Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Bowser is my favourite fictional character of all time but Mario comes immediately afterwards.

I think I said this already, but I like New Super Mario Bros. Wii way more than Super Mario 3D World.

NSMBWii's multiplayer isn't an abomination for starters.

I'm the opposite

Hard to say how the multiplayer for both fared since I don't have New Super Mario Bros Wii, but between New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World, I find the latter to be more enjoyable and have a smoother experience with my cousins than the former.

Thanks fror reading.

Super Mario 3D World has several extreme annoyances that New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. U lacked:

*The bubble mechanic in 3D World is highly punishing. More often than not, your partner accidentally botches your jump or the other way around, and since you can't bubble, you just end up dying and losing a life and just encouraging resentment among you and your friends. Also, your partner might accidentally break your bubble, and you end up falling straight down; you can't even use the control stick to guide your character. Since you can't bubble if you fall, this also leads to too many accidental deaths and it does put a strain on the relationships between your friends. I guess the rationale behind this is that the bubble system can be abused... or something, but these mechanics have their own problems that outweigh the problems New Super Mario Bros. Wii had. Nothing is stopping people from performing suicidal jumps to get otherwise-impossible-to-reach-without-item Star Coins, and this certainly doesn't stop them. Lives are worthless, after all. If Super Mario 3D World had online, theoretical trolling experiences would be even worse.

*The grab/throw button is shared with the fireball and dash button. If you have a fireball, you will accidentally pick up your partner and throw him or her, oftentimes at crucial moments, often hurting you or your partner. This is a terrible design choice and the developers should be ashamed for that.

*The Potted Piranha Plant is programmed to attack allies as well as enemies. The Cannon Box can even downgrade your friends if they accidentally get in the way. The Goomba Mask is worthless. I guess the former two were added because "lol chaos is fun", but all it does is just pile on frustration for those who just want to cooperate.

In a multiplayer perspective, Super Mario 3D World is a much more frustrating experience.

i really dislike playing multiplayer in both NSMBW/U and SM3DW since other players just get in my way and annoy me
i mean i guess its nice that the option is there (especially since it led to playable peach and toad in sm3dw <3) but its not really for me

Epic Nitwit said:
i really dislike playing multiplayer in both NSMBW/U and SM3DW since other players just get in my way and annoy me
i mean i guess its nice that the option is there (especially since it led to playable peach and toad in sm3dw <3) but its not really for me
I might add that "getting in the way" is much less prevalent in Rayman Origins/Legends (if you try running past your character, you'll just pass through; the characters in Super Mario platformes are physical obstructions) and Kirby, where there is infinite jumps and less emphasis on momentum and precision platforming. It also doesn't have the annoying "jumping on head" mechanic, thanks to the multiple jumps.

One more point I need to add is the different stats for each player. I've never had a personal problem, but people who use Toad can just speed ahead and just annoy the rest of the team.

I prefer Super Mario 3D World's multiplayer, but I've certainly encountered problems with it, including most if not all of the ones brought up here. I prefer every Mario platformer with multiplayer as an option in single-player.

I also agree that the multiplayer in Mario platformers is easily inferior to the multiplayer in other platformers.

One thing, that player 1 can choose any other character in 3D World is fine and dandy, but the experience itself is simply more frustrating.

I don't see a lot of people thinking that New Super Mario Bros. Wii / U's multiplayer (or in general) is superior to 3D World's, hence why I even posted in this thread in the first place.

Oh, and finally, I don't think the power-up based gameplay translates very well into the third dimension. It's much easier to perform a mis-step.

It was much better when Mario could punch and kick and breakdance-kick.

Me neither. That was the biggest problem I had with 3D World, honestly. I can't count how many times I tried to punch enemies or tried shaking the game pad to get Mario to spin.

Pretty sure the gamepad dude is doing it on purpose. I don't think it's multiplayer's fault.

Also, Flipswitches in multiplayer are a friggin nightmare. Seriously, what were they thinking?

Baby Luigi said:
Pretty sure the gamepad dude is doing it on purpose. I don't think it's multiplayer's fault.

Also, Flipswitches in multiplayer are a friggin nightmare. Seriously, what were they thinking?
And there's no way in 3D World to mitigate asshattery behavior. If the bubble worked as it did in New Super Mario Bros., you could at least save yourself.

Meta Knight said:
I like 50 turn mario party games the best
This.

I think that's the only way I play Mario Party nowadays, lol.

The only reason I would play 50 round of Mario Party is to get collectibles. For example, in Faire Square, the amount of stars you can get on average is higher than the others, thanks to the ability to get 5 stars per round and potentially cheaper. If save states were to be used, then it's possible to get 300+ stars (no wonder they have 3-digit star totals in Mario Party 6).

Mario Party DS is another game due to the DK Stone Statue board, and if the 5 coins per Star happening were to happen, then getting 99 Stars is very much a possibility, which would be a profit because you win 10 points per Star at the end of the round. To give you some perspective, you only get 1 point per coin you have.

Basically, I feel that there's no reason for me to go for 50 round because it's too long, but if a certain collectible can easily be gathered in that board, then I don't mind the lengthy session.

Thanks for reading.

Sapphire said:
I can barely play 8 rounds before getting bored. I would never be able 50 rounds.

winstein said:
The only reason I would play 50 round of Mario Party is to get collectibles. For example, in Faire Square, the amount of stars you can get on average is higher than the others, thanks to the ability to get 5 stars per round and potentially cheaper. If save states were to be used, then it's possible to get 300+ stars (no wonder they have 3-digit star totals in Mario Party 6).

Mario Party DS is another game due to the DK Stone Statue board, and if the 5 coins per Star happening were to happen, then getting 99 Stars is very much a possibility, which would be a profit because you win 10 points per Star at the end of the round. To give you some perspective, you only get 1 point per coin you have.

Basically, I feel that there's no reason for me to go for 50 round because it's too long, but if a certain collectible can easily be gathered in that board, then I don't mind the lengthy session.

Thanks for reading.

Hence, this thread. :roll:

ive done 50 rounds a chunk of my mp life

pretty interesting if you can get enough players together

I've done it against easy CPUs.

Pretty fun actually.

Back