I just beat __

It's because of the reused levels.

Most of the levels in this campaign are built around Shovel Knight's playstyle, so playing as a character who has a completely different playstyle isn't going to end well. The developers understood this and modified certain parts of levels so they work with Plague Knight better, but at times this doesn't feel like enough. I feel like they should've just redesigned levels with Plague Knight in mind, rather than modify preexisting levels ever so slightly. This idea is why I prefer Spectre of Torment, as that campaign uses entirely unique level design, and could be passed of as a new game.

Windosill (PC)

This game is about moving a car across each room, and to open each door, you must find a cube to unlock the door. It's clearly made for the iPad or tablet, due to its abstract artstyle and only using the mouse to interact. Or in the case of the tablet, you touch to interact with the environment.

The game's also extremely short, in which it can be completed in just half an hour even at a leisurely pace. In fact, I did just that, and as a result, this game is completed before I know it! I think it's a pretty game that's over so soon, because I feel this game could use more puzzles, perhaps double the current amount.

Thank you for reading.

Feel-a-Maze (PC)

This game is played similarly to the electric stick games, where contact with the metal maze will create a shock and counts as a game over. It doesn't look anything like it, but if you know what I am talking about, that's the gist of the game.

This is also an extremely short game, where you can complete all the levels including the Christmas expansion in short order. It could take longer if getting 3 stars in all levels, which is the most difficult part of the game. Since I am not interested in that, I just completed all the levels and got this game out of the way.

Thank you for reading.

I beat Fire Emblem Warriorson hard mode, it wasn't hard at all since I have two years of experience in the franchise.

Minion Quest: The Search for Bowser
The final boss was Fawful Most Furious XYZ, with six battles at squad level 36. I beat him with Captain Goomba, Starlow, Prince Peasley, Boomerang Bro, Ludwig, Lemmy, Roy, and Bomb Boo. When I beat him, I recruited "that guy" (aka Bowser Jr.).

The inconsistency with Bowser's Castle in Superstar Saga still remains, and there are a few more inconsistencies with the main game during the ending.

Additionally, I got to see the end credits starring the four captains.

I beat Bayonetta 2 on the 3rd Climax which is like a hard mode, it isn't hard until you get to the final boss.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2... main story anyways.

'Twas a fun ride, barely scraped through the final confrontation by the skin of my teeth though. Apparently I reached the level cap since my Saiyan OC isn't leveling up above 80.

Super Metroid

took a few years but i've finally managed to beat my first metroid game (after having started like 5 different ones lol)
7:30 time and 75% completion
good game, would recommend

Antichamber

This is a first-person puzzle game, and instead of shooting that first-person is known for, you use a gun to collect and dispatch coloured cubes that you find around the game. Although it's a first-person puzzle game, it has the element of what's known as Metroidvania where you are travelling through a huge level with several branching paths, along with the fact that there are upgrades that will trivialise past challenges. In fact, it's a game made for speedrunning because there are shortcuts that skip a good portion of the game (of course it requires skill to perform them).

The cubes have a peculiar way of acting, and the two most peculiar ways are: 1) if you form a border of cubes, the insides will fill; 2) splitting a formation will cause the lesser half to disappear. Those two behaviours are important information in solving puzzles with the cubes.

Besides the cubes, this game has a map that doesn't follow a consistent space. For example, going through a pathway will cause what's behind you to change to another location. Also some pathways will only appear if you walk on them and disappear when you jump. The fact that the whole game takes place in a cubic dungeon makes this all the more surreal.

What I like about this game are the nice little images with words to go with them. The official terminology for them are "Signs" and they will fill the "Moral Wall" when you encounter them. Here's a sample of what can be encountered:

Some things don't have a deeper meaning.

If you're only focusing on right now, you won't have enough for later.

A path may not be right or wrong. It may just be different.

Interestingly, this is a PC-only game, where it's also available on Mac and Linux, but for all intents and purposes, this is only on PC because I guess its puzzles require precision which would be tough on a console. Moreover, this game lacks achievements even though it's a game that is primed to get it, because I guess it might spoil the rest of the game if they're there.

Thank you for reading.

Mighty Switch Force

Received it as a My Nintendo 3DS reward after using the gold points from Xenoverse 2, short but fun little mind twisting adventure. That final level was amazing.

Tales of Vesperia

took 55 hours and a 2 year long break in between playing, but i finally beat the game. its very long and the story ended up feeling like it should have ended ages ago, but the fighting system is so fun and the protagonists are endearing so i still love this game. probably one of my favourite rpgs
shoutout to icemario and zae for recommending this to me like 4 years ago, even if they probably don't even remember doing so lol

Ace Attorney Investigations 2

Finished it. It's a shame I got spoiled for the big reveal in the final chapter but it was good anyway. Probably one of the most satisfying overall plots the series has. Guess I'll continue with Etrian 5 now, although the bosses being super easy so far is rather disappointing considering the top tier quality of the classes and areas.

LED42™ said:
Erm... As far as I know, The Lost Levels was left untouched in terms of difficulty in SMAS, it's as hard as in the original, I have both in an emulator, and, I see no difference between the two, other than the graphics.
I thought they put more 1-Ups in that one?

Kamiko

This game is a Nintendo Switch exclusive, and it's one of the earliest digital games to be released. I got it from the recent Nintendo Switch sale, because despite the game being cheap ($5), I am holding on for a discount, which happens to be on a Friday at $3!

The game features gorgeous pixel art and really great music, and this is a heavenly combination. It is very reminiscent to Legend of Zelda's 2D dungeons, given you have a character that run around slaying monsters and solving puzzles to fight a boss.

The entire quest is rather short, where you are encouraged to complete the game in 30 minutes or less. Fortunately there are three characters that you can use, and their attacking style is distinct: Yamato (Water) is the most similar to Link with his sword, Uzume (Wood) is the arrow shooter and Hinome (Fire) uses a boomerang-frisbee and a short sword. I played the Wood one first, then Fire and then Water, following Pokemon's traditional elemental order.

I have completed this game 100% over one day, and it's a very short but enjoyable trip. If you ever need to complete a game in a short time (and like Legend of Zelda 2D games), do consider Kamiko since it's still $3 for some time.

Thank you for reading.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (PS1)

A little peeved that I bamboozled myself out of 100% completion because I didn't notice that the door locked behind me when I entered the forbidden corridor (essentially the point of no return) and stupidly saved over it, so I wasn't able to go back and grab the upgraded knockback jinx or the wizard cards that I missed.

But nevertheless this has at least been fun revisit and I'm glad that I finally finished the game.

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth except for really real this time

I beat the ultimate superboss. It took uh, multiple tries. Once at Lv90, five-ish at Lv99 and roughly ten at Lv99(/99). It's definitely a unique boss compared to anything else I've fought in Etrian. Fortunately it wasnt immune to all ailments so Sleep Gas was perfect for giving me crucial time to set up my nuke with buffs, heal properly and build Union to negate the party wipe and leave it wide open.

ZvzUo6n.png
rJoKEUg.png
G7TnQy3.png
qViuXmM.png
ou8F28f.png
vintage ayy lmao
the following is more for me to search easily when I replay the game on advanced difficulty in the future, when I've inevitably forgotten all this. but it's a nice feeling to compile 50 hours of etrian thoughts into one place anyway, like the fuzzy feeling you get after finishing an anime that has a happy conclusive ending. I did the same with Untold 2 but I had a 1-2 year break between starting and finishing that game so there was less to write. get rid of it from my heartd before I start some other game.
Role; Offense
  • Exploration: She generally could OHKO most enemies of her choosing, with access to Bolt Slash she could ignore enemies with physical resistances as well and Air Blade let her hit back-row enemies too.
  • Bosses: Begin with Armor Pierce to lower the enemy defense and then swap to Helm Splitter once it was locked down with paralysis or panic. If it wasn't afflicted with an ailment I'd have her use Bolt Slash instead or Armor Pierce to increase the debuff duration. Bosses didn't usually last long enough to worry about re-applying Armor Pierce.
  • Final Boss: She actually didn't occupy the role of main offense in this battle. I had her use High Ground and Armor Pierce to buff attack and debuff defense respectively, before Buster Cannon was let loose to maximise the damage. High Ground was used during turns when it was asleep and she used Foot Sweep to constantly remove the evasion buff that the rocket body party would apply, while also dealing generally good AoE damage to postpone the party wipe and/or get rid of the Energy Tube before it healed the body.
Notable Skills/Passives:
  • Helm Splitter: The crown jewel of Blade Master Masurao, an attack that ignores resistance to Cut and does 600% damage at the cost of an abysmal hit rate. Had good synergy with the Panic and Paralysis status that my Harbinger could inflict, as they reduce evasion to 0 (50% chance w/ paralysis). Leg Binds are probably the most reliable way to reduce evasion though (Rover/Pugilist).
  • Armor Pierce: Perfect for my nuke team, reducing defense by 40% is nothing to wave off and probably went a long way to killing most bosses within 5~ turns.
  • Foot Sweep: Only really notable for the final boss, I rarely used it otherwise but considering it was her rare AoE attack and removed the pesky evasion boost, it was extremely important.
Other: Bolt Slash, Sword God, Air Blade, High Ground, Spirit Sword, Speed Up
Role; Tank/Nuke
  • Exploration: This is where he filled his role of tank, Line Guard to protect the vanguard and Mana Guard for elemental attacks. He also had Gunmount to recycle a Guard for a cheap cost and Barrage Wall for rare offense occasions.
  • Bosses: This is where he shined, Decoy Bunker would be able to deflect attention for a little while and build a few Gun Revenge stacks, follow up with Prep Artillery and then Buster Cannon and then the next turn would unleash a 2600% nuke. This is without applying possible Gun Revenge stacks, it's an absolutely busted combo.
  • Final Boss: Similar to the boss strategy, except he had to do it 4-5 times and surviving that long was difficult as he was completely focused on pulling off this combo which resulted in not having a dedicated tank on my team. When optimised it did 30k damage, roughly a whole third of the bosses health bar. Unfortunately that was hard to set up if the boss wasn't hit with sleep or if Gil got hit with an arm bind/stun.
Notable Skills/Passives:
  • Buster Cannon: The nuke. 1040% on its own, ignoring; Gun Revenge stacks, Prep Artillery's charge, enemy weaknesses, offense buffs or defense debuffs. This thing is so broken that if you had 4 Cannon Bearer Dragoon's and a Shaman for the final boss, you could probably kill it on turn 4 on advanced.
  • Prep Artillery: The charge. Increased damage by 2.5% and boosted accuracy so the nuke wouldn't dare miss. It's like the backbone of the nukes power.
  • Gun Revenge: This one comes into play less frequently since it requires your Decoy getting hit or blocking attacks with guards to build up stacks, useless if the boss never attacks. For the final boss in particular, the Aegis Shield Union Skill would also build stacks so you could actually use that to your advantage for a huge opening nuke.
Other: Line Guard, Mana Guard, Decoy Bunker, Gunmount, Phys ATK Up, Barrage Wall
Role; Offense/Debuff Support
  • Exploration: Usually had her spam Paralyzing Reap as it was cheap, a full line attack, had a high base chance of infliction and most enemies didn't resist it. If they did; Chaos Reap for similar reasons except it inflicted Panic. Auto-Miasma was important to not make her deadweight for most of the game.
  • Bosses: She was the most important piece of the puzzle for making bosses twenty times easier. With almost every boss being able to be paralysed (some could be even be panicked), it would cripple them for long enough that they would never get to attack. While they would be crippled, I could spam Frigid Reap which would hit twice and take advantage of Black Blade stacks.
  • Final Boss: She was in a weird spot, she would have to use Wilting Miasma to even hope to land an ailment. It was immune to panic. Paralysis was terrible for stopping its attacks. However, I had her use Sleep Gas instead which hit every body part and if it managed to land on the body, it would give me precious breathing room. Sleep on the back-row parts would also delay the party wipe. Her agility would let her go before anyone else so she could heal or negate the party wipe in a pinch if Sleep Gas worked.
Notable Skills/Passives:
  • Miasma Armor / Auto-Miasma: Miasma Armor is necessary to inflict ailments, as such I needed to refresh it frequently or use it a lot early so it wouldn't disappear in a tight spot. Auto-Miasma at max would always activate at the start of battle so that was also necessary for random encounters.
  • Black Blade / Black Shroud: Adds a stack whenever she inflicted an ailment, which boosted attack/defense respectively. Black Shroud in particular shined in the final boss fight as it was long enough to max out the stacks and the defense kept her alive despite the amount of different attacks it unleashed.
  • Wilting Miasma: Reduced the ailment resistance of all enemies, perfect for the final boss since there were potentially 7 parts at a time and the ailment rng was well against you. It was generally unnecessary against all other bosses and enemies on Basic because of the x1.2 ailment chance.
Other: Status ATK Up, Paralyzing Reap, Chaos Reap, Frigid Reap, Stifling Miasma
Role; Elemental Offense
  • Exploration: Early-game she would just use Tier 1 spells, mid-game she got access to a high INT Gun that let her take advantage of Clever Strike from the back-row for huge low-cost damage. By the end I returned to Tier 2 spells once I had rested, so I could max out Focus Chant and Cutting Costs to do heavy single target damage for potentially 0 cost.
  • Bosses: The most basic strategy; Focus Chant into Tier 2 spells every turn for consistent huge damage. I used Chain Blast once to fully bind the Lamia boss.
  • Final Boss: I had her use Amplifier twice at the start to have it active for most of the fight only refreshing when it was asleep. A Focus Chant Tier 2 spell combined with Amplifier was crucial to doing enough AoE damage to slowly clear out the body parts, to avoid the dangerous skills and delay the party wipe.
Notable Skills/Passives:
  • Quick-Chant / Focus Chant: Quick Chant allows any Chant skills to be used without wasting a turn, at a permanent +5 TP cost to the Chant skills. Focus Chant increased the damage by x2.25 and makes all AoE skills into single-target so you could avoid removing some ailments like Sleep, or hitting enemies with counters.
  • Amplifier: Increases her elemental damage by 45% which gives her Tier 2 spells a boost in the case that I needed the AoE portion of them that Focus Chant removes. Which was necessary for the body parts in the final boss.
  • Explosion / Hailstorm / Thunderbreak: The Tier 2 spells. They all do the same AoE damage just with different elemental affinities.
Other: Cutting Costs, Clever Strike, Chain Blast
Role; Support
  • Exploration: Just spammed whatever Prayer was best for the situation, often Ruinous Prayer for the attack boost however Exorcism Prayer for the ailment resistance was good sometimes. The main purpose was the passive healing from the Prayers.
  • Bosses: Similar to my exploration strategy, Ruinous Prayer for offense and then a secondary one for the situation (Aegis for defense, Exorcism for ailment protection), with the third being an elemental prayer that I could dispell with Dance Oracle to boost that elements damage for a turn, generally always the Blaze Prayer combined with Buster Cannon.
  • Final Boss: Again, not much changed. However the Brouni race's Aegis Shield Union Skill was almost required for this fight unless you're a god damn madman. Afterwards it was Ruinous Prayer for offensive boosts to help clear out body parts quicker and Blaze Prayer and Dance Oracle to increase Buster Cannon and Explosion's damage as often as possible. It was more important to only use two buffs in this fight because I was also using buffs from other party members, so I couldn't risk overriding them.
Notable Skills/Passives:
  • Aegis Shield: Easily the best Union Skill in the game for the final boss, letting you ignore all damage for one turn. It blocks the party wipe and also builds Gun Revenge stacks for a Dragoon. Pretty much unnecessary for any other fight though, Hygieia's Bowl works better in those.
  • Prayer Mastery / Gospel / Appease Spirits / Benevolence: The skills that increase her passive healing potential, every time she casted a prayer she would recover some health, and every time a buff was applied the party member would gain health when attacking and when being attacked. You don't need a medic when you've got this angel.
  • Blaze Prayer / Dance Oracle: Specifically this combo works wonders. Add fire to the party with Blaze and then remove it from herself with Dance Oracle to increase all fire damage by 50% for the turn, with the right timing it's bonkers.
Other: Ruinous Prayer, Hygieia's Bowl, Aegis Prayer, Exorcism Prayer

fuck dude etrian games are so good, I can just ramble for hours about this shit.

Kirby: Star Allies

Doesn't quite beat out Planet Robobot for the title my favorite modern Kirby, but still an enjoyable time, as usual. If you like the series you'll probably like this.

BEEP

This is one of the games in my queue that I didn't get to see the gameplay of, and when I saw it in action, it felt strange mainly due to the overly simple and plain graphics. That doesn't really stop me from playing the game, as you can tell due to me posting in the "finished games" thread.

Anyway, this game is kind of a platformer and shooter, where you control a robot that can shoot bullets and use his anti-gravity ray to manipulate objects. The control layout is on the difficult side mainly because doing two simple things at once makes the experience complex. In this case, you have platforming and shooting things, which is a common control scheme for first-person shooters (WASD + mouse), but thankfully the level design doesn't push you to do both intensively.

The game is on the tough side. The enemies are all a threat in some way, even the first enemy you are introduced to. The environment also gets less friendly in later levels, with the penultimate world being the ice world with freezing water, slippery surfaces, and walls that have to be climbed on from a flat surface. Moreover, the final world is the lava world where not only is there deadly lava that will insta-kill, it also has narrower platforms and objects that are anti-gravity anchors (similar to a hookshot once connected), and less forgiving enemy placements. I managed to get almost every collectible except for one, but I feel that the game is enough for me and I consider it complete since I cannot find that last collectible, and there aren't any guides online since this game's not all that popular enough to get one.

I am planning to complete at least one game beginning with every alphabet on my Steam library, and now that I have got my "B" game done, I am now going to focus on the next game that starts with a "D".

Thank you for reading.

Splasher (Switch)

The game is about shooting ink on surfaces and using them to your advantage. Sounds like Splatoon? Well although both games do technically use ink as a means for travel, both games are different if you play through them. For one, Splasher is a 2D game so that immediately makes it different. Moreover, the player have three different types of liquids they can use: the red ink is sticky, the yellow ink is bouncy and water can wash away any ink. The fact that you have these options is another reason you don't approach it like a Splatoon game.

A fun fact is that this game is made by a few of the modern Rayman 2D games, and you could see some of the influence here, such as the focus in speed-running in this game, as there are Time Attack and Speed Run modes here. There are even a couple of levels that are named after Rayman's 2D games (Origins and Legends) too! I feel that Time Attack is a lot more difficult in this game compared to Rayman only because the times are a lot more strict, and because of that I didn't feel like getting Gold in all levels.

If you want to see the ending screen, here you go:
DZmbFzPVQAAdB02.jpg

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: Speaking of similarities between this game and Splatoon, I found this Splatoon art that is likely to be made in the Japanese version of the game since we English folks never see it:
DYjxVUeUQAM51Ek.jpg

Mario Party: The Top 100

Yeah guys, face it, this game proves that the Mario Party series is dead.

I got this game as an Easter present. At first, I was quite skeptical about this game, with it being the lowest-rated Mario Party and everything. But despite my suspicions, I saw what every critic out there failed to see: it showed us how underrated a dead series was. It is targeted toward multiple audiences as well: newcomers to the series get to sample each of the Mario Party games, while series veterans get a memorial of all ten Mario Parties and what made each one of them great.

A lot of its modes originated from previous Mario Party games. Minigame Island returns, last seen in Mario Party 2. Decathlon also returns from Mario Party 5, and Minigame Match is a revamped version of Balloon Bash from Star Rush. The game also introduces a new mode called Championship Battles, which allows you to play five consecutive minigames—and you choose them! Free Play and Collection are also present.

Its minigame selection wasn’t the best, but it was good and not a single minigame dissatisfied me. But one of the first things I noticed was that the minigames were not balanced; Mario Party 5 has 17 minigames, while Mario Party 8 (my favorite Mario Party btw) only had three! *gasp* Minigames like Specter Inspector, Block and Roll, and Bowser’s Wicked Wheel are absent! *double gasp* Luckily, its minigame selection is enjoyable, and a lot of them impressed me (the only console MP games I’ve played are 8, 9, and 10 to make things clear). Trust me, you will never stop playing Eatsa Pizza. Some minigames work better with the 3DS than on their original consoles; you will never lose Don’t Look again due to a Wiimote misconception.

The game is rather shallow in content, though. I got 300 Mini Stars, unlocked all minigames, and completed the Collection in a matter of hours. I am a completionist and will not give up on a game until I have completed it 100% (or whatever the maximum is). As such, I am used to spending 12+ months focused on a single game. In comparison to some long games, this one could use a lot more content. But I am happy to say that is my only big criticism!

So if you want to buy a Mario Party game for the 3DS, here are my recommendations. Buy Island Tour if you have a lot of friends to play with. Buy Star Rush if you play alone most of the time. But Top 100 if you are a newcomer to the series, or if you’re a series veteran who wants to experience Mario Party again in a short amount of time.

Puddle (Wii U)

Another Wii U game finished, and I still have like around 30 of them to go, but progress is progress.

So basically in this game you control gravity in most levels, but there are some levels where you control the vehicle. Because of the control of gravity, the controls are basically tilting left and tilting right, which will control the flow of liquid. The game features different liquids with different properties, such as the traditional water, weed-killer that kills plant life and lava that will become hardened if not heated enough. The game is not that easy because there is a minimum amount of liquid required to finish each level. The last level is especially brutal due to several traps that will absorb the liquid, but I managed to finish the level with the bare minimum.

Thank you for reading.

Back