Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Baby Luigi said:
Most of us can agree that Mario Kart 8 has the best tracks

personally I probably would put it in the bottom half, at least based on new tracks

SMK and SC easily have the worst track lists though

Lucas said:
funky bike wii had fantastic nitro courses, but the retro tracks sucked ass
that's not an unpopular opinion

Glitchy said:
Wii had some awful retros, but I enjoyed a large number of the new courses. Especially the ones in the star cup.
neither is that

Riki said:
Baby Luigi said:
Most of us can agree that Mario Kart 8 has the best tracks

personally I probably would put it in the bottom half, at least based on new tracks

SMK and SC easily have the worst track lists though
pretty sure she's talking about retros but idk

anyway i think that super circuit is overhated and i've said this before

Lyn said:
Lucas said:
funky bike wii had fantastic nitro courses, but the retro tracks sucked ass
that's not an unpopular opinion

Glitchy said:
Wii had some awful retros, but I enjoyed a large number of the new courses. Especially the ones in the star cup.
neither is that

not like responses to unpopular opinions have to be unpopular themselves

Lucas said:
pretty sure she's talking about retros but idk

she said that before retros came up so I assumed she meant overall, but I don't think I'd agree with that either anyway

Lyn said:
Riki said:
not like responses to unpopular opinions have to be unpopular themselves
smasher please you're a mod

popular opinions = derailing the thread

icemario please i'm the thread owner

popular opinions in response to unpopular opinions = allowed

[me=Smasher]locks you outside[/me]

of the three major Nintendo platformer series (DK, Kirby, Mario), Mario is overall the weakest

Kirby platformers >>>>>>>>>>>>> Mario platformers

I haven't played much DK so idk about those games.

I find Kirby to be the weakest due to the fact that there appears to be zero incentive to playing well. There appears to be zero real punishment the game deals out for failing. If the game is not interested in punishing me for playing badly, then I have no interest in playing well. I've tried a couple of Kirby games (Amazing Mirror and Epic Yarn), but none of them appealed to me in the slightest. Meanwhile, Mario has tight mechanics with levels that reward quick manoeuvring around obstacles and the like, and the Donkey Kong series (at least Donkey Kong Country) has loads of mechanics that are just waiting for the player to learn, use and eventually master, like the roll jump and similar mechanics.

Some of the sub-games in Superstar and Superstar Ultra are quite difficult.

And I think Metroid can be considered a major Nintendo platformer too.

It still doesn't change the fact that I absolutely hate the jumping mechanics in any Kirby game. The very idea of having infinite jumps is so off-putting to me that I might not even play any of the games ever. What's the point of a platformer if the jump isn't going to be the most difficult to pull off? I don't understand.

Kirby is far more action-oriented than Mario or DK, and I think its style of gameplay is more similar to hack and slash than pure platforming, with a heavy focus on a variations of different abilities you can use. Kirby tends to have more focus on smaller, more littered with hazards and enemies, than other platformers.

I like Kirby because it doesn't punish you hard if you screw up. I don't look at it when I want a challenge, I look at it for having some fun doing runs with various abilities, or I just want to relax and have fun.

Well, exactly. The Kirby games, from the ground-up, were designed so that inexperienced players can get into it. It's also designed so that you can kick the enemies ass around in many different ways, similar to hack-and-slash games.

Kirby games were never challenging platformers. They're always laid-back and action-y, and challenge is one of the last priorities. Kirby definitely isn't for you if you want something that challenges your skill and punishes you hard for it. So I completely understand if Kirby doesn't suit your tastes.

Kirby can be challenging depending on what it is. Shame that Epic Yarn is one of the only ones you played that's like immensly easy (unless you're going for 100% then some of them are harder). But like 100% Kirby games can be challenging but that's probably why they're optional. I also have a personal challenge I've yet to beat.

Kirby's Dream Land Set HP to 1 and then give yourself 0 lives. Then beat it on extra mode. For me at least there's no way that's easy. But once again it's optional to do things like this so ah well.

I guess Kirby's not your cup of tea

In Paper Mario 64 so far my favorite chapter is Chapter 5

Honestly, the Flower Fields leg of Paper Mario is the only part of the game I don't care for. I can't really explain why, though.

@ Kirby debate: Kirby is easy to play and beat but a pain to 100%. I still haven't beaten the True Arena in Triple Deluxe. Fuck Pyribbit DX.

Doraemon said:
Meta Knight said:
In Paper Mario 64 so far my favorite chapter is Chapter 5

How's that unpopular?

Speaking of Paper Mario, I don't find Huff N. Puff to be the hardest (required boss) anymore.

he's pretty easy to be honest

quite frankly bowser phase 2 was far harder than ANY boss in the game

most would argue the master final fight, but zap tap badge really crushes the challenge

Honestly, the Flower Fields leg of Paper Mario is the only part of the game I don't care for. I can't really explain why, though.

yeah flower fields was just lame, because of all the backtrack, a severe lack of humorous dialogue, and the chapter itself just had really bland design.

Easily the worst chapter in paper mario history.

Doraemon said:
Zae Eildus said:

The triple Anti Guys say hello.

stone caps while bow uses her normal attack and stronger version of it

Pi said:
It still doesn't change the fact that I absolutely hate the jumping mechanics in any Kirby game. The very idea of having infinite jumps is so off-putting to me that I might not even play any of the games ever. What's the point of a platformer if the jump isn't going to be the most difficult to pull off? I don't understand.
I feel those kinds of assertions are not very valid since it seems so... simplistic to judge the merit of Kirby games on just that aspect.

I don't know how you feel about Kirby 64 since you do have limited jumps there.

Zae Eildus said:
Doraemon said:
Zae Eildus said:

The triple Anti Guys say hello.

stone caps while bow uses her normal attack and stronger version of it
That it requires an item exploit doesn't make it easy in of itself.

theres plenty of other ways, anyway by that time you're already so powerful that you can probably negate most of their damage to begin with and they dont heal themselves either.

So overall, anti-guys arent difficult in the slightest, not even the first one is hard.

Goombas are underrated.

The poor guys need to be playable in more games

Absolutely. Pity they don't have any arms. If only there was some kind of sport that didn't involve arms in anyway that they could play.

But I guess such things exist only in the realms of dreams.

Back