Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Time Turner said:
I'm not going to pretend that Smash Bros or Mario Kart or whatever didn't receive a leg-up because of their main characters, but you guys are acting like it's the only thing they have going for them. Smash Bros defined the mascot fighter genre, Mario Kart defined the casual racing genre, and sure, people were drawn to them first because of Mario and whatnot, but that doesn't automatically make them stay (see: Mario Pinball Land, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Hotel Mario): what makes them stay is the gameplay. That's what made Donkey Kong popular in the first place: they were nothing but original characters, and heck, it started off as a Popeye spinoff, but people were drawn to it because of its gameplay.
All of this is true, but the way you framed the question made it seem like we expect all new IPs to fail or games get their famous mascots only to bolster identity or sales.

Also, sometimes, not even amazing gameplay can save new I.P.s or even new spinoffs. I'd say the whole situation is more complex in the end, and I suppose luck got factored in as well.

Time Turner said:
In what ways, exactly? Sure, they don't have the drama of the FF games, and subjects such as elemental weaknesses and a million different equipment options aren't tackled, but they still have similar scopes.

Stories, characters, rpg mechanics, replay value, depth, all sorts of stuff.

I prefer 64 anyhow.

I say that audience and random ass stage hazards are pretty big changes. Same thing with Stylish and Super Guard and how they overhauled the partner mechanics. You have to manage partner HP and badges now compared to the previous games, where partners simply risk sitting out?

Sometimes I feel like the Mario rpgs and their fanbase can suck it.

Sometimes.

TheFarmboy said:
I guess people are content with being fed the same thing as long as it's not NSMB.

The best games are games that have vastly improved their base mechanics while adding new content rather than overhaul everything.

Oh, I'm not talking about Galaxy 2 btw. Nor most Mario games.

Mario Kart 7 had the worst selection of courses of all Mario Kart games

Meh, it has good courses and bad courses, like every Mario Kart

Most of us can agree that Mario Kart 8 has the best tracks

I love Mario Kart Wii, though. Easily one of my favorites. Though its battle mode is more pathetic than Mario Kart 8's.

Nah, I think Super Mario Kart has the least interesting track selection. There's no contest.

Though there is context that needs to be taken into consideration. But I'm judging it by how well it holds up today.

Wii had some awful retros, but I enjoyed a large number of the new courses. Especially the ones in the star cup.

If I had to rank the retro selections, I would say 7 > 8 > Wii > DS.

Back