Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I think Stickerbush Symphony is overrated.

I think Donkey Kong is the best pitcher against AI players in Mario Super Sluggers.

The Mii characters are endearing, even if they are featured in Mario games. I kind of like them in the Mario Kart games, along with the Mario & Sonic games. I hope that they can be an option in more Mario games.

Thank you for reading.

I hate super mario world...and I think its the second worst 2D game in the series.

1: It's such a departure from SMb3(pure perfection, btw). The level design, the way items work in terms of when you get hit(why do i go from fire mario to small, only to be given a mushroom? I DON'T NEED A MUSHROOM TO GET BIG AGAIN).

2: Again, the level design. The themes are so different and all over the place. It's just weird, very weird. I personally adore the hell out of the standard mario tropes(it's overusage is what people hate, but don't blame SMB3 for that, blame nintendo milking the hell out of it). I'd take that over these tropes, frankly.

3: Yoshi. Ok, no, I'm not trolling...My first experience with yoshi was in Super Mario sunshine, and he was used for some of the WORST missions in that game...so that's where my biased, illogical opinion comes from. He's fine here and SMG2, but...I still hate him. Also, his platforming games are too easy imo and his story is even more basic than a typical mario games(I'm looking at whooly world)

So, yeah, screw Mario world.

Neither Super Mario Bros. 3 nor Super Mario World can compare to Super Mario Bros. 2 USA.

Baby Luigi said:
Neither Super Mario Bros. 3 nor Super Mario World can compare to Super Mario Bros. 2 USA.

You mean doki doki panic, correct?

If you don't want Daisy or Waluigi to have starring roles, then you can't shit all over them too for not having starring roles. You can't have it both ways.

Mario Party 7 has the best minigame lineup in the series, beating out even Mario Party 6's.

Time Turner said:
GmanSir said:
I don't see a reason why a Daisy/Waluigi game should exist. What does that gain?
If you're going to phrase it like that, then what was the point of having a Luigi game, or a Wario game, or even a Peach game?
Because they're major characters in the series they hail from, which justifies a game more than minor characters like Daisy or Waluigi.

Like, I can imagine a Zelda spin off where you actually play as the princess, but a game where you play as someone like Impa isn't really in high demand,

PrinceLarryKoopa88 said:
Bowser Jr is garbage.
No offense.
I find this opinion way too popular, and a recent (last year, I think?) poll on this forum confirmed my impression.
My (unpopular?) opinion is that he needs more love: as an example, despite all the games he was featured in, we still don't have new 3D CGI artwork of him on foot, with the famous three images (SMG, NSMB, MP9) being used to death. He didn't even receive new hand-drawn artwork in 2015 - the one used was already shown in 2010. As another example, his athletic prowess shown in SMS also can barely be seen nowadays with him being so often on his Junior Clown Car. The sports games (Mario & Sonic Rio, Mario Sports Superstars) and the Switch parental control video were steps in the right direction in my opinion, MK8D not really (no artwork and half of the trick animations of Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach, that's not how you show that a character is relevant I'd say...), I hope that with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle he will be the main antagonist again so his smart side of SMS shows up again! Bonus points if we also see him on foot, but the two cutscenes featuring him don't give me many expectations on this point...

I can't stand Bowser Jr. in the Galaxy games. All he does is act like a little prick and it gets really annoying. Plus he keeps screaming during the Megahammer fight in Galaxy 2, which just adds insult to injury.

GalacticPetey said:
Time Turner said:
GmanSir said:
I don't see a reason why a Daisy/Waluigi game should exist. What does that gain?
If you're going to phrase it like that, then what was the point of having a Luigi game, or a Wario game, or even a Peach game?
Because they're major characters in the series they hail from, which justifies a game more than minor characters like Daisy or Waluigi.
Wario was the antagonist of two games before he became the leading playable character of his own series. Retroactively making someone a major character seems off.

GalacticPetey said:
They get their own series, so they're major characters, so they get their own series.

J-Luigi said:
I can't stand Bowser Jr. in the Galaxy games. All he does is act like a little prick and it gets really annoying. Plus he keeps screaming during the Megahammer fight in Galaxy 2, which just adds insult to injury.

That sounds like Bowser Jr. in pretty much any other game he appears in.

Not that I hate him, btw.

LeftyGreenMario said:
GalacticPetey said:
They get their own series, so they're major characters, so they get their own series.
Well, that's not quite right because Luigi, Peach, and arguably Yoshi were already major characters before they got their own series. Wario wasn't really, but he's the exception rather than the rule.

Daisy and Waluigi haven't even been in any recent main games yet, so there's no way they can get their own games anyway until they at least get a major role in a main game. Super Mario Land doesn't count because that was way too long ago.
Remember, I am saying this as a Daisy fan. I just think this is reasonable.

I guess. And yeah, even Toad (and Bowser kinda) had their own games. Hell, I think all characters in Mario Kart 64's lineup have their own games, to think about it. Maybe except Bowser, but Bowser has starring roles in Bowser's Inside Story.

Anyhow, I still think Daisy and Waluigi should get starring roles whenever it's possible and doesn't seem phoned in. Waluigi has a ton of missed opportunities and Daisy, she has less, but she still has opportunities but Nintendo never gave either a chance.

Back