two were made with the intention of being reused in future games, and they certainly were more productive compared to the likes of most RPG characters whose purpose is literally made for the game they were introduced in (some like Fawful, the Star Spirits and especially Baby Peach were luckier).

Thank you for reading.

Must. Not. Start. Argument.

I'll start it for you.

Mr. L is a personification of Luigi's very small dark side. If the dark side were to be removed, Mr. L would be a separate entity. If Nintendo thinks of that, Mr. L can be reused in the future.

As for Geno, he's a no-hope-er. He is literally a doll possessed by (what I assume is) an angel. The only reason that he exists is that some little kid's Barbie Doll got chose by an angel to be a host. I don't get why so many people like him. He's just a Barbie Doll.

Idk why but for some reason me thinks RPG characters would be really unfitting as characters appearing regularly in games as though they were part of the main cast.

I'll start it for you.

Mr. L is a personification of Luigi's very small dark side. If the dark side were to be removed, Mr. L would be a separate entity. If Nintendo thinks of that, Mr. L can be reused in the future.

As for Geno, he's a no-hope-er. He is literally a doll possessed by (what I assume is) an angel. The only reason that he exists is that some little kid's Barbie Doll got chose by an angel to be a host. I don't get why so many people like him. He's just a Barbie Doll.
bias

That's...a very dumb reason to dislike a character, tbh. It's not the doll people like. It's the spirit that took the body of the doll and temporarily used the name of the doll. Not the doll itself.

But even then, while I still like Geno, I just find Mallow to be the better character. His character development throughout the story is far more noticeable, he had a pretty tragic backstory (resolved near the end of the game, too!), and he has more dialogue than any other partner in the game.

Geno gets...an insane amount of attention to say the least, especially considering his rather low amount of dialogue and character development. Prime example of a character that isn't bad, but is still incredibly overrated.

Perhaps the huge rallying of support for Geno being playable in Smash has caused some misconception on how important Geno actually is in the grand scheme of things. I mean yes, it's true that Sakurai has mentioned his interest in Geno and that Super Mario RPG is a game many people liked, but Geno is really an inactive part of Mario's cast of characters (and one that is apparently on the Square side of the character rights divide). It's not like Rosalina who only appeared in a handful of games prior to Smash, but managed to stick around in a more significant manner around the Smash time (for example, she stuck around as playable in every Mario Party since 10).

That reminds me of how Miyamoto mentioned his reason for preferring a flexible timeline where game sequence doesn't matter, as restricting the timeline also restricts the role of a character. In this case, Geno's only reason to be alive was that the game's plot was unresolved, and once the Smithy threat is over there's no reason for him to live on. Mallow may have a bit of restriction but it's a far more loose case since he is still alive by the game's end (and the player first encountered him in the same game anyway).

I wouldn't be surprised if between Mallow and Geno, and Nintendo could keep either one for their own use, Mallow is the most likely pick for better adaptability. On the other hand I could see that Geno would probably be picked only because he's the clear fan-favourite between the two despite making less sense for him to return.

Thank you for reading.

Realistically speaking if one of the two is gonna be in Smash, it's Geno.

Not just because he's the fan-favorite and Ultimate has given us a bunch of fan-favorites already but because Sakurai has said he wanted Geno in the roster not once, but twice. Not many candidates can say that.

Not necessarily Mario-related but the GameCube controller is horribly uncomfortable for me and I have no idea how it stayed in the public mind for so long.

The only game I could play with it is Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door since it isn't very taxing, but I legit could not play Super Mario Sunshine or Mario Kart: Double Dash!! until I emulated them via Dolphin.

Just one of the reasons I'm hoping Nintendo Online will eventually extend to GameCube games.

I myself have held a GameCube Controller several times and I must say...

The placement of the ABXY buttons is jarring.

• Right now, Yoshi as a franchise has more stinkers than it does good games.

I'm not a fan of Yoshi games period. I know what they did right. I know why people like them. I still can never get into them. Yoshi's Island hasn't captivated me into the series. DS was the first one I played and although it's not really a good starting point which could be my mistake I guess, it didn't give me great first impressions. Not to mention, and this may sound petty, but Yoshi does in fact influence my enjoyment of the game and I can barely stand his voice.

• People like to call Super Paper Mario's story deep when it really isn't all that deep? It's definitely one of the more creative plotlines in the franchise and I like its characters, but the game's bogged down by its repetitive gameplay imo.

Super Paper Mario's story isn't deep. Maybe it has a more developed plot point than a typical Mario game and it has more developed characters, but its plot certainly isn't deep by any sort of definition. It plays on cliche JRPG tropes (and literary tropes in general). The only message it has is that it's the typical forbidden love story and there's a person who wants to destroy the world and that there's a prophecy, all of them extremely common literary cliches. There's a Mary Sue character introduced in the beginning of the game who shows up and simply beats all of the established main characters to the curb without a fight. There's no subtle underlying definitions and morals underwoven between the lines of its plot. I arguably say it's as shallow as any sort of typical Mario platformer story of Bowser kidnapping Peach.

I also strongly disgaree that it has a creative plot. It doesn't. As I said earlier, Super Paper Mario is filled with literary cliches and plays them straight; the only thing that sets it apart is its Mario-theming and even then it doesn't really take full advantage of it. The original Paper Mario felt unique because it expanded a Bowser kidnaps Peach plot and gives screentime on what goes on while Peach gets kidnapped while introducing worlds populated with friendly Mario characters. We don't really get that in Super Paper Mario.

• The New Super Mario Bros. games booting you out of the level when you die is EXTREMELY ANNOYING! I know they want to give you a chance to use inventory items before jumping back in, but there are many other better ways to do it.

I completely agree that all it serves is to waste your time and I hate it, and this includes all games which kick you out of the level when you die. Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends lets you hop in the level immediately after dying. Super Mario Odyssey also wastes your time by slowly showing a black screen and reminding you that the coins you lost when you died are indeed lost. At the very least, Super Mario 3D World lets you hop back in immediately.

• Mario Kart 64 sucks and is overrated as heck.

HALLELUJAH SOMEONE ELSE WHO THINKS MARIO KART 64 IS A GARBAGE RACING GAME FOR GARBAGE PEOPLE.

As for the rest of your post, I actually find it mostly inoffensive. Most of the stuff I agree with, really, like King Boo's spin-off design, Phantom of the Bwahpera being better than Jump Up Superstar, and Super Mario Bros. 2 getting a sequel.

Back