I just beat __

Mario vs. Donkey Kong

I had been consistently around 30-40 lives for pretty much the whole game, but the last 2 plus worlds brought them down from over 30 to 6 lives. Granted I was going for all presents. The final boss isn't even hard, but the pressure of having only 6 lives earned me the only Game Over of the playthrough. I was... visibly annoyed to say the least. Then I beat him on my first try after the Game Over. Guess it was obligatory for the playthrough -_-

I just beat Super Mario Odyssey.

Easter Yoshi said:
Puzzle & Dragons: SMB Edition

FINALLY, after playing the game for fourteen months, I have beaten Bowser's Castle!
After a whole lot of long, hard battles, I reached the final boss, Bowser. He is a Dark-type enemy, and his Skills are deadly. One of them was called “Roar”, where he paralyzes one of my allies for three turns. Another was “Bowser Breath”, where he greatly reduces my HP. I had Heal Wave to help me recover most of the time, though.

When I beat him, I cleared the course...or so I thought. But I was greatly mistaken. Bowser summoned the Koopalings and Bowser Jr. to fight me alongside him, and Bowser said, “You don’t stand a chance, Mario!” Bowser and the Koopalings merged together as one enemy known as Bowser and His Minions, while Bowser Jr. fought me separately. Bowser and His Minions can use three extra Skills in addition to the ones that Bowser alone could. The first was called “Attribute Change”, which is just a normal attack that changes their enemy attribute. The second was called “Junior Rebounds”, and as you may have predicted from the name, revives Bowser Jr. with full HP if he dies. The third and final one was called “Bowser’s World”; Bowser makes a slightly stronger attack, but it removes all my status effects, good or bad. Bowser Jr. is also able to use “Healing Magic”, which fully heals him as well as Bowser and His Minions. Eventually I beat him, rescued Peach, and saw the credits. Bowser is still saying “I’ll be back!”, though.

The credits were kind of fun; I could move Orbs around freely, and could destroy letters in the names of the staff members.

After this, I unlocked Peach and Bowser as Helpers, and unlocked the Special Worlds. Unfortunately, because Bowser joined my team, Boom Boom would always replace him as the final boss whenever I try to fight him again, and I can say bye-bye to fighting Bowser and His Minions again. Now I just need to see what Bowser’s plans are for me in the Special Worlds...

I plan to leave this game for a while so that I can focus on some other games.
Posting this here as well. I originally posted it on the “What game did you last play?” thread.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

This is a game that I feel greatly benefits from the Gamepad since changing items and looking at a map while the action is going on is a very welcomed convenience, since travelling to a certain location takes a while so being able to navigate with a map handy is much better than having to pause to check the map often. There's also the Tingle Bottle, but unfortunately Miiverse was shut down so I can't post stuff I liked, which was something I did very often when playing Paper Mario: Colour Splash.

I finished the game with all Treasure Charts found and salvaged, and at the end I have only got 14 Heart Pieces left but I wanted to complete the game. The final battle with Ganondorf is pretty difficult but luckily I have 3 Fairies so I have a lot of leeway. After finishing the game I unlocked the Second Quest, which I am not interested in doing for I have other games to finish. Still, finishing a Wii U game is an accomplishment in itself.

Thank you for reading.

I just beat Bayonetta 2 on the 3rd climax, it is like hard mode too.

I beat Fire Emblem Fates on Lunatic mode, it is like a very hard mode, on classic mode.

Splatoon 2 hero mode.

The final boss being an arena fight is a bit of a letdown, compared to first game being a big obstacle course with nearly all elements from previous levels: sponges, fans, geysers, balloon fishes and invisible platforms. At least, he got a few new attacks.

And the altered dialogue from the final boss rematch was hilarious.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

i've had enough of people disintegrating for one weekend

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (mobile version)

The game was better than the first one. Finished it without Tails and all the Chaos Emeralds, which means Super Sonic!

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

Four out of Seven Chaos Emeralds obtained, going back for the last three later.

Also the Death Egg Robot's kamikaze attack can go hit the bricks.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix

The Dark Eye: Memoria

It's a point-and-click adventure involving the main character Geron attempting to help his fairy who isn't herself in this game, and his quest ultimately led to exploring the past of a specific character Sadja, who has her own quest but was somehow forgotten in time. This game is actually a sequel to another game called "Chains of Satinav" but I didn't know I have that game because for some reason on Steam the developers omitted the "Dark Eye" title in this game but "Chains of Satinav" has it. That means I ended up playing the prequel second, whereas I would have preferred to go through the prequel first if I knew I had this game in my collection.

Ended up finishing the game in two days due to the intriguing story.

Thank you for reading.

Letter Quest Remastered

Completed Normal mode at 100% (all Stars collected). Here's a picture of what happens if you got them, assuming you don't want to go through this game:
Dc_HfCaU8AIY5bP.jpg:large

If you are old enough, you might remember Bookworm Adventures. The basic gist of that game is that you're in turn-based battles with enemies, and you use the letter tiles at your disposal to form words, transforming into attacks that will hit the enemy. There might have been a game with this concept, but Bookworm Adventures made is quite popular since Popcap Games made that game, and they're a developer that knows how to make games that appeal to casual and core players.

This game basically takes the basics of Bookworm Adventures and made it a lot more like an RPG, for money can be used to upgrade the character, weapon and even the battle HUD (like being able to view how much the word can do damage). Money of course is also used to buy stuff, like books that can be equipped and potions.

Between the two games, I feel that they have their strengths and weaknesses. The strength of this game is how much content there is: there are 40 levels each with Normal, Timed, Challenge and Ultra Challenge. The Challenges are rather creative so there's variety. Moreover, there's even an Expert mode so at least there's something that I can sink my teeth into. The weakness of this game, I feel, is that it felt slower than its inspiration, and I can name a few reasons this is the case. Bookworm Adventures, on the other hand, is very streamlined, since you can just progress through the game and not worry about stuff like buying one of the many upgrades as is the case in Letter Quest. There's also the fact that Letter Quest has less production values since the enemies and equipment have little variety compared to Bookworm Adventures.

To name one reason Bookworm Adventures is a streamlined game, I will give an example of how both games handle Jewel Tiles: Bookworm Adventures rewards you with a tile if you made a high-scoring word, whereas Letter Quest rewards them randomly. Moreover, each of the Jewels in Bookworm Adventures provide a power bonus for the entire word, whereas Letter Quest doesn't. Finally, Bookworm Adventures have tiles that inflict status on the enemies including poison and bleed, while Letter Quest's ones only buff the player. If you combine these three things, you will find out that Bookworm Adventures has momentum in the game that makes it very ideal for speed runs, while Letter Quest is not as exciting to watch despite being a shorter game.

Don't get me wrong: it's still a great game for what it achieves to be. It's just that I feel it's unfortunate that Popcap Games stopped making these type of games in favour of more Plants vs Zombies so other indies have to fill in the void, with this game being a prime example.

Thank you for reading.

Layton Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy on 3DS.

I've completed all the cases, but there are still a couple of puzzles that I still need to beat.

Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero

I really liked the game, but I think I prefer Pirate's Curse more. I have the Ultimate Edition with all the DLC, but I think I'll hold off on that for now.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (PC)

Finished this game in three days, since buying it from Steam due to the Wonder Boy discount at 50% for all available platforms. If you are interested, there's still time to buy it for a discount! I decided to get this game on Steam because it's, from what I read, a short game, and because Steam sells games at a much cheaper price in South East Asia, I got it on Steam. The price winds up at half price from what I would have gotten on Switch, and it's ultimately a good decision. To make up for it, I played the entire game with the Switch Pro Controller.

This game is a remake of the original Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, which is in many ways a huge departure from the original game. Firstly, it's doesn't play like Adventure Island (one HP, require fruits to replenish HP, level based structure). Secondly, it features a medieval theme rather than an island theme. There are some very iconic elements in this game, such as the shopkeeper pig with eyepatch (which Cuphead clearly references) and the nurse in pink. Basically Wonder Boy found its own identity after its attempt to ape the Adventure Island series.

The game is quite nice to play, not only because it's built on a solid foundation of a game, but also because its graphics made everything easier to tell apart, along with the fact that every place looked much better than before. I feel like the fact that this game got a remake meant that it's one of the best Wonder Boy games, since I never played the other Wonder Boy games extensively to compare the experience.

I've finished the entire game in Normal, but I don't think I am fit to play this game on Hard because based on the description it's timed. Besides, Normal's difficulty is rather balanced. I suspect that Hard having time is to discourage grinding, which is very possible to do since there are rooms with money so it can be re-entered (must first exit and reload game again, though) for more cash.

Thank you for reading.

Anna's Quest

A point-and-click adventure starring a girl named Anna who has telekinesis, and is on a quest to stop the villain (that kidnapped her) from her plans that are ultimately for the worse. The game's style is rather cartoonish, and its style is on the simplistic side. I am not sure if it's the norm, but this game's ending has good outcomes and a bad outcome, but mostly the good.

Thank you for reading.

Back